+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Grille re-covering tips please :)

I'm inactive.

Thanks for the further tips gents .. and the link

Shame the US guy uses a proprietary glue that costs an arm and a leg on eBay ...
    On reflection I think I'll stick to double-sided tape, less mess than contact glues, cheaper and pretty well guaranteed to work (used it a lot for other jobs involving synthetics).

The actual stretching isn't a problem, done it loads before

I'm Geoff.

Double sided tape will end up an unsatisfactory option, it will pull, slacken and may even stick to what's behind the grille. I've built over fifty pairs of speakers and made grilles for them. I use the same grille cloth fixing methods most manufacturers do for good reason, they work! And that's usually contact adhesive. Or staples, which obviously can't successfully be used on plastic frames.

I'm inactive.

Quote Originally Posted by walpurgis View Post
    And that's usually contact adhesive. Or staples, which obviously can't successfully be used on plastic frames.
    Ok - so which contact adhesive would you recommend for plastic frames and synthetic material?

I'm Ken.

Unless someone has used the exact contact adhesive on your actual frames it is guess work.

ABS or Styrene will almost certainly melt with solvent based contact glues like Evo Stick and Thixofix so try it on a small spot first. If the frames are Poly Prop NOTHING sticks to it with any great strength, you can "Flame" the surface to Oxidize it, which helps but not a lot. Thixofix is far easier to apply then Evo Stick as it doesn't go stringy or ball up as you apply it. Thixotropic means as you work it, the Gell becomes more liquid and spreads easy.

It will be tricky applying it to the cloth edges, maybe stretch it out on a board and use masking tape to allow an accurate narrow strip of glue to be applied. I'm just guessing how you might tackle it, as I've never used this method either.

I'm Geoff.

This job is really not a big deal.

If you want a tube of contact adhesive that will do the job Mike, just PM me your mailing details and I'll send you one. I have loads!

I'm inactive.

Thanks for that Ken, I had noted EvoStick and Thixofix from your last post and will bear them in mind. I used to work with thixotropic paint back in the 60s - vile stuff, so I would hope the glue is more amenable.

Whatever substances I opt for I will be doing tests before committing (as I mentioned earlier) but for the moment I'm just waiting for a response from Walpurgis re. what adhesives he prefers.

I'm Dennis.

IMO Evo stick Time Bond is better than Thixofix. Some years ago, for legal reasons Thixofix changed its solvent from toluene to a ketone, and it lost its whetting ability. Time Bond is still good at whetting. (I've just bought some for gluing EPDM rubber onto speaker cabinets.)

I'm inactive.

Quote Originally Posted by walpurgis View Post
    This job is really not a big deal.

If you want a tube of contact adhesive that will do the job Mike, just PM me your mailing details and I'll send you one. I have loads!
    Thank you for the kind offer Geoff - I will hang on until I've nailed down a suitable colour. Also checking a local service tomorrow for a quote to have it done (and save the hassle

I'm inactive.

Had a chance to get a better look at the grilles today and what I initially perceived to be black plastic is in fact heavily coated 8mm MDF. Tried a 6mm staple and it went in no bother ... so back on familiar turf and panic over

Thanks to all for the suggestions and offers of glue - very much appreciated

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12