+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Ortofon MC10 Super vs which Sure V15?

I'm Steve.

Default Ortofon MC10 Super vs which Sure V15?

It's well documented how the advent of the moving coil cartridge heralded in a new level of detail compared to all but the best MM cartridges. Obviously, I nor anyone else is suggesting that the cheapest of MC units has more detail than the very best of MM ones, but as a generalisation, MCs were, and are more detailed. I never owned a Sure V15, I had an M95, and I upgraded that to an Ortofon MC10 Super. I felt that the difference was like light and day in favour of the latter. Just lately I've been wondering how it would compare with a V15. Now, there are many versions of the V15 as we all know. I would expect the MC10 Super to be better than the first iterations of the V15. I'm talking 'detail', not any other sonic or physical characteristics that could be considered. Similarly, I'm assuming perfect arm/system matching for both. In your opinion, from which iteration of the V15 forwards would offer more detail than the MC10 Super? No spanners in the works, straightforward answers please, I'm not an audiophile, much more experienced than that! cheers.

I'm openingabottleofwine.

Not sure if my experiences will be of interest to you, but I have followed the Shure line before switching my attention to Ortofon cartridges.

When I started I used a Shure M55E, then briefly an M75ED before using a V15 II (improved), and then finally a V15 III. However during my stint with the V15 II (imp), I started to look at other designs: Decca, ADC and Ortofon (the SL15E), and that started me on my Ortofon journey, and abandoned my allegiance with Shure V15s.

After the SL15E, I bought the successor the SL15E II, and then an MC20. I wasn't really happy with the MC20, finding it a bit too bland for my tastes, though part of the problem might have lain with the Ortofon MCA76 head amp. So, I sold the MC20 and later bought an Ortofon MC25FL and an SPU.

But to answer you question, I can tell you that I have heard a Shure V15 V, and it is to my ears a considerable improvement over the V15 III. So if you can find one, have a listen to a Shure V15 V fitted with the HE stylus.

Or, if you still want to keep to Ortofon moving coils, have a listen to an MC25FL.

Hope this is of some help.
    Barry
    Barry

I'm Steve.

It certainly does help Barry. Many thanks for your input.

I'm Mike.

Quote Originally Posted by Barry View Post
    Not sure if my experiences will be of interest to you, but I have followed the Shure line before switching my attention to Ortofon cartridges.

When I started I used a Shure M55E, then briefly an M75ED before using a V15 II (improved), and then finally a V15 III. However during my stint with the V15 II (imp), I started to look at other designs: Decca,

Or, if you still want to keep to Ortofon moving coils, have a listen to an MC25FL.

Barry
    You have just itemised my cart. history; well, the early part of it, Barry ! M55E, M75E, V15 (all in the sixties) then Decca. I then went off track with quadraphonics and an Onlife m/coil. The Ortofon m/c cart's I've had (2 of them) were never satisfactory, but I heartily agree on the MC25; my friend had one and still has fond memories of it.

+ Reply to Thread