+ Reply to Thread
Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst ... 4567 LastLast

Thread: Cheapest speaker options for BIG sound

Location: Out on the wild and windy moors Lancs / Yorks Border

I'm Andy.

You could have a look for some Transmission Line speakers, IMF or maybe TDL's they are the only other speakers I have heard that room fill like Cookys JBL and Tannoys do.
    Analogue
    401 / PU7 / AT33ev
    Longdog Audio Quartz turntable PSU
    Longdog Audio MCJ1 - Prototype Phonostage
    Digital
    Innuos Zen Mini Mk 3
    Topping D50s
    Caiman Seg & Dorado
    Cambridge CXC
    Amps
    Tron Seven Linestage
    Bel Canto Set 40 or Nick Gorham built 300B Set Monoblocks
    Speakers
    Tannoy GRF Memory.
    Tannoy ST100.

I'm Martin.

Quote Originally Posted by Andy831 View Post
    You could have a look for some Transmission Line speakers, IMF or maybe TDL's they are the only other speakers I have heard that room fill like Cookys JBL and Tannoys do.
    I've got some IMF TLS 50s and they do have that weight to them, but they are not quite the same. Probably as close as you will get for budget money, though. I suspect the professional PMC TLs would do the job too but then you are back into big money and you might as well just get the JBLs.
    Current Lash Up:

TEAC VRDS 701T > Sony TAE1000ESD > Krell KSA50S > JM Labs Focal Electra 926.

I'm Geoff.

Quote Originally Posted by Macca View Post
    I've got some IMF TLS 50s and they do have that weight to them, but they are not quite the same
    I know the TLS 50. They do deep and solid, but don't really slam.

I've just remembered another speaker that packs a surprising wallop and in not too huge a box. The original KEF Concerto. Bung 'em on a clean punchy amp and they really boogie!

And they're much more tonally accurate than the Goodmans, Celestion and Wharfedale competitors. £100 to £150 picks up a decent pair. They are comparatively a bargain these days.

I'm Taz.

+1 on the older KEF range, anything up to the 90s.

I have 2 pairs of KEF C200 SW Subs, one set paired with KEF C15s and the other with KEF C25s and both sound extremely clear, loud and more bass than I could ever use. Idea behind them was to take the lower frequencies from the bookshelf speakers so they could achieve better clarity and sound which does work really well.
    Also have a pair of KEF K160s connected to my AV which provide plenty of sound which too is clear and detailed.

I'm Martin.

The thing about bass is that is not just bass or no bass. Bass should have depth, slam, articulation, presence and tonality. There's very few speakers that can do all five to any degree and even fewer can do all five really well. And the amp and source play a part here too. No speaker can replace what is not there to begin with.

When I got the IMFs hooked up I could not believe how much bass energy there was on some recordings that I'd previously thought were a little bass light in production. As Geoff says, they don't do the slam so well. Or the articulation. But the depth and the presence!
    Current Lash Up:

TEAC VRDS 701T > Sony TAE1000ESD > Krell KSA50S > JM Labs Focal Electra 926.

I'm frank.

I wonder how much driver diameter /size of wavefront plays a part as I too fail to get that scale thing even when subs underpin a medium say Mission 770/Spendor BC1 type of box.
    I also have 12" JBL's with Array horns that also can do scale but not well as the 15" Tannoys or 15" JBL's but 12" Tannoys in decent cabs can do it in spades.
    I also heard Impulse H2's at Strummers place make some ATC 50 A's sound weedy and small-The H2 were/are a bargain in that regard. Tannoy used to call it 'expanding sound source' in the olden days(when referring to their rear loaded horn cabs.

I'm Geoff.

Yes. It's surprising how many speakers are well down on output by the time they go below maybe 45Hz. You don't notice on most music, but then if you have speakers that deliver a real 30Hz and below if you're lucky, the difference is very obvious with the right recording.

Try playing 'Are You Shpongled' through the average speaker and the 'boomps' on the first track intro are faint and nothing spectacular. Through my Cheviots, the 'boomps' are transformed into powerful and very deep wallops.

I'm Grant.

Of course you can have a big scale sound without a lot of bass too. I prefer it that way tbh. Bass should be seen and not heard
    Regards,
    Grant .... ؠ ......Don't be such a big girl's blouse

I've said it before and I'll say it again: democracy simply-doesn't-work
    .... ..... ...... ...... ................... ..... ..... ..... ..... .....
    FIIO K7 BT, M11 PLUS, BTR7, KA5 - OPPO BDP-103D - PANASONIC UB450 - PANASONIC 4K ULTRA HD TV - PIXEL 6 - AVANTREE LR BLUETOOTH - 2* X600 SOUNDCORE - HEADPHONES INCLUDE, FIIO, NURAPHONES', FOCAL, OPPO, BOSE, CAMBRIDGE, BOWER & WILKINS, DEVIALET, MARSHALL, SONY, MITCHELL & JOHNSTON - 2*ZBOOK'S- MERCURY BD ROM, ROON, QOBUZ, TIDAL, PLEX, CYBERLINK, JRIVER - MULTI HDD'S -

Oh my god! There's nothing wrong with the bidet is there?

“Nothing discloses real character like the use of power. It is easy for the weak to be gentle. Most people can bear adversity. But if you wish to know what a man really is, give him power. This is the supreme test. It is the glory of Lincoln that, having almost absolute power, he never abused it, except on the side of mercy".

“You see these dictators on their pedestals, surrounded by the bayonets of their soldiers and the truncheons of their police ... yet in their hearts there is unspoken fear. They are afraid of words and thoughts: words spoken abroad, thoughts stirring at home -- all the more powerful because forbidden -- terrify them. A little mouse of thought appears in the room, and even the mightiest potentates are thrown into panic.”

"You don't have free will. You have the appearance of free will.”

“There's a war out there, old friend. A world war. And it's not about who's got the most bullets. It's about who controls the information. What we see and hear, how we work, what we think... it's all about the information!”

***SMILE, BE HAPPY***

I'm Geoff.

My big Coral horns had monstrous bass slam, but little output below about 40Hz. The the impact above that was huge though. They'd have yer trousers flapping against yer legs! I guess the whopping magnets and 102db sensitivity helped.

I'm Taz.

Quote Originally Posted by walpurgis View Post
    ...the whopping magnets and 102db sensitivity helped.
    That's what I thought made the difference between two drivers of the same size.

Was reading something about the evolution of the KEF company a while back and there was something about the engineers trying to get more air movement from smaller drivers with bigger magnets, more coil and better materials which they did successfully.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst ... 4567 LastLast