+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Replacing iTunes with Jriver for Windows

I'm fabulous.

Default Replacing iTunes with Jriver for Windows

I finally have to make a big decision... to stop using iTunes as my music library manager! I started years ago using iTunes and ripping my music into Apple-Lossless files onto an external drive which has now been replaced with a 3TB NAS box.

iTunes has been getting slower & slower as I've exceeded 5,000 albums and today I have noticed that for some reason it has been duplicating tracks for some albums - eating up disk space and causing problems with my preferred method of reproduction... a RPI running moOde 4.1

I have installed Jriver and it seems very complicated with tons of features. It does way more than I need, I don't want video or anything like that but I can't see how I can turn those unwanted features off like I can in iTunes. I am also trying to understand how the library management works... if I rip a new CD using dbPoweramp to my laptop when I come to add it to the library it just adds links to the files on the laptop, whereas I want it to copy the files to my NAS box as well!

Question to any existing users of Jriver.... Is it worth persevering and paying the £35 for a windows version... are there any quick start guides around as I can't find any from Googling, just adhoc posts in the Jriver knowledge base.

TIA
    Last edited by guyhayton; 13-04-2018 at 07:10.
    lossless > Raspberry PI-3b+ > allo Boss > Van Damme Purple interconnect >
    Myryad Z210 CD Player > Chord Chameleon Silver+ interconnect >

into Magnum IA170 amplifier > Van Damme Blue 4mm cable > Mission 752 Freedom Floorstanders
    Headphones: Audio Technica ATH-AD700 Open-back

I'm Grant.

I would rip it with jriver personally. Ive not heard any difference between it, foobar and EAC, rip wise. You can set up JR to rip in any format, and place it anywhere connected to your pc. It can take the library from any place, or multiple places as well.
    as for the other features, just ignore them as I do. you might actually be able to remove them but ive not tried.
    etup does initially seem daunting but it isnt once you get used to the sections etc. Lots of great features in it for the money imo.
    if you get stuck just ask

PS: you can set it to reformat all your music to another format in a bulk job. I recently changed a lot of mine from ape to flac. not the fastest but I did several at a time so not to tie up the pc for too long.
    Regards,
    Grant .... ؠ ......Don't be such a big girl's blouse

I've said it before and I'll say it again: democracy simply-doesn't-work
    .... ..... ...... ...... ................... ..... ..... ..... ..... .....
    FIIO K7 BT, M11 PLUS, BTR7, KA5 - OPPO BDP-103D - PANASONIC UB450 - PANASONIC 4K ULTRA HD TV - PIXEL 6 - AVANTREE LR BLUETOOTH - 2* X600 SOUNDCORE - HEADPHONES INCLUDE, FIIO, NURAPHONES', FOCAL, OPPO, BOSE, CAMBRIDGE, BOWER & WILKINS, DEVIALET, MARSHALL, SONY, MITCHELL & JOHNSTON - 2*ZBOOK'S- MERCURY BD ROM, ROON, QOBUZ, TIDAL, PLEX, CYBERLINK, JRIVER - MULTI HDD'S -

Oh my god! There's nothing wrong with the bidet is there?

“Nothing discloses real character like the use of power. It is easy for the weak to be gentle. Most people can bear adversity. But if you wish to know what a man really is, give him power. This is the supreme test. It is the glory of Lincoln that, having almost absolute power, he never abused it, except on the side of mercy".

“You see these dictators on their pedestals, surrounded by the bayonets of their soldiers and the truncheons of their police ... yet in their hearts there is unspoken fear. They are afraid of words and thoughts: words spoken abroad, thoughts stirring at home -- all the more powerful because forbidden -- terrify them. A little mouse of thought appears in the room, and even the mightiest potentates are thrown into panic.”

"You don't have free will. You have the appearance of free will.”

“There's a war out there, old friend. A world war. And it's not about who's got the most bullets. It's about who controls the information. What we see and hear, how we work, what we think... it's all about the information!”

***SMILE, BE HAPPY***

I'm Gary.

In Jriver settings you can turn on and off elements of the user interface you don't want?
    Lots of users have been asking for an "audio only" version...its there, just switch off what you don't need.

Happy to help out, give me a shout.
    AC POWER
    Hardwired 10kVA balanced mains powering entire system
    AMPS
    Meridian 557 power Amp (Modded) / PS Audio BHK Preamp (Modded)
    SPEAKERS
    Wharfedale Evo 4.4
    DAC
    PS Audio Directstream (Modded)
    TURNTABLE
    Pro-Ject X8 balanced output via XLR / Ortofon Quintet Blue cartridge
    PHONOSTAGE
    Pro-Ject DS3 B balanced Input (TT and Phonostage powered by Pro-Ject Power box RS2 linear psu)
    DIGITAL
    OPPO 203 (Modded: Linear PSU, i2s output to Dac) - Roon Endpoint, HDMI input used for all things Streaming/ PS5 /AppleTV ... also good for movies apparently?
    MUSIC PLAYBACK
    Tweaked AP-Linux based Roon Server into Oppo 203 as Roon endpoint
    Ipad Roon Remote.
    Apple Music/ YouTube via AppleTV, fed to Dac via Oppo HDMI input/i2s output to Dac.
    SPEAKER CABLES
    Biwired: Duelund DCA10GA (Bass) Duelund DCA16GA (mid & treble) Duelund 12DCA used as jumpers (On
    "Blackcat Cable" Chris Sommivigo's advice - yup, even with biwire it sounds better - and it does)
    INTERCONNECTS
    All Balanced: Ghost+ recording studio XLR cables

I'm fabulous.

Thanks... looks like I will make the jump in next couple of days.

Grant - another decision I've got to make is whether I stick with Apple Lossless (ALAC) or move to FLAC for my new CDs, but with the amount of stuff I already have I cannot see myself converting the existing ALAC.

I used to like how I would put a CD into my laptop and iTunes would see it, RIP it and store it on the NAS in the correct folder. I've done a bit more reading up, and see that Jriver has the concept of a media library and the Library (with capital L). The media library in my case will be the NAS box and the Jriver Library is held on my laptop. I've got to see how I can stitch these two together I think, because I want everything all in one place (the NAS box).

Seems a bit scary to commit an unknown app to my whole music collection, so I'll make sure my backups are uptodate first I think.

Thanks again, I think I will be adding more questions to this thread as I start the process
    G

into Magnum IA170 amplifier > Van Damme Blue 4mm cable > Mission 752 Freedom Floorstanders

I'm tony.

I was in the same position as you with i tunes on a PC.

Gary very kindly came over to my place and converted all my files so that it could run on another PC using Foobar-took the computer about 14 hours!!!

This stuff frightens me to death....Im very grateful Gary and others are so willing to help.

I'm Tony.

I migrated all of my iTunes content to JRiver about 18 months ago pretty much as follows:-

• Saved all of my iTunes library to a USB drive (ALAC and MP3)
    • Attached the USB drive to my 2-bay NAS and copied across the iTunes/iTunes Media/Music folder and all it's contents to the new folder /Share/Music on the NAS
    • Configured JRiver to use NAS/Share/Music as it's Library
    • The set defaults for ripping CD's to FLAC format
    • Any new CD's are automatically ripped to FLAC into the NAS/Share/Music folder structure.
    • I then pointed Volumio to the NAS/Share/Music as it's source.... hey presto!

I haven't bothered to clean up the JRiver interface yet, as I only use it for ripping new cd's but it is very versatile and can be made to do anything you want. Like anything, it just requires a little investment of time up front and you'll be good to go.

May be worth considering your backup strategy for your library on the NAS/JRiver though? I was using iTunes Match but have now turned this off as I use RAID 0 (mirroring) on the NAS and also back it up to a separate USB drive regularly.

Tony
    A mainly digital setup with a musical amplifier and endearing 1970's speakers. A CD player that hardly ever gets used and a turntable that is good enough to remind my how enjoyable my old vinyl is. Some cables and things.

I'm fabulous.

Quote Originally Posted by mightymonoped View Post

• Any new CD's are automatically ripped to FLAC into the NAS/Share/Music folder structure.
    This bullet point relates to my current voyage of discovery... when I've tried ripping a CD in Jriver it's gone to my laptop and not actually gone to my NAS/media/Library folder structure. I've found a Jriver KB article about using the Move/Copy options by right clicking on the album; so I need to find the setting within Jriver to configure mine the same as yours Tony.

May be worth considering your backup strategy for your library on the NAS/JRiver though? I was using iTunes Match but have now turned this off as I use RAID 0 (mirroring) on the NAS and also back it up to a separate USB drive regularly.
    Whilst my NAS box isn't internally mirrored, I have two external USB hard drives that I periodically copy my music library onto... the reason I have two is that I keep one at home and one in work. I rotate them as I update, so that if something awful happens at home I at least have 98.9% of my music collection held on an external drive 10miles away in my desk at work!

I could always buy new hifi equipment, but replacing all of my music collection would be impossible.

I'm Grant.

tools/ options/ file location/ audio cd rips
    Regards,

FIIO K7 BT, M11 PLUS, BTR7, KA5 - OPPO BDP-103D - PANASONIC UB450 - PANASONIC 4K ULTRA HD TV - PIXEL 6 - AVANTREE LR BLUETOOTH - 2* X600 SOUNDCORE - HEADPHONES INCLUDE, FIIO, NURAPHONES', FOCAL, OPPO, BOSE, CAMBRIDGE, BOWER & WILKINS, DEVIALET, MARSHALL, SONY, MITCHELL & JOHNSTON - 2*ZBOOK'S- MERCURY BD ROM, ROON, QOBUZ, TIDAL, PLEX, CYBERLINK, JRIVER - MULTI HDD'S -

“Nothing discloses real character like the use of power. It is easy for the weak to be gentle. Most people can bear adversity. But if you wish to know what a man really is, give him power. This is the supreme test. It is the glory of Lincoln that, having almost absolute power, he never abused it, except on the side of mercy".

“You see these dictators on their pedestals, surrounded by the bayonets of their soldiers and the truncheons of their police ... yet in their hearts there is unspoken fear. They are afraid of words and thoughts: words spoken abroad, thoughts stirring at home -- all the more powerful because forbidden -- terrify them. A little mouse of thought appears in the room, and even the mightiest potentates are thrown into panic.”

“There's a war out there, old friend. A world war. And it's not about who's got the most bullets. It's about who controls the information. What we see and hear, how we work, what we think... it's all about the information!”

***SMILE, BE HAPPY***

I'm Tony.

Quote Originally Posted by guyhayton View Post
    This bullet point relates to my current voyage of discovery... when I've tried ripping a CD in Jriver it's gone to my laptop and not actually gone to my NAS/media/Library folder structure. I've found a Jriver KB article about using the Move/Copy options by right clicking on the album; so I need to find the setting within Jriver to configure mine the same as yours Tony.

Whilst my NAS box isn't internally mirrored, I have two external USB hard drives that I periodically copy my music library onto... the reason I have two is that I keep one at home and one in work. I rotate them as I update, so that if something awful happens at home I at least have 98.9% of my music collection held on an external drive 10miles away in my desk at work!

I could always buy new hifi equipment, but replacing all of my music collection would be impossible.
    Always a good move, if it isnt in more than one location, it isnt backed up!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    A mainly digital setup with a musical amplifier and endearing 1970's speakers. A CD player that hardly ever gets used and a turntable that is good enough to remind my how enjoyable my old vinyl is. Some cables and things.

I'm Grant.

Always a good move, if it isnt in more than one location, it isnt backed up!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    ive got six copies of mine... not all bang up to date but close enough... peace of mind as i once had 2 drives go in a week...that was a dodgy week till i got new drives..lol
    Regards,

***SMILE, BE HAPPY***

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast