+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Daisy chaining extension blocks

I'm Stephen.

Default Daisy chaining extension blocks

can I ?

i’m out of sockets. I currently use 12 bits of kit needing mains power but only have a triple wall socket.
    up until now i have used a home made 10 socket extension plugged into one of the triple sockets.
    All the gear together would use well below the load rating of the mains (e.g. 3kw or so).

i had the idea of connecting three 6 socket extension blocks in series ( to create an 18 socket block in effect).
    is this safe ? Do i just continue each cable (earth, live an neutral) along alyl of the sockets ?

what else can i do ?

thanks
    Current kit :
    Music library (FLAC) on IMac or streamed via Qobuz. Fed wirelessly to Raspberry Pi / Allo Digione and into Lyngdorf digital amplification. This handles room correction and drives a pair of Quad 2905 electrostatics.

I'm Geoff.

Although some suggest 'daisy chaining' is bad practice, I've yet to see evidence for it, although it's not something I'm keen to do if avoidable.

I have three six socket extensions in parallel for the Hi-Fi and two in series for the separate PC associated gubbins. Never experienced any problems and that set-up has been in place for donkeys years.

I'm openingabottleofwine.

Quote Originally Posted by Liffy99 View Post
    can I ?

i’m out of sockets. I currently use 12 bits of kit needing mains power but only have a triple wall socket.
    up until now i have used a home made 10 socket extension plugged into one of the triple sockets.
    All the gear together would use well below the load rating of the mains (e.g. 3kw or so).

i had the idea of connecting three 6 socket extension blocks in series ( to create an 18 socket block in effect).
    is this safe ? Do i just continue each cable (earth, live an neutral) along all of the sockets ?

what else can i do ?

thanks
    In principle yes, provided the cable to the plug is of 15A rating and the fuse in the plug top is rated at 13A. Are the 6-socket extension blocks commercial designs - can they be connected in series?

Some would say it is better to 'star-connect' the sockets together, rather than 'daisy chain' them. IMO it doesn't make a blind bit of difference.
    Barry

I'm Geoff.

You have much the same view as mine Barry. I think overall amperage draw is the only limiting factor. You wouldn't want to run banks of 3kW electric fires on daisy chained extensions.

I was once given a Leak Stereo 20 that some genius had run an electric fire from the mains out socket, which was nicely fried.

I'm Mike.

Wink

Complete house re-wire and dedicated 20 radial circuit installation needed here; piggy-backing extension sockets for hifi? God forbid !

I'm Alan.

I had 5 extension blocks plugged into a 6 way professional block in my 'shack' in France when i used to have all my radio and amateur TV gear.
    Sacre bleu I had a lot of gear, never had any problems.

I'm Stephen.

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Reed View Post
    Complete house re-wire and dedicated 20 radial circuit installation needed here; piggy-backing extension sockets for hifi? God forbid !
    Very kind of you Mike - when are you coming round 😎
    Current kit :
    Music library (FLAC) on IMac or streamed via Qobuz. Fed wirelessly to Raspberry Pi / Allo Digione and into Lyngdorf digital amplification. This handles room correction and drives a pair of Quad 2905 electrostatics.

I'm Stephen.

OK, getting there I hope . . . .

I think settling for two 7 or 8 way blocks is the easiest / best way forward.
    Trouble is the standard 19" rack mount modules are 1cm too short (so close !).
    Those that I have seen seem to have end brackets about 25mm wide at each end (giving a total module width of about 485mm - I need 495mm).
    So can I find brackets that are at least 30mm wide for each end ?
    Anyone know of a source or have the exact measurements (inc hole spacings) for the standard brackets ?
    Thanks
    Current kit :

I'm Grant.

just checked hifi wall, and ive got 8 daisy chained wasnt expecting so many.... think there are 21 things plugged in...
    Regards,
    Grant .... ؠ ......Don't be such a big girl's blouse

I've said it before and I'll say it again: democracy simply-doesn't-work
    .... ..... ...... ...... ................... ..... ..... ..... ..... .....
    FIIO K7 BT, M11 PLUS, BTR7, KA5 - OPPO BDP-103D - PANASONIC UB450 - PANASONIC 4K ULTRA HD TV - PIXEL 6 - AVANTREE LR BLUETOOTH - 2* X600 SOUNDCORE - HEADPHONES INCLUDE, FIIO, NURAPHONES', FOCAL, OPPO, BOSE, CAMBRIDGE, BOWER & WILKINS, DEVIALET, MARSHALL, SONY, MITCHELL & JOHNSTON - 2*ZBOOK'S- MERCURY BD ROM, ROON, QOBUZ, TIDAL, PLEX, CYBERLINK, JRIVER - MULTI HDD'S -

Oh my god! There's nothing wrong with the bidet is there?

“Nothing discloses real character like the use of power. It is easy for the weak to be gentle. Most people can bear adversity. But if you wish to know what a man really is, give him power. This is the supreme test. It is the glory of Lincoln that, having almost absolute power, he never abused it, except on the side of mercy".

“You see these dictators on their pedestals, surrounded by the bayonets of their soldiers and the truncheons of their police ... yet in their hearts there is unspoken fear. They are afraid of words and thoughts: words spoken abroad, thoughts stirring at home -- all the more powerful because forbidden -- terrify them. A little mouse of thought appears in the room, and even the mightiest potentates are thrown into panic.”

"You don't have free will. You have the appearance of free will.”

“There's a war out there, old friend. A world war. And it's not about who's got the most bullets. It's about who controls the information. What we see and hear, how we work, what we think... it's all about the information!”

***SMILE, BE HAPPY***

I'm Stephen.

Does that include the hair straighteners 😈

You must hold the record - I can feel a poll coming on
    Current kit :

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast