+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 23 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast

Thread: 10 audiophile myths busted

I'm Alex.

Quote Originally Posted by Macca View Post
    I agree.

But more likely the science gets brought in because someone says ' I prefer the ABC because it uses 'X' technology making it sound better'. And then someone says, 'No, that's just marketing bullshit, X tech does nothing' and then goes on to show why with graphs and so forth.

If they'd just left it at 'I prefer the ABC' then no-one would care.

I'm sure there is bullshit in the world of wine and coffee too, but Audio has a distinct combination of bullshit and technology, I think that's what does it.
    Yeah. If I were to say on any audio forum (except for the very civilized The Art of Sound, of course) that I personally prefer how vinyl sounds, there will immediately be a bunch of foaming at the mouth idiots who will let me know that I'm a fecking loser and that Nyquist theorem unambiguously shows how digital is superior and some such crap.

But thankfully there is no mathematical theorem that proves that kale tastes better than roasted chicken.
    Don't you just hate it when you cannot detect where the post ends and a signature line begins?

Alex.

I'm Alex.

Quote Originally Posted by Pigmy Pony View Post
    I dunno, maybe it's a question of money. A coffee may be 2 or 3 quid, audio components hundreds, maybe thousands of pounds. My brother favours Starbucks, I prefer Café Nero, my oldest friend thinks they're all a ripoff and would rather buy a 90p brew from a butty shop. But the conversation didn't go beyond that statement.

There is generally much time, money and thought invested in purchasing hifi, so more at stake.

I find that when speaking to audio enthusiasts they are generally reasonable and receptive to other people's views, so maybe it depends how a statement is made. If you were to say 'cartridge x is the best cartridge I've ever heard', the response would probably be 'yes they are good, but I prefer cartridge y'. If however you said 'this is the best cartridge, full stop', you're asking for trouble.

If I come across someone overbearing and arrogant, I tend not to 'get into it' with them, as I'm no good with confrontations. I just take them off my Christmas card list and move on.

Apologies if I'm missing the point here.
    How about cars? They tend to be more expensive than your average hi fi gear, yet pundits are not throwing mathematical theorems at each other trying to prove how this model is superior to that model.
    Don't you just hate it when you cannot detect where the post ends and a signature line begins?

Alex.

I'm Chris.

Nah. BOTH coffee taste AND hi-fi sound depend on how many joints you've smoked beforehand.
    And the next time is NEVER the same....)-:
    Chris.

I'm nigel.

With regard to the original post.....the best guitar player is Eddie Van Halen.
    No backchats, no crosskings, no nowt.....end of.

Say otherwise and invite death.

P.s....i'm a EVH (as he's known to his friends) fan.

NIGE.

I'm Steve.

Quote Originally Posted by hornucopia View Post
    Nah. BOTH coffee taste AND hi-fi sound depend on how many joints you've smoked beforehand.
    And the next time is NEVER the same....)-:
    Yes but it's been scientifically proven that 'cheese' is best, and people who prefer 'skunk' are tossers...
    I just dropped in, to see what condition my condition was in

T/T: Inspire Monarch, X200 tonearm, Ortofon Quintet Blue. Phono: Project Tube Box CD: Marantz CD6006 (UK Edition); Amp: Musical Fidelity A5 Integrated.
    Speakers: Zu Omen Def, REL T9i subwoofer. Cables: Atlas Equator interconnects, Atlas Hyper 3.0 speaker cables

T'other system:
    Echo Dot, Amptastic Mini One,Arcam A75 integrated, Celestion 5's, BK XLS-200 DF

A/V:
    LG 55" OLED, Panasonic Blu Ray, Sony a/v amp, MA Radius speakers, REL Storm sub

Forget the past, it's gone. And don't worry about the future, it doesn't exist. There is only NOW.

KICKSTARTER: ENABLING SCAMMERS SINCE 2009

I'm Alex.

Quote Originally Posted by sumday View Post
    With regard to the original post.....the best guitar player is Eddie Van Halen.
    No backchats, no crosskings, no nowt.....end of.

Say otherwise and invite death.

P.s....i'm a EVH (as he's known to his friends) fan.

NIGE.
    It's okay to have your favourite guitar player. What is NOT okay is to criticize my fav guitar player. You will invoke my endless wrath if you dare do so!

Alex.

I'm Steve.

Quote Originally Posted by magiccarpetride View Post
    How about cars? They tend to be more expensive than your average hi fi gear, yet pundits are not throwing mathematical theorems at each other trying to prove how this model is superior to that model.
    I bet if you went to a Ferrari owners club meeting, they'd be slagging Lamborghini owners no end...
    I just dropped in, to see what condition my condition was in

T/T: Inspire Monarch, X200 tonearm, Ortofon Quintet Blue. Phono: Project Tube Box CD: Marantz CD6006 (UK Edition); Amp: Musical Fidelity A5 Integrated.
    Speakers: Zu Omen Def, REL T9i subwoofer. Cables: Atlas Equator interconnects, Atlas Hyper 3.0 speaker cables

T'other system:
    Echo Dot, Amptastic Mini One,Arcam A75 integrated, Celestion 5's, BK XLS-200 DF

A/V:
    LG 55" OLED, Panasonic Blu Ray, Sony a/v amp, MA Radius speakers, REL Storm sub

Forget the past, it's gone. And don't worry about the future, it doesn't exist. There is only NOW.

KICKSTARTER: ENABLING SCAMMERS SINCE 2009

I'm Alex.

Quote Originally Posted by Pigmy Pony View Post
    Yes but it's been scientifically proven that 'cheese' is best, and people who prefer 'skunk' are tossers...
    Ah yes, the famous Einstein cheesy theory.

Alex.

I'm Alex.

Quote Originally Posted by JimC View Post
    Aww, I was expecting a list of ''10 audiophile myths busted'' I'm gonna hunt you down and hang you from the nearest tree !!

I totally agree with what you have said though and I'm sorry, I cannot explain it either.
    This is the one and only Audio Forum I frequent because it is the most friendly and 'ego' free of them all as far as I am concerned.
    All the rest are full of people exactly as you describe.

Is it because of money being spent? To be told that the Cartridge you've spent all your hard-earned Nelson's on isn't the best ever must make some people furious. Your analogy with wine is interesting. I do not appreciate wines I'm afraid but when you start to spend serious money on it does the same thing happen? To be told that the £100 (? is this expensive?) bottle of plonk you've just bought is considered vinegar by others, would this make you rant and rave and threaten the person who said it was awful ?

It is a strange world we live in indeed.

Jim
    Yeah, I don't think it's about money. Look at cars -- some models sell in hundreds of thousands of dollars, and yet no one is up in the arms if a guy says he prefers Lamborghinis to Ferraris. Good for you, douchebag, and I envy you with all my might. But I'm not gonna risk looking like a complete religious fanatic by trying to educate you on all the lies car manufacturers are hoisting upon you.

Yes, cars can also be reduced down to laws of physics, yet we all seem fine with someone's choice of their favourite automobile. We're not trying to protect them from manipulative car salesmen. Only in audio do we feel the urge to save some poor souls from the evil manipulative manufacturers.

Alex.

I'm Alex.

Quote Originally Posted by mikmas View Post
    You better believe it ...

I used to work with a crazed coffee freak and there was no way you could enjoy a cappuccino in his presence .... his home coffee machine cost well over 2 grand and even the bean grinder was not far off that price. His hifi setup was fairly pants though
    But was he, out of the goodness of his heart, trying to protect you from the evil and manipulative espresso machine manufacturers? Was he trying to bust all the espresso makers myths?

Alex.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 23 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast