+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 23 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast

Thread: 10 audiophile myths busted

Bigman80 Guest

I realised a while back that whilst everyone has an opinion based on experience, knowledge etc, not everyone shares the same taste. This makes any advice on equipment choices you're given, a 50/50 as to whether it'll work out for you. It's important to find people whose taste is similar to your own. There are folk here whose advice is spot on for me and others who I sometimes wonder what they are actually listening to. Take Quad amps for instance, I hate their sound but they are massively popular and highly rated. I tried a few and none made any impression other than to take it out asap. Doesn't mean they are shat, just that I don't like them. I love Vintage Japanese hifi but theres a crowd who hate it. Align yourself with people who have a similar taste and you'll be fine. Ignore the detractors too.

It's spot on where you wrote about people being on their high horse. Regardless of experience, sometimes what's right for you just doesn't work for someone else.

This is a good forum and it's moderated to keep it that way. Well done all.

Good post OP.

PS, as good as EVH is I'm afraid Jimi Hendrix rules and always will.

I'm Bob.

What the feck has gone wrong with this country, gone to the bleedin dogs it has.

What on earth is wrong with a good cup of strong tea.
    System a mixture of old and new.

Speakers Tannoy Cheviot, Amp Pioneer receiver but looking for something new, Source Xbox One X (For everything) via a Panasonic 65inch 4k HDR TV.

I'm Alex.

Quote Originally Posted by bobvfr View Post
    What the feck has gone wrong with this country, gone to the bleedin dogs it has.

What on earth is wrong with a good cup of strong tea.
    Well, for starters, devious and manipulative tea manufacturers are praying on the weak minded and gullible and selling them some fecking leaves that grow all around us. Pity the gullible idiots who pay for that shite.
    Don't you just hate it when you cannot detect where the post ends and a signature line begins?

Alex.

I'm inactive.

Quote Originally Posted by magiccarpetride View Post
    But was he, out of the goodness of his heart, trying to protect you from the evil and manipulative espresso machine manufacturers? Was he trying to bust all the espresso makers myths?
    You bet he was - and there are plenty of forums out there where you will find coffee zealots galore trying to convert you to their faith and decrying all manner of heinous sins committed against the holy bean by the foul mechanics of shoddy manufacturer' products. If you ain't got a burr grinder, you ain't grinding!! ... and not only that, the burrs MUST be ceramic - none of your cheap cast iron shit!!!

I'm inactive.

Quote Originally Posted by magiccarpetride View Post
    Yes, cars can also be reduced down to laws of physics, yet we all seem fine with someone's choice of their favourite automobile. We're not trying to protect them from manipulative car salesmen. Only in audio do we feel the urge to save some poor souls from the evil manipulative manufacturers.
    Nah - having spent some time in the early days of 't interweb on car forums I can safely assure you that your 'argument' is a bit of a crock.

As with everything - opinions are like arseholes....

I'm Alex.

Quote Originally Posted by mikmas View Post
    You bet he was - and there are plenty of forums out there where you will find coffee zealots galore trying to convert you to their faith and decrying all manner of heinous sins committed against the holy bean by the foul mechanics of shoddy manufacturer' products. If you ain't got a burr grinder, you ain't grinding!! ... and not only that, the burrs MUST be ceramic - none of your cheap cast iron shit!!!
    Any science behind those opinions?
    Don't you just hate it when you cannot detect where the post ends and a signature line begins?

Alex.

I'm Alex.

Quote Originally Posted by mikmas View Post
    Nah - having spent some time in the early days of 't interweb on car forums I can safely assure you that your 'argument' is a bit of a crock.

As with everything - opinions are like arseholes....
    Yes, you have one, but you haven't given us any examples.

Alex.

I'm Steve.

I'm told by someone who ought to know, that in Australia you are a Ford man or a Holden Man.

Not sure if opinions are as polarised in this country, and I don't care-my next motor will probably run off batteries, be driveable on the pavements and have a top speed of 6mph.
    I just dropped in, to see what condition my condition was in

T/T: Inspire Monarch, X200 tonearm, Ortofon Quintet Blue. Phono: Project Tube Box CD: Marantz CD6006 (UK Edition); Amp: Musical Fidelity A5 Integrated.
    Speakers: Zu Omen Def, REL T9i subwoofer. Cables: Atlas Equator interconnects, Atlas Hyper 3.0 speaker cables

T'other system:
    Echo Dot, Amptastic Mini One,Arcam A75 integrated, Celestion 5's, BK XLS-200 DF

A/V:
    LG 55" OLED, Panasonic Blu Ray, Sony a/v amp, MA Radius speakers, REL Storm sub

Forget the past, it's gone. And don't worry about the future, it doesn't exist. There is only NOW.

KICKSTARTER: ENABLING SCAMMERS SINCE 2009

I'm Alex.

Quote Originally Posted by Bigman80 View Post
    I realised a while back that whilst everyone has an opinion based on experience, knowledge etc, not everyone shares the same taste. This makes any advice on equipment choices you're given, a 50/50 as to whether it'll work out for you. It's important to find people whose taste is similar to your own. There are folk here whose advice is spot on for me and others who I sometimes wonder what they are actually listening to. Take Quad amps for instance, I hate their sound but they are massively popular and highly rated. I tried a few and none made any impression other than to take it out asap. Doesn't mean they are shat, just that I don't like them. I love Vintage Japanese hifi but theres a crowd who hate it. Align yourself with people who have a similar taste and you'll be fine. Ignore the detractors too.

It's spot on where you wrote about people being on their high horse. Regardless of experience, sometimes what's right for you just doesn't work for someone else.

This is a good forum and it's moderated to keep it that way. Well done all.

Good post OP.

PS, as good as EVH is I'm afraid Jimi Hendrix rules and always will.
    My hero is Yngwie Malmsteen. And the reason I prefer vinyl is because only on vinyl can you actually hear Yngwie's playing properly. That's because his shredding is so fast that notes fall between the 1s and 0s cracks on digital, and only a continuous groove of an LP can faithfully store all his amazing licks.

Alex.

I'm Dennis.

We are all individual because of our formative years, those experiences being very varied, and also a part of our sensibility and sensitivity development.

We bond with our Hi-Fi, it is not just a utility with a cold functionality, but the subjects of the art itself are contrastingly often very emotional and dear to us. We risk conflating this with the equipment itself, (association, and even transference).

The bonding is an investment of our inner selves, our 'souls' which can make us prone to feel abused if others do not appreciate what has to us become precious through listening experience.

The artistic nature of the material is a separate domain from the Hi-Fi which we want to perfectly reveal the art, (to be objective, (transparent), don't we?), and this is a functional thing, not art, although engineering is an art.

When we engage with the art our egos are in potential threat from others with different sensitivities if they do not empathise, and we feel vulnerable to discreditation, invalidation or dismissal of what we hold dear, and this may make us more ready to be defensive and 'on guard'.

I hope we would only try to advise others when we see an obvious mistake about which we are confident, and even them with a humble approach.

Car ads show clearly what bollocks is involved in the psychology, Hi-Fi sales blurb is much more difficult to refute/invalidate, and their functionality is easier to validate, with cars the subjective areas perhaps less significant.
    Last edited by Pharos; 12-04-2018 at 09:13. Reason: Clarification - not clear

+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 23 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast