+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Using a budget DVD player + DAC to play CDs

I'm Steve.

Default Using a budget DVD player + DAC to play CDs

Hi guys,

I'm putting together a low-cost second system, and I was wondering if I could use a DVD player, via digital coax, via an SMSL DAC into an amp for CD duties.

Is this feasible? Is this a shit idea? Would I be better off buying a CD player? I've already got the DAC, used DVD players are super-cheap and if I can use the DAC to benefit the sound quality of CD output, that would be great.

Any thoughts?
    I just dropped in, to see what condition my condition was in

T/T: Inspire Monarch, X200 tonearm, Ortofon Quintet Blue. Phono: Project Tube Box CD: Marantz CD6006 (UK Edition); Amp: Musical Fidelity A5 Integrated.
    Speakers: Zu Omen Def, REL T9i subwoofer. Cables: Atlas Equator interconnects, Atlas Hyper 3.0 speaker cables

T'other system:
    Echo Dot, Amptastic Mini One,Arcam A75 integrated, Celestion 5's, BK XLS-200 DF

A/V:
    LG 55" OLED, Panasonic Blu Ray, Sony a/v amp, MA Radius speakers, REL Storm sub

Forget the past, it's gone. And don't worry about the future, it doesn't exist. There is only NOW.

KICKSTARTER: ENABLING SCAMMERS SINCE 2009

I'm Grant.

Default Using a budget DVD player + DAC to play CDs

No problem. Try a pioneer DVD 717 or 737. Both good transports and fairly cheap. Get a nice one for around 40£

Ive got 2. Bev has 2 too lol
    Regards,
    Grant .... ؠ ......Don't be such a big girl's blouse

I've said it before and I'll say it again: democracy simply-doesn't-work
    .... ..... ...... ...... ................... ..... ..... ..... ..... .....
    FIIO K7 BT, M11 PLUS, BTR7, KA5 - OPPO BDP-103D - PANASONIC UB450 - PANASONIC 4K ULTRA HD TV - PIXEL 6 - AVANTREE LR BLUETOOTH - 2* X600 SOUNDCORE - HEADPHONES INCLUDE, FIIO, NURAPHONES', FOCAL, OPPO, BOSE, CAMBRIDGE, BOWER & WILKINS, DEVIALET, MARSHALL, SONY, MITCHELL & JOHNSTON - 2*ZBOOK'S- MERCURY BD ROM, ROON, QOBUZ, TIDAL, PLEX, CYBERLINK, JRIVER - MULTI HDD'S -

Oh my god! There's nothing wrong with the bidet is there?

“Nothing discloses real character like the use of power. It is easy for the weak to be gentle. Most people can bear adversity. But if you wish to know what a man really is, give him power. This is the supreme test. It is the glory of Lincoln that, having almost absolute power, he never abused it, except on the side of mercy".

“You see these dictators on their pedestals, surrounded by the bayonets of their soldiers and the truncheons of their police ... yet in their hearts there is unspoken fear. They are afraid of words and thoughts: words spoken abroad, thoughts stirring at home -- all the more powerful because forbidden -- terrify them. A little mouse of thought appears in the room, and even the mightiest potentates are thrown into panic.”

"You don't have free will. You have the appearance of free will.”

“There's a war out there, old friend. A world war. And it's not about who's got the most bullets. It's about who controls the information. What we see and hear, how we work, what we think... it's all about the information!”

***SMILE, BE HAPPY***

I'm nigel.

Ooh spooky....I have a SMSL Sanscrit DAC and recently purchased a Pioneer DV 717 dvd player from a local Cash Generator for only 20 quid.
    The player was a absolute steal at the price, well built, heavy and still looks the biz.

I got it as a backup and recently gave it a run through.
    The transport is IMO a better unit than the one built in to my Roksan CDP and the picture quality, even through Scart is very good.

Out of interest I fed it into my Dac to gauge the sound quality.
    Until then I REALLY believed the "bits is bits" line and expected no discernable difference.

I noted a slight increase in topend and very small loss of detail across both optical and coax outputs.......but only on rapid switching between players.

If my CDP died I could easily live with the DVD player as transport....

Give it a go.

NIGE.

I'm Geoff.

Quote Originally Posted by struth View Post
    No problem. Try a pioneer DVD 717 or 737. Both good transports and fairly cheap. Get a nice one for around 40£

Ive got 2. Bev has 2 too lol
    I've got one as well.

I'm Grant.

Mine are just gathering dust at moment as is my lovely big denon.. went up in world with an oppo
    Regards,
    Grant .... ؠ ......Don't be such a big girl's blouse

I've said it before and I'll say it again: democracy simply-doesn't-work
    .... ..... ...... ...... ................... ..... ..... ..... ..... .....
    FIIO K7 BT, M11 PLUS, BTR7, KA5 - OPPO BDP-103D - PANASONIC UB450 - PANASONIC 4K ULTRA HD TV - PIXEL 6 - AVANTREE LR BLUETOOTH - 2* X600 SOUNDCORE - HEADPHONES INCLUDE, FIIO, NURAPHONES', FOCAL, OPPO, BOSE, CAMBRIDGE, BOWER & WILKINS, DEVIALET, MARSHALL, SONY, MITCHELL & JOHNSTON - 2*ZBOOK'S- MERCURY BD ROM, ROON, QOBUZ, TIDAL, PLEX, CYBERLINK, JRIVER - MULTI HDD'S -

Oh my god! There's nothing wrong with the bidet is there?

“Nothing discloses real character like the use of power. It is easy for the weak to be gentle. Most people can bear adversity. But if you wish to know what a man really is, give him power. This is the supreme test. It is the glory of Lincoln that, having almost absolute power, he never abused it, except on the side of mercy".

“You see these dictators on their pedestals, surrounded by the bayonets of their soldiers and the truncheons of their police ... yet in their hearts there is unspoken fear. They are afraid of words and thoughts: words spoken abroad, thoughts stirring at home -- all the more powerful because forbidden -- terrify them. A little mouse of thought appears in the room, and even the mightiest potentates are thrown into panic.”

"You don't have free will. You have the appearance of free will.”

“There's a war out there, old friend. A world war. And it's not about who's got the most bullets. It's about who controls the information. What we see and hear, how we work, what we think... it's all about the information!”

***SMILE, BE HAPPY***

I'm Michael.

Quote Originally Posted by Pigmy Pony View Post
    Hi guys,

I'm putting together a low-cost second system, and I was wondering if I could use a DVD player, via digital coax, via an SMSL DAC into an amp for CD duties.

Is this feasible? Is this a shit idea? Would I be better off buying a CD player? I've already got the DAC, used DVD players are super-cheap and if I can use the DAC to benefit the sound quality of CD output, that would be great.

Any thoughts?
    what speakers are you thinking of getting ???

I'm Michael.

Quote Originally Posted by walpurgis View Post
    I've got one as well.
    would this DVD player and dac sound better than my pioneer stable platter CD player Geoff ?

I'm Steve.

Quote Originally Posted by Michael loves music View Post
    what speakers are you thinking of getting ???
    Hi Michael,

I was given a pair of Celestion 5's by a fellow AOS'r last year, minus the tweeters. I bought a scruffy pair of 3's with mint tweeters last week.

I connected my Echo dot to the amp (Amptastic Mini-1 and am streaming songs. Everything working, but sound is a bit "sat upon". I'm going to connect my BK XLS200 and see what that does for the sound. I'm hoping I can connect the sub to one of the speakers, as these amps don't give you much space when connecting speaker wires.

Grant, thanks for the suggestion. The Pioneers sound ideal for me and I like that I can look for a particular model. Otherwise I would have probably bought the first piece of crap that came along.
    I just dropped in, to see what condition my condition was in

T/T: Inspire Monarch, X200 tonearm, Ortofon Quintet Blue. Phono: Project Tube Box CD: Marantz CD6006 (UK Edition); Amp: Musical Fidelity A5 Integrated.
    Speakers: Zu Omen Def, REL T9i subwoofer. Cables: Atlas Equator interconnects, Atlas Hyper 3.0 speaker cables

T'other system:
    Echo Dot, Amptastic Mini One,Arcam A75 integrated, Celestion 5's, BK XLS-200 DF

A/V:
    LG 55" OLED, Panasonic Blu Ray, Sony a/v amp, MA Radius speakers, REL Storm sub

Forget the past, it's gone. And don't worry about the future, it doesn't exist. There is only NOW.

KICKSTARTER: ENABLING SCAMMERS SINCE 2009

I'm Geoff.

Quote Originally Posted by Michael loves music View Post
    would this DVD player and dac sound better than my pioneer stable platter CD player Geoff ?
    If used as transports, I doubt there's be much in it, but my money would be on the CD player coming out best. My PS-S505 Precision sounds better than the DV-717, but as I say, there's not a lot in it. Can't comment on your DAC as I don't know what you're using.

I'm Michael.

I don’t have a dac Geoff just Denon 350se amp van damme interconnects and tannoy Mercury v1 speakers

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast