+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Information regarding digital amplifier

I'm Colin.

Excellent thanks.

I'm Geoff.

Quote Originally Posted by Liffy99 View Post
    Lyngdorf ?
    Yes. I took a look. It seems they do use a digital method. They are not very specific about the workings.

Are they the only Hi-Fi company to amplify digitally?

I'm Colin.

In regard to software there are two which seem to be highly regarded,talked about but what’s the thoughts on EAC is it a viable alternative?

I'm Geoff.

Quote Originally Posted by Colin2040 View Post
    In regard to software there are two which seem to be highly regarded,talked about but what’s the thoughts on EAC is it a viable alternative?
    EAC is worthwhile as an occasional tool to try and rip and dodgy cd. Itkeeps scanning and scanning again to try and determine the correct "bits". If EAC cannot produce a faultless rip nothing will. Downside: very slow!

I strongly recommend DbPoweramp and have bought a lifetime license. It compares rips against previous rips and confirms an accurate rip. It also has a neat batch convertor that will save you having to re-rip your other losless files. The add in also helps find the best album art for a particular disc.

Geoff

I'm Stephen.

Im no expert but essentially the Lyngdorfs are PWM amplifiers - a ‘power DAC’ if you will. As i understand it the digital waveform is amplified, with no feedback required, by increasing the power rail voltage. At the final step before the loudspeaker outputs a low pass filter is applied to remove the 384khz carrier.

They have incredible s/n ratios, are reasonably powerful and seem to drive most things (my 2200 replaced a pair of Parasound JC1 monoblocks driving ML Prodigies). Background noise is completely absent, totally, enabling fine detail to come through.

The 2200 replacement, the 3400 I think is purported to be better still but seems to have the same specs albeit with increased input flexibility. Pricy mind at pushing £5k. They are a Swiss Army penknife of amps - my 2200 for example handles digital and analogue inputs (inc Record deck), enables tailorable, active crossover design with a second slave amp, has advanced room correction software. 200w / 8ohms, 375 into 4 ohms. Never felt the need to change it but have just tweaked the rest of the system.

If you are near Glastonbury you would be welcome to have a listen.
    Current kit :
    Music library (FLAC) on IMac or streamed via Qobuz. Fed wirelessly to Raspberry Pi / Allo Digione and into Lyngdorf digital amplification. This handles room correction and drives a pair of Quad 2905 electrostatics.

I'm Geoff.

Quote Originally Posted by Liffy99 View Post
    Im no expert but essentially the Lyngdorfs are PWM amplifiers - a ‘power DAC’ if you will. As i understand it the digital waveform is amplified, with no feedback required, by increasing the power rail voltage. At the final step before the loudspeaker outputs a low pass filter is applied to remove the 384khz carrier.
    That makes sense. Enlarging the described waveform envelope would amplify.

I'm Geoff.

Quote Originally Posted by walpurgis View Post
    That makes sense. Enlarging the described waveform envelope would amplify.
    so too is the Nuforce DDA-120

I'm Colin.

I have been reading up on the pi and not sure if it’s helped as there is so much stuff out there. Anyway keeping it simple to use the pi as a server hooked up to a hard drive do I need to download noobs onto the sd card first. I have followed Volumio instructions but no reading raspberry instructions I think I have missed a step. But now able to connect to router and will have another attempt tonight.
    Any guidance appreciated.

Colin

I'm Abe.

When it comes to digital amps, two things pop up into my mind :

1. Class D amps
    PWM chip-based amplifiers with analog inputs, that still allow us to use them with our own standalone DAcs.
    Examples - Tripath, Hypex, Icepower, Abletec etc

2. Power DAC amps
    Digital only PWM amps, usually with no provision for analog inputs.
    Examples - ST Electronics's chip-based amps, NAD D series, Wadia 151, Nuforce DDA etc
    -abe-

I'm Colin.

just thought I would say. Received Nuforce dda120. Was bought at a knock down price ,new and boxed. With all bits including wireless bluetooth. Its in my system now and its pretty amazing for the price. Not even run in which is supposedly 75 hours and it does sound very good indeed. It cost me less than I have spent on cables in the past. Very impressed.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast