+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Multi Channel Power Amps

I'm Alex.

Default Multi Channel Power Amps

Any reason why a multi channel (5/7 etc) power amp, normally used for home cinema, can't work well as a stereo power amp?

I'm Mick.

If its a decent power amp there wont be an issue.
    I was using a Bryston 9b st. 5 channel which sounds awesome both for stereo and for multi channel sound.
    But have recently switched to a ARC D-115 valve amp which sounds even better.
    An Amp is an amp, why the question?

Mick

I'm Alex.

Because I’m in the process of building a surround sound system and I have too many boxes! I love my current power amp and am wondering what multi channel amplifier if any, I could get which will be able to take its place.

I'm Martin.

What are you using now?
    Current Lash Up:

TEAC VRDS 701T > Sony TAE1000ESD > Krell KSA50S > JM Labs Focal Electra 926.

I'm Alex.

Avondale ZAP250

I'm Martin.

That's a tough call then. I think you'll struggle as Avondale amps are very good. I'd live with lots of boxes instead. I mean what does it really matter how many boxes there are?

Or see if Les will knock you up a 5 channel ZAP250
    Current Lash Up:

I'm Alex.

Because I’m running out of places to put them!!!

I'm Martin.

Get more shelves or racks. Or rack with more shelves. I've got a five and a three shelf, the 5 has all the av gubbins on it, the 3 has the hifi. Together they don't take up any more space than an armchair. Total number of boxes = 9 (if you count a turntable as a box).

If it is WAF situation, different matter. I'd advise upgrading in that area instead if that is the case.
    Current Lash Up:

I'm Alex.

It’s not a WAF situation, it’s my house and I’m reasonably single.

I guess I will have to consider your proposal and look into additional racking!

I'm Martin.

I've always thought that lots of electronic equipment on display is a good look. When I was at college you'd go round to the postgrads' rooms and they had racks of equipment up all the walls to the ceiling, and massive home-built speakers. That was what 'taking it seriously' was all about for me.

I suppose I should have matured a bit in the last 30 years but thankfully it has not happened so far. Had girlfriends that have raised an eyebrow on occasion but never any that complained. I like it so it stays.
    Current Lash Up:

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast