+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Hifi Paranoia

I'm Adrian.

Default Hifi Paranoia

Usually a daily visitor and contributor here, I haven't been on for weeks, and worse, I haven't been interested in music or my system. Why? Frustration and depresión.

A while ago I foolishly took the plunge and invested in a CDP (subject of another earlier thread), which after much stress, confusion and doubt was returned and refunded because of a fault on the left channel. I thought that was the end of it - but no.

After having connected it direct (using CDP built in volume) into my lovely ARC 75 amplifier it was obvious there was a problem with the left channel, and in fact with all sources I tried afterwards.

So off it went for a service, the first week of February. It's now the second week of April and I still don't have it back (waiting for two lots of parts from the USA).

The estimate for the service? €700 + VAT + shipping.

The cause of the fault? Something connected to the left channel input wreaked havoc is their explanation.

This has left a very bitter taste in my mouth - and shaken my confidence in buying/connecting anything to the amp - when I finally get it back. I'm angry at my own inability to truly understand what has happened and how to avoid a repeat.

At the moment I'm using the Hiraga class A i got from Jake which was never used with the CDP and all is well - apart from the obvious drop in sound quality compared to the ARC.

I guess we have to be careful when hooking up our precious kit - but how do we know? Paranoia has, I'm afraid, set in.
    Technics SP10 mk2
    Jan Allaerts MC 1 Boron mk1 cart
    Miyajima Shilabe cart
    Hashimoto HM-X SUT
    Siggwan (gimballed not unipivot) Cocobola 12"
    Aurorasound Vida LCR Phonostage
    The Truth linestage
    Dave Slagle Autoformer Volume Controller
    Cary 805c SET amps
    Audio Note ANe-SPX speakers
    Townshend Isolda speaker cables
    Cardas Golden Presence interconnects

I'm Phil.

so sorry to hear that , one reason i chose modwright over arc is there is a brilliant uk agent to fix them . while i was there i saw a very complex arc pre amp that took many weeks to fix . my own arc ref 5 pre amp spent 2 months at absolute sounds being repaired . it is deeply upsetting when it happens .

in fact there is a beautiful arc 75 se for sale in uk in mint condition but i stick with my ss power amp as i tend to think they are more reliable but hope you get it back soon
    ou might slip, you might slide, you might
    Stumble and fall by the road side
    But don't you ever let nobody drag your spirit down
    Remember you're walking up to heaven

Don't let nobody turn you around
    … Walk with the rich, walk with the poor
    Learn from everyone, that's what life is for
    And don't you let nobody drag your spirit down

Eric Bibb

I'm Mike.

Guess I've always had a bit of hifi paranoia. At one time this was manifest by psyching myself up for a bloody good session only to feel deflated when my hifi didn't deliver !. Admittedly that was in the eighties after I got an LP12 !!!!!! Hasn't happened for decades, though.

I'd call it caution, but regardless of how many times I've been tempted by foreign, but especially American high end stuff, I've bitten my tongue as I know that importers in the chain, currency fluctuations and convenience etc. would be way out of line with home-grown stuff for maintenance and repair. I can drive my amplification to the manufacturer and drive back same day. Even with Naim (who not only make it very difficult to return goods but charge very high rates), at least it was within these shores.

Okay if you live in Britain, of course, but I don't think Spain competes in hifi terms, although I s'pose France and Germany are more oases of reproduced sound. I guess we'll never know what transpired to damage your ARC in that way.

I'm Adrian.

Quote Originally Posted by RothwellAudio View Post
    If you can tell me exactly what model the amplifier is (even supply a circuit diagram if possible) it might be possible to take an educated guess as to how the CD player fried the amp. That might reduce the paranoia a bit for future use.
    It's the Ref 75 (non se) i Will have a look online for a schematic...
    Technics SP10 mk2
    Miyajima Shilabe cart
    Hashimoto HM-X SUT
    The Truth linestage
    Cary 805c SET amps

I'm George.

Quote Originally Posted by RothwellAudio View Post
    If you can tell me exactly what model the amplifier is (even supply a circuit diagram if possible) it might be possible to take an educated guess as to how the CD player fried the amp. That might reduce the paranoia a bit for future use.
    I'd be interested in your answer as it is a bit of a puzzle.

I'm Adrian.

I'll spend some time looking for the schematic tonight. Here's the bill... The parts might give a clue...
    Technics SP10 mk2
    Miyajima Shilabe cart
    Hashimoto HM-X SUT
    The Truth linestage
    Cary 805c SET amps

I'm Steve.

You have my sympathies Adrian, I hope it's resolved for you soon.

Sound quality seems to be the absolute bottom line for audio enthusiasts, with good reason. But I think other factors such as reliability, availability and cost of parts, and serviceability should perhaps be given more attention.

Wouldn't it be great if there was some kind of directory of products which could provide this information? At least something that would name and shame the high-cost horror stories. As long as the contributions came from users, and the facts backed by documented evidence, would there be a problem legally?

And in the interest of balance, the 'good guys' could be named too...
    I just dropped in, to see what condition my condition was in

T/T: Inspire Monarch, X200 tonearm, Ortofon Quintet Blue. Phono: Project Tube Box CD: Marantz CD6006 (UK Edition); Amp: Musical Fidelity A5 Integrated.
    Speakers: Zu Omen Def, REL T9i subwoofer. Cables: Atlas Equator interconnects, Atlas Hyper 3.0 speaker cables

T'other system:
    Echo Dot, Amptastic Mini One,Arcam A75 integrated, Celestion 5's, BK XLS-200 DF

A/V:
    LG 55" OLED, Panasonic Blu Ray, Sony a/v amp, MA Radius speakers, REL Storm sub

Forget the past, it's gone. And don't worry about the future, it doesn't exist. There is only NOW.

KICKSTARTER: ENABLING SCAMMERS SINCE 2009

+ Reply to Thread