+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Tube vibration damping rings

I'm Gary.

Quote Originally Posted by Bigman80 View Post
    It's only my opinion but when we first put the phonostage together, the cheap Chinese Transformer buzzed like hell. It was so bad I could actually hear it the back ground. We mounted it on a piece of absorbance board and things massively improved. The noise in the background got a lot better. I then put 3 damper rings on each valve and again, everything just sounded a lot cleaner. Resolution improved. I'm not suggesting that in well designed units, they will have the exact same impact but in my DIY phonostage, they certainly have contributed to a very clean and hi resolution sound.
    I think you should follow Firebottle's idea, string the transformer/valve amplifier/pcb to the ceiling

I'm Oliver.

Quote Originally Posted by Stryder5 View Post
    I think you should follow Firebottle's idea, string the transformer/valve amplifier/pcb to the ceiling
    Lmfao 🤣🤣🤣
    Analogue: Technics SP10 MK2 > Phonomac AT-1010 tonearm > Ortofon Kontrapunkt b > Wizard Jfet MC Valve Phonostage (Telefunken Valves)
    Digital: Firebottle modded Xiang Sheng DAC (Telefunken Valve)
    Amplification: Slagle AVC Passive Preamp & Firebottle Monoblocks (Telefunken Valves)
    Cables: Fisual S-Flex Speaker Cable & SPOTFIRE IC Cables Throughout
    Speakers: Pioneer CS-77A

I'm Tony.

I use some Golden Dragon tube dampers on the the two 12AX7s on my amp and also the tubes on my Phono stage.

On the amp they definitely reduce ringing and tighten the bass.

Shame you already bought some Jimbo as I could have dropped some in the post for you to try...
    VPI Scout 1.1, Ortofon Quintet Bronze, Lesbox Tube Phono Stage, Xiang Sheng Dac 01A, Modified Yaqin MC-100B and Reiver Edingdale SR

I'm James.

I bought some tube rings a week ago and popped them on last night. I was not expecting much and as with all things tweakable results can be negligible or positive or negative. I usually rant on how something has made a difference in detail but I thought that in order to give an idea how much of a difference they made I would rank them against other ancillary tweaks I have done in the past so you can see how much of an effect they had. All I would say is they were a positive effect.

So here they come in terms of effectiveness in the weird world of hifi tweaks. I am not including equipment in this list.

Valves
    Isolation gizmos and platforms
    IC Cables
    Valve rings
    Mains cables
    Unswitched silver plated sockets
    Fuses

I'm Brian.

That's quite a substantial upgrade for very little money James . Do you have a link to the ones you bought please .
    Regards
    Brian

Sell your cleverness and buy bewilderment . (Rumi )

Korus Computer Audio music server .
    DAC 3 French DAC
    Amplifier : Rega Brio R
    Speakers : Tannoy 637
    Interconnects : MS Audio / Klotz MC5000 .
    Speaker cables : Chord Epic Twin

I'm James.

Quote Originally Posted by brian2957 View Post
    That's quite a substantial upgrade for very little money James . Do you have a link to the ones you bought please .
    Here you go mate, not cheap but worth it. I am that impressed I am ordering more.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/2-X-DAMPE...-/252090224520

I'm Grant.

the 396a is a mm wider over the ecc83, so are the rings pliant enough to stretch?
    Regards,
    Grant ....

I've said it before and I'll say it again: democracy simply-doesn't-work
    .... ..... ...... ...... ................... ..... ..... ..... ..... .....
    OPPO BDP-103D DARBEE - JBE SERIES 3/M55E/EMOTIVA XPS1 - TWIN PRO MONOBLOCK AMPLIFIERS - XIANG SHENG DAC\PRE\HEADPHONE AMP - TWIN AVANTREE OASIS CLASS 1 BLUETOOTHS - AUDIO TECHNICA ATH-MSR7 & OPPO PM-3 PLANAR HEADPHONES - WIN10 JRIVER24, DEEZER HiFi - SMSL M6 MINIDAC - RPI/AUDIOPHONICS - FULL RANGE TWIN TELEFUNKEN/Q ACOUSTIC BT3/CANTON SUB - P.INSPIRED MAINS REGENERATED.

I'm James.

Quote Originally Posted by struth View Post
    the 396a is a mm wider over the ecc83, so are the rings pliant enough to stretch?
    They pop on perfectly Grant, just like a tight condom

I'm Grant.

Quote Originally Posted by Jimbo View Post
    They pop on perfectly Grant, just like a tight condom
    cheers jim. just checking.
    Regards,
    Grant ....

I've said it before and I'll say it again: democracy simply-doesn't-work
    .... ..... ...... ...... ................... ..... ..... ..... ..... .....
    OPPO BDP-103D DARBEE - JBE SERIES 3/M55E/EMOTIVA XPS1 - TWIN PRO MONOBLOCK AMPLIFIERS - XIANG SHENG DAC\PRE\HEADPHONE AMP - TWIN AVANTREE OASIS CLASS 1 BLUETOOTHS - AUDIO TECHNICA ATH-MSR7 & OPPO PM-3 PLANAR HEADPHONES - WIN10 JRIVER24, DEEZER HiFi - SMSL M6 MINIDAC - RPI/AUDIOPHONICS - FULL RANGE TWIN TELEFUNKEN/Q ACOUSTIC BT3/CANTON SUB - P.INSPIRED MAINS REGENERATED.

I'm Alan.

......depends on how big the willie is that you are waving

Sorry couldn't resist, not that there is any of this on here

+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast