+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: System overhaul...of sorts.

I'm Justin.

Default System overhaul...of sorts.

Hi all.
    I have a system that overall I’m reasonably happy with, apart from the speakers but that’s another issue.

However, I find myself being tempted by the lure of turntables, but it’s that or an upgrade in the cdp department.

So my question for you guys is....Would spending £500 on a turntable beat £500 (plus phono) on a CD player (or transport) in terms of sound quality? Or would it just be a “different” sound experience.

Obviously I will have an audition of any equipment before plunging in, but just wanted to hear out opinions and experiences.

Thanks
    Denon Dcd720ae for silvery discs and a Bluesound Node 2 for tinternet radio and ripped FLAC files both via a NAD D1050
    Creek Destiny 2.....KEF LS50

Electronica to Acoustic, psychedelik.com to Radio Paradise.

I'm Geoff.

Or. You could spend the money on a decent DAC. £500 (or less) should get you something pretty good on the used market.

A cheap CD player into a good DAC sounds far better than a good CD player into a cheap DAC.

Location: Banbury, Oxfordshire/Panteg is where my late father was born

I'm Chris.

I think you could get something very good for £500, the obvious choice would probably be the Rega Planar 3, try and take a listen to one.
    Chris

We've gone on holiday by mistake !

I'm tony.

A cheap lap top with a disk drive and a DAC ( Beresford SEG).

Rip all your CDs lossless-you wont look back.

The PC opens up the world of spotify and digital radio.....all within £500.

I'm Justin.

Quote Originally Posted by walpurgis View Post
    Or. You could spend the money on a decent DAC. £500 (or less) should get you something pretty good on the used market.

A cheap CD player into a good DAC sounds far better than a good CD player into a cheap DAC.
    Hi Geoff. It is something I have contemplated, as I currently run my CDP via optical through the Node2 DAC and its far better than the CDP's DAC.
    thanks
    Denon Dcd720ae for silvery discs and a Bluesound Node 2 for tinternet radio and ripped FLAC files both via a NAD D1050

I'm Justin.

Quote Originally Posted by chris@panteg View Post
    I think you could get something very good for £500, the obvious choice would probably be the Rega Planar 3, try and take a listen to one.
    Hi Chris, that's something I plan/hope to do in next couple of weeks
    thanks

I'm Grant.

If your already into cd in a big way, then moving into vinyl will seriously screw with your mind and finances....

A better player and a dac of good quality and your getting hard to best unless you spend big.
    You could also move into ripping your cds and playing them that way too
    Regards,
    Grant ....

I've said it before and I'll say it again: democracy simply-doesn't-work
    .... ..... ...... ...... ................... ..... ..... ..... ..... .....
    OPPO BDP-103D DARBEE - JBE SERIES 3/B&O SP1/EMOTIVA XPS1/12V BATTERY - TWIN PRO MONOBLOCK AMPLIFIERS - XIANG SHENG DAC\PRE\HEADPHONE AMP\WE TUBED - TWIN AVANTREE OASIS CLASS 1 BLUETOOTHS - AUDIO TECHNICA ATH-MSR7 & OPPO PM-3 PLANAR HEADPHONES - WIN10 JRIVER24, SPOTIFY - SMSL M6 MINIDAC - RPI/AUDIOPHONICS/5V BATTERY - FULL RANGE TWIN TELEFUNKEN/Q ACOUSTIC BT3/CANTON SUB - P.INSPIRED MAINS REGENERATED.

I'm Geoff.

A Rega DAC might give you a shock.

My Monarchy Audio DAC would give you an even bigger surprise, but you won't find one of those .

I'm Geoff.

Were it not for a large vinyl collection, I would not advise anyone to begin an investment in the medium.
    Main system: Sony TTS8000; SME IV; Audio Technica Art1; The Lentek integrated amplifier; SBT; Technics sh-x1000 DAC; Yamaha NS1000M.
    System 2 - SBT; Kinshaw Perception DAC; Denon PMA850 integrated; Kef Reference 103.
    System 3 - Taken over by my son! Chromecast; Beresford Caiman II; Klark Teknik Jade 1 active studio monitors.

I'm Dave.

The last few years, I have sold numerous Rega RP1 and now P1 turntables to newcomers to the black art. Most of these have really got into collecting and playing vinyl and some have upgraded their budget turntable to something more refined. As an example - a customer here this morning collected a Rega RP8 + Exact which he has bought to upgrade on his RP1 bought a couple of years ago. He is very enthusiastic about vinyl replay.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast