A friend of mine, who is a hi fi salesman, told me the following incident that happened to him:

He went to visit his steady customer (he calls his customers 'patients'), and the guy bragged how he had finally managed to make his digital system sound like a pure analog system. Gone are the issues with glassy, brittle tiring sound that has those unpleasant metallic overtones that people are always complaining about when reviewing digital playback.

So my friend was curious to hear this new pinnacle of digital playback, sat down for a listen, and immediately noticed that something's off. He examined his patient's hi fi and realized that the guy somehow managed to blow his tweeters on both speakers. His hi fi couldn't basically reproduce any frequencies above 4 kHz!

OK, that's a hilarious anecdote, but my point here is that later on I heard the exact same story that allegedly happened to some other guy in some other city.

Hmmm, that looks like a perfect urban myth in the making.

Then later on I heard a story about some therapist who was working with a blind and mentally disabled woman who was at that time in her forties. Part of his therapy was to play music while working with her. Well, the storyline goes that each time he'd put a CD on the patient would complain loudly, and if he would then switch to the turntable, she would smile.

Another urban myth?

Do you have any other such myths and legends, heroic stories that propagate through the community and then get retold as if they happened to a particular person?