+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: What makes songs great?

I'm givingyouaprettygoodclue.

I don't like the track but I loved watching this, I find the (de-)construction of music fascinating. I remember having a music teacher at school who could hear a record and then spontaneously knock out the main components for us on piano, explaining what was happening with each, and I was enthralled.

Good thread

Pete

PS - so is all this an art or a science ?

I'm Martin.

Quote Originally Posted by Pigmy Pony View Post
    Hmm you got me there...

And you're right, circular arguments about music are difficult. Can we have an oblong argument instead?

I would argue that CD cases are slightly more oblong than record covers
    It's odd that with all the geometric shapes to choose from arguments always go for circular. If we could just work out why that was we might discover the secret of everything. It's what Stephen Hawking was working on before his death. Probably.
    Current Lash Up:

TEAC VRDS 701T > Sony TAE1000ESD > Krell KSA50S > JM Labs Focal Electra 926.

I'm AMusicFanNotAnAudiophile.

Quote Originally Posted by Pete The Cat View Post
    I don't like the track but I loved watching this, I find the (de-)construction of music fascinating. I remember having a music teacher at school who could hear a record and then spontaneously knock out the main components for us on piano, explaining what was happening with each, and I was enthralled.

Good thread

Pete

PS - so is all this an art or a science ?
    It's a bit of both - there's a load of artistry involved, and there's the maths/music theory side of it all.
    Add in the record production and arrangement talents and it and the lines begin to blur.

Going through the series of videos one thing becomes very apparent - in many cases the artists are really good singers, both individually and in ensemble.
    Everyone in the bands concerned is a killer player, and the foundation of everything is usually what the drummer brings to the party. If yer drummer's ropey then yer band's ropey.

What I hoped to kick off, and seems to have happened, is some folk looking a bit deeper, and appreciating something a bit more than it just being a collection of agreeable noises.
    Chris

Common sense isn't anymore!

I'm Steve.

I heard he was working on triangular wheels for his chair, and the experiment was going nowhere
    I just dropped in, to see what condition my condition was in

T/T: Inspire Monarch, X200 tonearm, Ortofon Quintet Blue. Phono: Project Tube Box CD: Marantz CD6006 (UK Edition); Amp: Musical Fidelity A5 Integrated.
    Speakers: Zu Omen Def, REL T9i subwoofer. Cables: Atlas Equator interconnects, Atlas Hyper 3.0 speaker cables

T'other system:
    Echo Dot, Amptastic Mini One,Arcam A75 integrated, Celestion 5's, BK XLS-200 DF

A/V:
    LG 55" OLED, Panasonic Blu Ray, Sony a/v amp, MA Radius speakers, REL Storm sub

Forget the past, it's gone. And don't worry about the future, it doesn't exist. There is only NOW.

KICKSTARTER: ENABLING SCAMMERS SINCE 2009

I'm Steve.

This is a great series of videos. What they do for me is show just how much talent and passion these guys put into their 'craft' much of which can be lost during replay.

Of course good hifi helps with this!

I do like electronic music and my collection contains quite a lot of it, but nothing moves me more than a musician at the top of his game doing what he loves best.

It would be nice if there was a place on here for such 'discoveries'.

T/T: Inspire Monarch, X200 tonearm, Ortofon Quintet Blue. Phono: Project Tube Box CD: Marantz CD6006 (UK Edition); Amp: Musical Fidelity A5 Integrated.
    Speakers: Zu Omen Def, REL T9i subwoofer. Cables: Atlas Equator interconnects, Atlas Hyper 3.0 speaker cables

T'other system:

A/V:

Forget the past, it's gone. And don't worry about the future, it doesn't exist. There is only NOW.

I'm Martin.

There is the whole thing of 'dissecting the music. And potentially spoiling the emotional flow. Do you really want to see behind the scenes, so next time you listen you are thinking about the recording and missing out on the rest of it?

I mean, if you watch a documentary about the recording of an album (like the 'Classic Albums' TV series) are you never going to listen to that recording in the same way again?
    Current Lash Up:

Being at the top of their game is a bonus, but not an absolute necessity.

A long time back I went to see Peter Green Splinter Group, and there's no way you could say Peter Green was at the top of his game.
    His playing was masterful and considered, but a good way off the level he'd attained prior to his flirtation with recreational pharmaceuticals.
    When he took hold of a note you felt a direct connection to the internal anguish he felt, and the experience was quite something to behold. I was drained at the end of the gig, the Lord knows how he (Peter Green) felt.
    Chris

Quote Originally Posted by Macca View Post
    There is the whole thing of 'dissecting the music. And potentially spoiling the emotional flow. Do you really want to see behind the scenes, so next time you listen you are thinking about the recording and missing out on the rest of it?

I mean, if you watch a documentary about the recording of an album (like the 'Classic Albums' TV series) are you never going to listen to that recording in the same way again?
    It doesn't happen with me.
    I don't get hauled back into the dissection next time I play something.
    The Classic Albums episode when Aja featured was fantastic in the way certain aspects of the recording was brought to light, and it has helped me appreciate the players and what they brought to the table all the more.

Have you picked up the Purdie Shuffle being played on Babylon Sisters, on the Gaucho album?
    Most of the rest of the album featured the human metronome Steve Gadd on drums, but that first one sticks out like a sore thumb because it's Bernard doing his shuffle.
    Chris

I'm Martin.

Quote Originally Posted by Stratmangler View Post
    It doesn't happen with me.
    I don't get hauled back into the dissection next time I play something.
    The Classic Albums episode when Aja featured was fantastic in the way certain aspects of the recording was brought to light, and it has helped me appreciate the players and what they brought to the table all the more.

Have you picked up the Purdie Shuffle being played on Babylon Sisters, on the Gaucho album?
    Most of the rest of the album featured the human metronome Steve Gadd on drums, but that first one sticks out like a sore thumb because it's Bernard doing his shuffle.
    'Aja' is probably the best of those shows even though it's the one where the musicians are not taking it all that seriously.

You're a musician so I know you get the get all the technicalities as a matter of course but I'm not, so I don't.
    Current Lash Up:

I'm Steve.

Quote Originally Posted by Stratmangler View Post
    Being at the top of their game is a bonus, but not an absolute necessity.

A long time back I went to see Peter Green Splinter Group, and there's no way you could say Peter Green was at the top of his game.
    His playing was masterful and considered, but a good way off the level he'd attained prior to his flirtation with recreational pharmaceuticals.
    When he took hold of a note you felt a direct connection to the internal anguish he felt, and the experience was quite something to behold. I was drained at the end of the gig, the Lord knows how he (Peter Green) felt.
    Of course you're right, not an absolute necessity.

My musical peak happened when I had the job of banging two sticks together in our school's production of 'The Turtle Drum'. The extra hit I added to the end of one of the songs, the headmaster deemed worthy of mention next day.

I would say the audience was moved by the performance - there were certainly less people at the end than at the beginning.

T'other system:

A/V:

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast