+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast

Thread: Tube vibration damping rings

Bigman80 Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Jimbo View Post
    The effects of the tube rings on the Croft 25R performance were not subtle. I noticed that, with the rings applied: bass was tighter, cleaner, and more dynamic. Transient attacks were more coherent and high frequencies were more crisp and extended, but without a trace of hardness.
    There was also improvement in the reproduction of low-level dynamics and tonality in vocals with a fuller 3D image. Some of the midrange muddiness disappeared and there was general cleaning up of detail and imaging.
    Don't forget Jimbo, some folks will say it's "expectation bias" or "placebo effect" but if it is, that's two of us that are suffering

I'm gone.

Some valves are a lot more microphonic than others, and so would benefit from damping.

Try the finger-ping test! (If you dare. )

montesquieu Guest

When I had a couple of DHT preamps that were quite microphonic I used Herbie's tianium tube dampers, they worked very well in reducing the feedback noise.

When I had an EAR V20 I was recommended to put a couple of little rubber tubes on each on (23 tubes each side) to tighten things up and I think that made a difference.

Never felt the need to use them otherwise. I still have a bunch in the bits box (Herbies are quite expensive by the time you get them over here) I should flog them off at some stage.

I'm James.

Quote Originally Posted by montesquieu View Post
    When I had a couple of DHT preamps that were quite microphonic I used Herbie's tianium tube dampers, they worked very well in reducing the feedback noise.

When I had an EAR V20 I was recommended to put a couple of little rubber tubes on each on (23 tubes each side) to tighten things up and I think that made a difference.

Never felt the need to use them otherwise. I still have a bunch in the bits box (Herbies are quite expensive by the time you get them over here) I should flog them off at some stage.
    The Herbies are well thought of on the other side of the pond. The rubber type tube rings I am using seem to be high quality and I am very happy with the improvements they have made. Microphonic valves can mix in quite a lot of rubbish in a feedback loop and anything to prevent this is surely a good thing unless you like a bit of valve rattle!

I'm James.

Quote Originally Posted by Bigman80 View Post
    Don't forget Jimbo, some folks will say it's "expectation bias" or "placebo effect" but if it is, that's two of us that are suffering

I am quite happy to say if something works or not in my system and I have another pair of ears sitting next to me to confer with. A lot of stuff has either made my system sound worse or simply done nothing (Oak cones for instance). I am a great believer in Isolating components from vibration and have been surprised at the difference applying various methods has done. I have never tried tube vibration damping rings so it was just a punt which happily has worked out for the better.

I must now consider getting those transformers out of my preamp.

Bigman80 Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Jimbo View Post
    I am quite happy to say if something works or not in my system and I have another pair of ears sitting next to me to confer with. A lot of stuff has either made my system sound worse or simply done nothing (Oak cones for instance). I am a great believer in Isolating components from vibration and have been surprised at the difference applying various methods has done. I have never tried tube vibration damping rings so it was just a punt which happily has worked out for the better.

I must now consider getting those transformers out of my preamp.
    Thats absolutely the right next step imho. I will soon be doing that with the phonostage.

I'm Alan.

[QUOTE=JI must now consider getting those transformers out of my preamp.[/QUOTE]

I'm Tony.

Jimbo, I'm with you on this one.

The Golden Dragon Rings made a very noticeable improvement on both my amp and phonostage 12AX7s.

I'd like to try some on my 6NS7s as well but not at full price.

They turn up quite regularly on the bay for half price used.
    VPI Scout 1.1, Hana ML, Vanderveen MC10 SUT, WAD Phono3, Rpi3B+/Digione Signature, Xiang Sheng DAC-01, WAD KiT6550 and Reiver Edingdale SR

I'm James.

Quote Originally Posted by Intenso View Post
    Jimbo, I'm with you on this one.

The Golden Dragon Rings made a very noticeable improvement on both my amp and phonostage 12AX7s.

I'd like to try some on my 6NS7s as well but not at full price.

They turn up quite regularly on the bay for half price used.
    Hi Tony, still enjoying the VPI?

I'm Tony.

Yes, loving it!

Great sound and easy set to use.

I'm probably at the year stage now so need to lube the bearing.

I have no idea how to do it on the VPI so will have to google.

I'm running it with a Quintet Bronze via an AT630 SUT and into a tubed phono. Sound really dynamic and detailed.

Thanks for the headsup on this one!
    VPI Scout 1.1, Hana ML, Vanderveen MC10 SUT, WAD Phono3, Rpi3B+/Digione Signature, Xiang Sheng DAC-01, WAD KiT6550 and Reiver Edingdale SR

+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast