+ Reply to Thread
Page 21 of 23 FirstFirst ... 111920212223 LastLast

Thread: 10 audiophile myths busted

I'm openingabottleofwine.

Quote Originally Posted by Macca View Post
    I quite like 'Seven Seas Of Rye'. But I'd cheerfully go back in time and strangle them all as children to prevent 'Bohemian Rhapsody.' Then bet on some sports fixtures and make millions like Biff out of 'Back To The Future - Part 2'. Could go and see Hendrix at the Isle Of Wight too. I'd just have to avoid meeting my future self. And getting caught for the child murders, obviously.
    And there I was thinking that I was the only one of two people (the second is now sadly dead) in the whole Universe who detests 'Bohemian rhapsody'!
    Barry

I'm Geoff.

Quote Originally Posted by Barry View Post
    And there I was thinking that I was the only one of two people (the second is now sadly dead) in the whole Universe who detests 'Bohemian rhapsody'!
    Join the club!

I'm Russell.

Oh mama mia, mama mia let me go!

Russell

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I'm Dennis.

A better system will allow more to be heard of the performance which surely means more of the artist's expression, but music can still be appreciated on much lesser equipment.

I agree Alex about car purchase, and I'm sure a great deal of analysis is put into seduction of the populous by advertising, centred on self image and resulting self esteem. (Placement of self in social hierarchy, status etc.)

I am worried personally that I may be subconsciously doing that with my new speakers, and have been discussing this with a friend, they are a little bit bling.

I also agree that long term relaxed listening can allow new perceptions, and that the pressure involved in short AB comparisons can, like exam or interview nerves, sabotage the objective.

I'm Alex.

Quote Originally Posted by alphaGT View Post
    In an earlier post I said that I don’t pay attention to measurements anymore, I buy stereo based on its ability to evoke emotion. It seems a lot of us are on the same page?

But what I didn’t say was that as my system has evolved to be emotionally evoking, I find that I’m using gear that has been touted as Hi End. Which usually means it has some quality that garners praise in the industry. So perhaps accuracy is what makes a system more involving? If a 13 foot grand piano sounds like a child’s toy, it’s not going to be satisfying.

As far as buying name brands to impress others, I don’t subscribe to that. Oh! I know people do! Well to do people want to show off the fact that they own the best! But personally, I don’t know a soul who is impressed by the names on my stereo, no one I know is even aware of who these companies are. While they may be impressed by its sheer size, and quality of playback, the fact that I have a Cary CD player doesn’t even register with them, they’ve never even heard of them. So I hang out with a bunch of hicks, so what. That’s why I’m on this forum, to have someone to talk to about this crap. And I’d hate to think I spent $20 grand to impress you blokes.

Russell
    Hi fi is a prestigious thing not because of the way it looks (it's not a car), nor because of the expensive brand names of its constituent components. Most people who are supposed to be impressed by our hi fi don't really know anything about hi fi brands, nor how expensive/affordable those brands are.

What is impressive is when you have guests over and play them some music, and it's usually the very first time they've heard good sound system. It usually leaves quite an impression (unless a guest is an idiot, of course; then you cannot make any impression, because idiots are unimpressionable).
    Don't you just hate it when you cannot detect where the post ends and a signature line begins?

Alex.

I'm Alan.

Quote Originally Posted by alphaGT View Post
    So I hang out with a bunch of hicks, so what. That’s why I’m on this forum, to have someone to talk to about this crap. And I’d hate to think I spent $20 grand to impress you blokes.
    You got me there Russel, I'm a hick

We are not very impressionable on here, you may have noticed.

I'm joe.

Quote Originally Posted by Pharos View Post
    I also agree that long term relaxed listening can allow new perceptions, and that the pressure involved in short AB comparisons can, like exam or interview nerves, sabotage the objective.
    It's this 'pressure' bit I don't understand. Let's suppose you buy a new mains cable (or whatever) and proclaim to the world 'this has transformed the sound of my system, it's a night and day difference'. Surely there would be no pressure on you to undertake a simple demonstration of this difference? Someone switches between old and new cables, without telling you which cable is in use. The 'night and day difference' should be obvious.

Or, of course, some people are making overblown claims about tiny (or non-existent) differences, and are understandably reluctant to have these claims debunked.

Obviously people can buy what they want, even if to 99% of the population their purchases seem over-priced to the point of insanity. I don't myself care if their claims are exaggerated or based purely on wishful thinking. But if someone proclaims to the world that their purchase of a new gizmo has made a huge difference to the sound of their system, it's surely not unreasonable for someone else to ask them to demonstrate this; indeed, the purchaser should be only too pleased to do so.

I'm Martin.

Quote Originally Posted by Joe View Post
    It's this 'pressure' bit I don't understand. Let's suppose you buy a new mains cable (or whatever) and proclaim to the world 'this has transformed the sound of my system, it's a night and day difference'. Surely there would be no pressure on you to undertake a simple demonstration of this difference? Someone switches between old and new cables, without telling you which cable is in use. The 'night and day difference' should be obvious.

Or, of course, some people are making overblown claims about tiny (or non-existent) differences, and are understandably reluctant to have these claims debunked.

Obviously people can buy what they want, even if to 99% of the population their purchases seem over-priced to the point of insanity. I don't myself care if their claims are exaggerated or based purely on wishful thinking. But if someone proclaims to the world that their purchase of a new gizmo has made a huge difference to the sound of their system, it's surely not unreasonable for someone else to ask them to demonstrate this; indeed, the purchaser should be only too pleased to do so.
    Added to which if the difference is as large as claimed it should be trivially easy to spot it blind, despite all the 'pressure'.

Anyway I've took the horse to water and it won't drink so I'll just let the horse get on with it and go and do something else.
    Current Lash Up:

TEAC VRDS 701T > Sony TAE1000ESD > Krell KSA50S > JM Labs Focal Electra 926.

I'm George.

Of course, some people are prone to exaggerate these differences but that does not mean they do not exist and for some, the removal of a sharp sound to something more neutral means a lot to them. I am not keen on blind tests as everytime they have been done on SS amps people were unable to tell the differences between them. Not a great advert for the test. Does a Naim, Lavardin, Pass Labs and a Class D nCore amplifier sound the same? Listen in a relaxed environment and there are differences that are easy to hear. Do a double-blind listening test and you can't tell the differences between them. If it does not work on SS amps then what chance on subtler effects with cables?

Use the components to do what they were designed to do, play music in your hifi system. Do not worry about artificial tests that try to solve one problem by creating another.

I'm Russell.

Quote Originally Posted by magiccarpetride View Post
    Hi fi is a prestigious thing not because of the way it looks (it's not a car), nor because of the expensive brand names of its constituent components. Most people who are supposed to be impressed by our hi fi don't really know anything about hi fi brands, nor how expensive/affordable those brands are.

What is impressive is when you have guests over and play them some music, and it's usually the very first time they've heard good sound system. It usually leaves quite an impression (unless a guest is an idiot, of course; then you cannot make any impression, because idiots are unimpressionable).
    It’s true that some friends come just to listen. They bring a few beers and we enjoy some old songs that bring back memories. They would never pay to have a decent system of their own, but they do know they enjoy my system. And that’s part of the joy of ownership! To share great music with your friends, and family. For a brief moment they understand why you are so into it.

And a few of my friends have stepped up and bought themselves some decent stereo. And I felt good to think I influenced them to do so. I’m not sure why? But I do.

Russell

+ Reply to Thread
Page 21 of 23 FirstFirst ... 111920212223 LastLast