+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast

Thread: Audiophile urban myths and legends

I'm Nick.

I have nothing against digital - when I'm composing and recording music I work entirely in the digital domain (just like 99.99% of people these days), mostly at 24bit/48kHz, and it sounds fine to me.

I wonder what the therapist's clients were experiencing however, assuming the story is true and not just a myth?

At the time I recall the therapist blamed it on the fact that digital music 'samples' sound in many many discrete slices per second, and he felt that the body was aware of that on some level, that the music was not flowing continuously as it does with the smoothly fluctuating voltages of the analog realm.

I'm Graham.

There was a console just inside the entrance to one of the cutting rooms where local productions were cut from the final master tape to lacquer. On the console facia there were two black knobs, marked "Highs" and "Lows" respectively. As a newbie, I asked the cutting engineer what the console was for and he told me, after swearing me to secrecy, that it was for producers to "tweak" the final sound. When I expressed my amazement that anyone would be allowed to interfere with the final lacquer, he told me to open the bottom of the console cabinet and handed me a screwdriver to turn the catches. I did so and looked inside - there were no connections to anything in there and it didn't do a thing to the sound. The cutting engineer explained further that local producers felt that it was their right to oversee any part of their own production and that they would come in to the cutting room when he was cutting their production and insist on "More bass" or More tops." The cutting engineer would invite them to tweak for themselves, using the dummy console.

Everything is subjective...
    GrahamS - It's not what you hear that counts, it's what you think you hear........

Present Kit: NAD 326BEE, NAD C515BEE CD player, JVC QL-7 DD turntable, JVC Tonearm, Shure M97Ve, Audio Technica AT95EX, Pickering V15, JVC Z1E, Wharfedale Diamond 230s, Visual Rio interconnects and My Ears.

I'm Dennis.

When TdP offered me a job in '91, he also declared that he was computer illiterate.

I'm Geoff.

I dare say most of us also were back then.

I'm openingabottleofwine.

Quote Originally Posted by walpurgis View Post
    I dare say most of us also were back then.

I still am!
    Barry

I'm Grant.

Not sure i'm computer literate, but I can write my name and count to 5
    Regards,
    Grant .... ؠ ......Don't be such a big girl's blouse

I've said it before and I'll say it again: democracy simply-doesn't-work
    .... ..... ...... ...... ................... ..... ..... ..... ..... .....
    FIIO K7 BT, M11 PLUS, BTR7, KA5 - OPPO BDP-103D - PANASONIC UB450 - PANASONIC 4K ULTRA HD TV - PIXEL 6 - AVANTREE LR BLUETOOTH - 2* X600 SOUNDCORE - HEADPHONES INCLUDE, FIIO, NURAPHONES', FOCAL, OPPO, BOSE, CAMBRIDGE, BOWER & WILKINS, DEVIALET, MARSHALL, SONY, MITCHELL & JOHNSTON - 2*ZBOOK'S- MERCURY BD ROM, ROON, QOBUZ, TIDAL, PLEX, CYBERLINK, JRIVER - MULTI HDD'S -

Oh my god! There's nothing wrong with the bidet is there?

“Nothing discloses real character like the use of power. It is easy for the weak to be gentle. Most people can bear adversity. But if you wish to know what a man really is, give him power. This is the supreme test. It is the glory of Lincoln that, having almost absolute power, he never abused it, except on the side of mercy".

“You see these dictators on their pedestals, surrounded by the bayonets of their soldiers and the truncheons of their police ... yet in their hearts there is unspoken fear. They are afraid of words and thoughts: words spoken abroad, thoughts stirring at home -- all the more powerful because forbidden -- terrify them. A little mouse of thought appears in the room, and even the mightiest potentates are thrown into panic.”

"You don't have free will. You have the appearance of free will.”

“There's a war out there, old friend. A world war. And it's not about who's got the most bullets. It's about who controls the information. What we see and hear, how we work, what we think... it's all about the information!”

***SMILE, BE HAPPY***

I'm Martin.

I was then but I'm not now.

Unless someone wants a COBOL programme knocking up?

No, I thought not.
    Current Lash Up:

TEAC VRDS 701T > Sony TAE1000ESD > Krell KSA50S > JM Labs Focal Electra 926.

I'm Mike.

Quote Originally Posted by Macca View Post
    I was then but I'm not now.

Unless someone wants a COBOL programme knocking up?

No, I thought not.
    Gosh but that reminds me that my (brief) job at N.C.R. Baker St. in 1970 was writing COBOL just before I went to college. I had no idea what was going on then and this has stayed with me since ! I do remember the room full of gigantic R2R machines all whirring away.

I'm Nick.

There was a console just inside the entrance to one of the cutting rooms where local productions were cut from the final master tape to lacquer. On the console facia there were two black knobs, marked "Highs" and "Lows" respectively. As a newbie, I asked the cutting engineer what the console was for and he told me, after swearing me to secrecy, that it was for producers to "tweak" the final sound. When I expressed my amazement that anyone would be allowed to interfere with the final lacquer, he told me to open the bottom of the console cabinet and handed me a screwdriver to turn the catches. I did so and looked inside - there were no connections to anything in there and it didn't do a thing to the sound. The cutting engineer explained further that local producers felt that it was their right to oversee any part of their own production and that they would come in to the cutting room when he was cutting their production and insist on "More bass" or More tops." The cutting engineer would invite them to tweak for themselves, using the dummy console.
    Lol - that's a classic! Thanks for sharing that - gave me a giggle. Thing is I bet they could hear the difference too, and went away happy!

I'm Graham.

Quote Originally Posted by nickbaba View Post
    Lol - that's a classic! Thanks for sharing that - gave me a giggle. Thing is I bet they could hear the difference too, and went away happy!
    They could (or at least they said they could) and they did!
    GrahamS - It's not what you hear that counts, it's what you think you hear........

Present Kit: NAD 326BEE, NAD C515BEE CD player, JVC QL-7 DD turntable, JVC Tonearm, Shure M97Ve, Audio Technica AT95EX, Pickering V15, JVC Z1E, Wharfedale Diamond 230s, Visual Rio interconnects and My Ears.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast