+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: HD 4K and soon 8K some home truths

I'm Gary.

Quite easy to see the 4K improvement on a 65” over 1080p from 8 feet away IMHO.
    Theres a chart (somewhere) online showing screensize vs distance vs resolution.

Take with a pinch of salt though as always and try for yourself as usual.
    AC POWER
    Hardwired 10kVA balanced mains powering entire system
    AMPS
    Meridian 557 power Amp (Modded) / PS Audio BHK Preamp (Modded)
    SPEAKERS
    Wharfedale Evo 4.4
    DAC
    PS Audio Directstream (Modded)
    TURNTABLE
    Pro-Ject X8 balanced output via XLR / Ortofon Quintet Blue cartridge
    PHONOSTAGE
    Pro-Ject DS3 B balanced Input (TT and Phonostage powered by Pro-Ject Power box RS2 linear psu)
    DIGITAL
    OPPO 203 (Modded: Linear PSU, i2s output to Dac) - Roon Endpoint, HDMI input used for all things Streaming/ PS5 /AppleTV ... also good for movies apparently?
    MUSIC PLAYBACK
    Tweaked AP-Linux based Roon Server into Oppo 203 as Roon endpoint
    Ipad Roon Remote.
    Apple Music/ YouTube via AppleTV, fed to Dac via Oppo HDMI input/i2s output to Dac.
    SPEAKER CABLES
    Biwired: Duelund DCA10GA (Bass) Duelund DCA16GA (mid & treble) Duelund 12DCA used as jumpers (On
    "Blackcat Cable" Chris Sommivigo's advice - yup, even with biwire it sounds better - and it does)
    INTERCONNECTS
    All Balanced: Ghost+ recording studio XLR cables

I'm Martin.

Quote Originally Posted by Sherwood View Post
    I was going to get a 65 inch but chickened out at the last minute (plus it was quite a bit more money) and got a 55''. Turns out that according to the link I should have been looking at 90 inches. That would just be a wall of television! Which is tempting, I'll admit.
    Current Lash Up:

TEAC VRDS 701T > Sony TAE1000ESD > Krell KSA50S > JM Labs Focal Electra 926.

I'm Gary.

Quote Originally Posted by Macca View Post
    I was going to get a 65 inch but chickened out at the last minute (plus it was quite a bit more money) and got a 55''. Turns out that according to the link I should have been looking at 90 inches. That would just be a wall of television! Which is tempting, I'll admit.
    Phoar!
    AC POWER
    Hardwired 10kVA balanced mains powering entire system
    AMPS
    Meridian 557 power Amp (Modded) / PS Audio BHK Preamp (Modded)
    SPEAKERS
    Wharfedale Evo 4.4
    DAC
    PS Audio Directstream (Modded)
    TURNTABLE
    Pro-Ject X8 balanced output via XLR / Ortofon Quintet Blue cartridge
    PHONOSTAGE
    Pro-Ject DS3 B balanced Input (TT and Phonostage powered by Pro-Ject Power box RS2 linear psu)
    DIGITAL
    OPPO 203 (Modded: Linear PSU, i2s output to Dac) - Roon Endpoint, HDMI input used for all things Streaming/ PS5 /AppleTV ... also good for movies apparently?
    MUSIC PLAYBACK
    Tweaked AP-Linux based Roon Server into Oppo 203 as Roon endpoint
    Ipad Roon Remote.
    Apple Music/ YouTube via AppleTV, fed to Dac via Oppo HDMI input/i2s output to Dac.
    SPEAKER CABLES
    Biwired: Duelund DCA10GA (Bass) Duelund DCA16GA (mid & treble) Duelund 12DCA used as jumpers (On
    "Blackcat Cable" Chris Sommivigo's advice - yup, even with biwire it sounds better - and it does)
    INTERCONNECTS
    All Balanced: Ghost+ recording studio XLR cables

I'm Martin.

Quote Originally Posted by Gazjam View Post
    Phoar!
    Indeed!
    Current Lash Up:

TEAC VRDS 701T > Sony TAE1000ESD > Krell KSA50S > JM Labs Focal Electra 926.

I'm Craig.

I must admit to being a bit disappointed when I bought my smaller 43” 4K LG , having left my 46” HD Samsung back in the house as an incentive to the buyer of my property.

One thing I have just discovered though, like a lot of people my TV was mounted above my fireplace, which is quite tall, I thought that the quality was not as good as the Sammy, but having had a lot of building work done, i repositioned the set, at a much lower height, so instead of looking up at it, I now more or less look at it straight on, and you know what?
    The apparent definition is way superior.

Worth considering doing what I did if you questioned the quality of your screen.
    Bluesound Node 2i
    Audio Analogue Pucinni SE
    B&W DM607 s2
    Chord Shawline X speaker cable
    Klotz ic’s

I'm Mike.

I think i've mentioned it in other posts but there are only 3 or 4 panel manufacturers, the Chinese company that owns Philips, the company that owns Sharp, LG and a Turkish company, Sony, Pana etc. don't actually make any screens just put their own chipsets and colour algorithms in and whack em together, makes me laugh

As the late Colonel Sanders once said
    "I'm too drunk to taste this chicken!!"

I'm barry.

Quote Originally Posted by Jac Hawk View Post
    As some of you know i work for a professional AV integrator, recently at an event one of our hardware suppliers was giving a workshop on HD 4K transmission and the short comings of higher resolutions.

The workshop itself was long winded and droned on a bit, however one thing that was interesting was the difference between HD and 4K, they had set up 2 i 55" Samsung screens, the same models just on the older HD and the other the 4K, both fed identical content just one in HD and the other 4K, the question they put to us was which was which, i was sat about 3 meters away and couldn't really tell the difference and the room of about 20 people was split almost 50 / 50 as to which was which, it was when you got much closer around a meter away that you could tell.

What was being demonstrated was screen size / resolution and viewing distance ratios, simply put the smaller the screen the closer you need to be to be able to see the difference between HD and 4K and in most homes unless you have a very big screen 75" or larger or you sit 2m or less away from your tv, you're hard pressed to tell the difference.

So why bother with 4K or 8K when it's released, well the picture quality is better, but as i've said you're only going to see that on a very large screen or if you sit incredibly close, the sort of people this actually benefits are draughtsmen using CAD and people that need to take accurate sizes from a image on a display, or when you need to display a very large image 75" or larger and the viewer is relatively close to the screen.

At the end of the day our tv's are getting larger, i'm actually considering buying a 84" screen myself (the kids think i'm mad) so i will see the benefit of 4K, but for most folks a 55" screen is more than big enough, to these people i would say unless you're in the market for a new tv, stick with what you've got, as i've said 4K and 8K when it's available do give a more detailed image but from normal viewing distances not as obvious as you might think. In reality moving up to 4K or higher helps manufacturers sell tv's, there's always someone that has to have the latest tech, but for the rest of us my advice for what it's worth is get 4K when you need a new tv not because you think you need 4K.
    It also depends on how the TV's were set up, were you viewing HDR content, were the TV's calibrated etc also the make of TV and tech being used LCD or OLED. I can see a prononnced difference at any size over 50".

I'm Mike.

Quote Originally Posted by Dr Winston O Boogie View Post
    It also depends on how the TV's were set up, were you viewing HDR content, were the TV's calibrated etc also the make of TV and tech being used LCD or OLED. I can see a prononnced difference at any size over 50".
    The TV's were identical Professional screens used for digital signage both set up the same, by the way ALL TV's are LCD, LED and OLED is the light source that shines through the LCD display to give you the brightness, LED (light emitting diode) OLED (organic light emitting diode) OLED offers a cooler running more efficient light source than traditional LED. LED screens do exist basically each pixel is a single LED light source and are the screens you see next to the motorway or in a football arena.

I'm barry.

Quote Originally Posted by Jac Hawk View Post
    The TV's were identical Professional screens used for digital signage both set up the same, by the way ALL TV's are LCD, LED and OLED is the light source that shines through the LCD display to give you the brightness, LED (light emitting diode) OLED (organic light emitting diode) OLED offers a cooler running more efficient light source than traditional LED. LED screens do exist basically each pixel is a single LED light source and are the screens you see next to the motorway or in a football arena.
    Sorry OLED and LCD are a different tech. Were the TV's using the same settings and calibrated and what make. Also you say used for Digital Signage what exactly do you mean?

https://www.lg.com/uk/lgoled/technology.jsp#technology

I'm Mike.

Quote Originally Posted by Dr Winston O Boogie View Post
    Sorry OLED and LCD are a different tech. Were the TV's using the same settings and calibrated.
    Yes both identical, and please explain the difference between OLED and LCD

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast