+ Reply to Thread
Page 18 of 23 FirstFirst ... 81617181920 ... LastLast

Thread: 10 audiophile myths busted

I'm AudioAl'sArbiterForPISHANTO.

Quote Originally Posted by magiccarpetride View Post
    All good points, Marco, and, on a somewhat unrelated note, you made me a bit worried now -- I've been on this forum for quite some time already, and still haven't been banned. Hmm, I'm getting old, losing my edge...
    No chance, we lurves ya, Alex!

Marco [a big fan of your 'thought provoking, slightly controversial epistles'].
    Main System

Turntable: Heavily-modified Technics SL-1210MK5G [Mike New bearing/ETP platter/Paul Hynes SR7 PSU & reg mods]. Funk Firm APM Achromat/Nagaoka GL-601 Crystal Record Weight/Isonoe feet & boots/Ortofon RS-212D/Denon DL-103GL in Denon PCL-300 headshell with Funk Firm Houdini/Kondo SL-115 pure-silver cartridge leads.

Paul Hynes MC head amp/SR5 PSU. Also modded Lentek head amp/Denon AU-310 SUT.

Other Cartridges: Nippon Columbia (NOS 1987) Denon DL-103. USA-made Shure SC35C with NOS stylus. Goldring G820 with NOS stylus. Shure M55E with NOS stylus.

CD Player: Audiocom-modified Sony X-777ES/DAS-R1 DAC.

Tape Deck: Tandberg TCD 310, fully restored and recalibrated as new, by RDE, plus upgraded with heads from the TCD-420a. Also with matching TM4 Norway microphones.

Preamps: Heavily-modified Croft Charisma-X. LDR Stereo Coffee. Power Amps: Tube Distinctions Copper Amp fitted with Tungsol KT-150s. Quad 306.

Cables & Sundries: Mark Grant HDX1 interconnects and digital coaxial cable, plus Mark Grant 6mm UP-LCOFC Van Damme speaker cable. MCRU 'Ultimate' mains leads. Lehmann clone headphone amp with vintage Koss PRO-4AAA headphones.

Tube Distinctions digital noise filter. VPI HW16.5 record cleaning machine.

Speakers: Tannoy 15MGs in Lockwood cabinets with modified crossovers. 1967 Celestion Ditton 15.

Protect your HUMAN RIGHTS and REFUSE ANY *MANDATORY* VACCINE FOR COVID-19!

Also **SAY NO** to unjust 'vaccine passports' or certificates, which are totally incompatible with a FREE society!!!

I'm Geoff.

Quote Originally Posted by Macca View Post
    If you like The Smiths or U2* then fair comment, otherwise I agree very rude, how dare they.

*I'm guessing this event pre-dates Diana Krall. Otherwise add her in as well.
    You can add Gary Numan and Queen to that!

(if that doesn't get 'em up in arms nothing will )

I'm Martin.

Quote Originally Posted by walpurgis View Post
    You can add Gary Numan and Queen to that!

(if that doesn't get 'em up in arms nothing will )
    I quite like 'Seven Seas Of Rye'. But I'd cheerfully go back in time and strangle them all as children to prevent 'Bohemian Rhapsody.' Then bet on some sports fixtures and make millions like Biff out of 'Back To The Future - Part 2'. Could go and see Hendrix at the Isle Of Wight too. I'd just have to avoid meeting my future self. And getting caught for the child murders, obviously.
    Current Lash Up:

TEAC VRDS 701T > Sony TAE1000ESD > Krell KSA50S > JM Labs Focal Electra 926.

I'm Alex.

Quote Originally Posted by Marco View Post
    No chance, we lurves ya, Alex!

Marco [a big fan of your 'thought provoking, slightly controversial epistles'].
    Aargh, now you make me feel like I'm some lame ass conformist.

Never a sellout!
    Don't you just hate it when you cannot detect where the post ends and a signature line begins?

Alex.

I'm Alex.

I quite like 'Seven Seas Of Rye'. But I'd cheerfully go back in time and strangle them all as children to prevent 'Bohemian Rhapsody.' Then bet on some sports fixtures and make millions like Biff out of 'Back To The Future - Part 2'. Could go and see Hendrix at the Isle Of Wight too. I'd just have to avoid meeting my future self. And getting caught for the child murders, obviously.
    You made me lose my shit over that. I was trying to read this out loud to my wife, but couldn't. I was repeatedly breaking down trying to pronounce the word 'strangle'. Was always choking on the first syllable ('stra').
    Don't you just hate it when you cannot detect where the post ends and a signature line begins?

Alex.

I'm joe.

If you like The Smiths or U2* then fair comment, otherwise I agree very rude, how dare they.
    Actually it was because I said I couldn't stand the sound of the harpsichord and much preferred to listen to Bach's keyboard music played on the piano.

I'm Martin.

Quote Originally Posted by Joe View Post
    Actually it was because I said I couldn't stand the sound of the harpsichord and much preferred to listen to Bach's keyboard music played on the piano.
    Harpsichord does my head in too. You were right and he's an idiot. Case closed.
    Current Lash Up:

TEAC VRDS 701T > Sony TAE1000ESD > Krell KSA50S > JM Labs Focal Electra 926.

I'm George.

Enough of this gay banter.

Here's my ten Audiophile busted myths, take them or leave them. You'll probably leave them, Bad move but it's a free country (except it isn't):

1) You can overcome plaebco and expectation bias without listening blind . No you can't unless you are Jesus and have powers. (You're not Jesus).

2) High resolution digital is better. No it is just different mastering or if it is the same master and you still think it is better see 1) above.

3) There are things that matter in audio but we can't measure them yet. No, there really are not. There might be things we rarely measure or don't ever measure but there's no mystery science theatre going on.

4) Some equipment is better at conveying the 'emotion' of the musicians better. No it is probably just technically better and/or better engineered. There's no 'emotion' op amp or resistor you can buy. You'd think the Japanese would have invented it by now but they haven't ( see: Ken Ishiwata). And it's mostly in your mind and your mood at the time of listening anyway.

5) Speaker cable and interconnects can make a big difference. No they can't (see myth 1 above). At best they make a tiny difference.

6) All the really good kit is very expensive for good reasons. No it isn't, although I suppose it depends what you mean by expensive. You can't make anything good on the cheap. But a £10K item of kit is at most just 500 quid worth of parts once the maker, distributor, dealer and HMRC (the VAT) have had their cut. That's scary when you think about it. If you are capable of building your own equipment you are laughing. Wish I was.

7) There are a lot of poor recordings. No there are not unless your collection is mostly tapes of your band recorded in the garage on a Sharp ghetto-blaster. If you find any professional recording, from any era, sounding unlistenable, that's a problem with your system. A good system will always convey the intent of a recording even if it is not a Diana Krall album.
    Which neatly brings us to

8) Diana Krall albums are worth listening to
    . No they are not. I don't think an explanation is necessary. If you don't know what I mean then you probably didn't read this far anyway.

9)A good test for a system is a painstakingly superb recording of a woman singing while a bloke hits a block of wood with a stick. No it isn't, that will sound good on an Amstrad. A good test for a system is 'Thin Lizzy: Live And Dangerous' at generous SPL. When you are next at a show and they are playing the woman/block of wood thing, ask them to put on the Lizzy at volume. See how many will. Obviously let the block of wood thing finish first before you ask.

10) You can't knock it until you have tried it, no matter how wacky it is. Oh yes I can. Cable lifters, crystals, those things that look a bit like lecterns that you stick around the room to 'define the listening space', Peter Belt tweaks, colouring your fuses with a marker pen, special bowls you put on the speakers... there's a million more. See busted myth 1 and read a book on human psychology. Or at least skim-read it.
    Hmmmmm......

1) You can minimise these effects by not carrying out ABX tests with 12 sec samples but by listening for much longer time periods and getting the real measure of the item and then trying the other component. Doing blind tests is an awful way to test components and I have not seen any statistically significant data that shows SS amp sound different. But they are.
    3) Yes there is. When Bruno Putzeys developed Class D he heard some observations about SS amps (feedback) and went off and devised his own tests. If he thought it was a placebo then there would be no new test.
    4) True but some equipment can strip music of its micro detail and make it a dissected thing to be admired as opposed to music to be enjoyed.
    6) Depends what you mean by good reasons. There are reasons. How much does your computer cost in components? There is normally a 5:1 ratio between a sales price and component costs for a lot of audio although pretty boxes are expensive. Newer direct sales methods try to remove one of the cost elements, of course you increase the risk of ownership that way. Making it yourself? What an 845 valve amp with 1,200V??
    9) Agreed but as an owner of the 24-bit version of the Thin Lizzy you could end up with a system that has no treble to make that listenable.
    10) Truish. Someone told me Belden mains cables at £40 (decent connectors) was better than most copper mains cables. Ha....it was.

I'm Steve.

So you're the one that didn't get to see Hendrix? I suppose someone had to stay behind and 'man the fort'.

And what's wrong with 'Bohemian Rhapsody'? They had great fun with it on 'Wayne's World', even the lad that was trying not to throw up.
    I just dropped in, to see what condition my condition was in

T/T: Inspire Monarch, X200 tonearm, Ortofon Quintet Blue. Phono: Project Tube Box CD: Marantz CD6006 (UK Edition); Amp: Musical Fidelity A5 Integrated.
    Speakers: Zu Omen Def, REL T9i subwoofer. Cables: Atlas Equator interconnects, Atlas Hyper 3.0 speaker cables

T'other system:
    Echo Dot, Amptastic Mini One,Arcam A75 integrated, Celestion 5's, BK XLS-200 DF

A/V:
    LG 55" OLED, Panasonic Blu Ray, Sony a/v amp, MA Radius speakers, REL Storm sub

Forget the past, it's gone. And don't worry about the future, it doesn't exist. There is only NOW.

KICKSTARTER: ENABLING SCAMMERS SINCE 2009

I'm Steve.

I remember back in the eighties a reviewer called Jimmy Hughes talking about the sonic benefits of putting wooden chopping boards in random places on your listening room floor, and placing feet under three of the four legs of tables and chairs.

It was around this time I moved away from hifi and spent my money on holidays instead.
    I just dropped in, to see what condition my condition was in

T/T: Inspire Monarch, X200 tonearm, Ortofon Quintet Blue. Phono: Project Tube Box CD: Marantz CD6006 (UK Edition); Amp: Musical Fidelity A5 Integrated.
    Speakers: Zu Omen Def, REL T9i subwoofer. Cables: Atlas Equator interconnects, Atlas Hyper 3.0 speaker cables

T'other system:
    Echo Dot, Amptastic Mini One,Arcam A75 integrated, Celestion 5's, BK XLS-200 DF

A/V:
    LG 55" OLED, Panasonic Blu Ray, Sony a/v amp, MA Radius speakers, REL Storm sub

Forget the past, it's gone. And don't worry about the future, it doesn't exist. There is only NOW.

KICKSTARTER: ENABLING SCAMMERS SINCE 2009

+ Reply to Thread
Page 18 of 23 FirstFirst ... 81617181920 ... LastLast