+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Audiophile urban myths and legends

I'm openingabottleofwine.

Quote Originally Posted by DSJR View Post
    Best I can come up with is Isobariks sounding so smeared most of the time, it didn't matter what the wiring was to them. If you had them out of phase with each other and in a reasonable size room, it didn't seem to matter.. The active version could be even worse, as inverting the phase of the mids or tweets from the bass, made little difference in the large dem room our London store had...
    I won't ask you which London store that was, but when I heard the Isobaraks at a well-known emporium in Wigmore Street, and commented/complained that the sound was unfocused and 'swimming about', the demonstrator simply replied: "How do you know it's not meant to sound like that?".
    Barry

I'm Neil.

Quote Originally Posted by Barry View Post
    I won't ask you which London store that was, but when I heard the Isobaraks at a well-known emporium in Wigmore Street, and commented/complained that the sound was unfocused and 'swimming about', the demonstrator simply replied: "How do you know it's not meant to sound like that?".
    He he he, or: 'are you sure that your Isobariks are set up properly? No one really knows how...'

I've heard crazy things like 'if you move them, you need to wait until they settle down'.

Such is the folklore associated with some Linn gear...
    Mana Acoustics Racks / Bright Star IsoNodes Decoupling >> Allo DigiOne Player >> Pedja Rogic's Audial Model S DAC + Pioneer PL-71 turntable / Vista Audio phono-1 mk II / Denon PCL-5 headshell / Reson Reca >> LFD DLS >> LFD PA2M (SE) >> Royd RR3s.

I'm NotTakingLifeTooSeriouslyTheseDays.

Sounds surprisingly good!
    Quote Originally Posted by martian sunrise View Post
    "Today scientists have substituted mathematics for experiments, and they wander off through equation after equation, and eventually build a structure which has no relation to reality"
    Nikola Tesla

Its now a conspiracy theory to believe that the Immune system is capable of doing the job it was designed to do.
    A fish is only as healthy as the water its swimming in ! [Dr Robert Young]

www.tubedistinctions.co.uk

Matthew 5:10

I'm Grant.

sounds like cher
    Regards,
    Grant .... ؠ ......Don't be such a big girl's blouse

I've said it before and I'll say it again: democracy simply-doesn't-work
    .... ..... ...... ...... ................... ..... ..... ..... ..... .....
    FIIO K7 BT, M11 PLUS, BTR7, KA5 - OPPO BDP-103D - PANASONIC UB450 - PANASONIC 4K ULTRA HD TV - PIXEL 6 - AVANTREE LR BLUETOOTH - 2* X600 SOUNDCORE - HEADPHONES INCLUDE, FIIO, NURAPHONES', FOCAL, OPPO, BOSE, CAMBRIDGE, BOWER & WILKINS, DEVIALET, MARSHALL, SONY, MITCHELL & JOHNSTON - 2*ZBOOK'S- MERCURY BD ROM, ROON, QOBUZ, TIDAL, PLEX, CYBERLINK, JRIVER - MULTI HDD'S -

Oh my god! There's nothing wrong with the bidet is there?

“Nothing discloses real character like the use of power. It is easy for the weak to be gentle. Most people can bear adversity. But if you wish to know what a man really is, give him power. This is the supreme test. It is the glory of Lincoln that, having almost absolute power, he never abused it, except on the side of mercy".

“You see these dictators on their pedestals, surrounded by the bayonets of their soldiers and the truncheons of their police ... yet in their hearts there is unspoken fear. They are afraid of words and thoughts: words spoken abroad, thoughts stirring at home -- all the more powerful because forbidden -- terrify them. A little mouse of thought appears in the room, and even the mightiest potentates are thrown into panic.”

"You don't have free will. You have the appearance of free will.”

“There's a war out there, old friend. A world war. And it's not about who's got the most bullets. It's about who controls the information. What we see and hear, how we work, what we think... it's all about the information!”

***SMILE, BE HAPPY***

I'm Roland.

Default Today I kept turning up my Sub-woofer

I started with gain and cutoff on minimum on my right subwoofer today...
    Gently turning it up, with the music on, listening carefully with my ear close... nope nothing yet
    Put some other bassy music on and kept turning it up... still no bass from it...
    Kept turning it up, thinking maybe I mis-wired it ? kept turning up... with my hand now gently on the cone edge waiting for it to vibrate..
    should be thumping a bit by now.... this thing is dead !

Looked at the mains switch... duh, on the OFF position !

I'm David.

I'm Nat.

Sounds like Pro Rock
    Quote Originally Posted by martian sunrise View Post

I'm Nick.

Then later on I heard a story about some therapist who was working with a blind and mentally disabled woman who was at that time in her forties. Part of his therapy was to play music while working with her. Well, the storyline goes that each time he'd put a CD on the patient would complain loudly, and if he would then switch to the turntable, she would smile.
    I believe this 'myth' has some basis in fact - if I remember rightly it appears in the fascinating book Perfecting Sound Forever.
    I don't have the book to hand at this moment but there's a story in there about a therapist who was using music as part of his treatment of patients with depression and anxiety. This was in the early 80s and he was having great results using vinyl LPs. In the late 80s he switched to CDs, using the same music, and the therapy no longer worked! The patients no longer reported getting the same benefits from the music when it was played as 16 bit/44.1kHz digital.

On a related point, I read an interview with Tim de Paravicini recently where he said he had calculated that if we wish digital playback to equal analog reproduction we would have to use a resolution of 24 bit/400kHz.
    I wonder if digital would then have the same therapeutic benefits as analog again?!

I'm openingabottleofwine.

Quote Originally Posted by nickbaba View Post
    I believe this 'myth' has some basis in fact - if I remember rightly it appears in the fascinating book Perfecting Sound Forever.
    I don't have the book to hand at this moment but there's a story in there about a therapist who was using music as part of his treatment of patients with depression and anxiety. This was in the early 80s and he was having great results using vinyl LPs. In the late 80s he switched to CDs, using the same music, and the therapy no longer worked! The patients no longer reported getting the same benefits from the music when it was played as 16 bit/44.1kHz digital.

On a related point, I read an interview with Tim de Paravicini recently where he said he had calculated that if we wish digital playback to equal analog reproduction we would have to use a resolution of 24 bit/400kHz.
    I wonder if digital would then have the same therapeutic benefits as analog again?!
    CD players have moved on considerably since the '80s. I heard the early ones and they were dire in comparison to LPs. These days I think that both are equally good in their own ways; different in presentation, but just as good. (And just as amazing, in that a satisfying and emotionally involving sound is wrought from two seemingly clumsy replay technologies.)
    Barry

I'm Geoff.

Quote Originally Posted by Barry View Post
    CD players have moved on considerably since the '80s. I heard the early ones and they were dire in comparison to LPs. These days I think that both are equally good in their own ways; different in presentation, but just as good. (And just as amazing, in that a satisfying and emotionally involving sound is wrought from two seemingly clumsy replay technologies.)
    I agree with that Barry. Both can be very enjoyable done right.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast