Usually a daily visitor and contributor here, I haven't been on for weeks, and worse, I haven't been interested in music or my system. Why? Frustration and depresión.

A while ago I foolishly took the plunge and invested in a CDP (subject of another earlier thread), which after much stress, confusion and doubt was returned and refunded because of a fault on the left channel. I thought that was the end of it - but no.

After having connected it direct (using CDP built in volume) into my lovely ARC 75 amplifier it was obvious there was a problem with the left channel, and in fact with all sources I tried afterwards.

So off it went for a service, the first week of February. It's now the second week of April and I still don't have it back (waiting for two lots of parts from the USA).

The estimate for the service? €700 + VAT + shipping.

The cause of the fault? Something connected to the left channel input wreaked havoc is their explanation.

This has left a very bitter taste in my mouth - and shaken my confidence in buying/connecting anything to the amp - when I finally get it back. I'm angry at my own inability to truly understand what has happened and how to avoid a repeat.

At the moment I'm using the Hiraga class A i got from Jake which was never used with the CDP and all is well - apart from the obvious drop in sound quality compared to the ARC.

I guess we have to be careful when hooking up our precious kit - but how do we know? Paranoia has, I'm afraid, set in.