+ Reply to Thread
Page 12 of 23 FirstFirst ... 2101112131422 ... LastLast

Thread: 10 audiophile myths busted

I'm AudioAl'sArbiterForPISHANTO.

Quote Originally Posted by magiccarpetride View Post
    I just want to point out that it would incorrect to call those objectivists 'scientifically-minded'. I am a scientist by education and training, and the first thing you learn in your scientific training is that in order to be a good scientist, you need to be perfectly comfortable with publicly admitting that you don't know.

Basically, scientists are people who start from the basic premise that they don't know anything, then formulate some hypotheses and then devise a plan on how to gather the data that will either prove or disprove those hypotheses.
    Indeed, and that's how REAL scientists behave; it's the 'wannabee scientists' (read as blinkered objectivists, posing as self-appointed 'experts'), with huge unjustified egos, who populate (some would say infect) audio forums, and who think that they actually *know* something [in the way you describe], which are the problem.

Often the most talented people in the world are among the most humble, simply because they don't need to shout about their abilities. As the old saying goes: 'An empty vessel makes the most noise'

Marco.
    Main System

Turntable: Heavily-modified Technics SL-1210MK5G [Mike New bearing/ETP platter/Paul Hynes SR7 PSU & reg mods]. Funk Firm APM Achromat/Nagaoka GL-601 Crystal Record Weight/Isonoe feet & boots/Ortofon RS-212D/Denon DL-103GL in Denon PCL-300 headshell with Funk Firm Houdini/Kondo SL-115 pure-silver cartridge leads.

Paul Hynes MC head amp/SR5 PSU. Also modded Lentek head amp/Denon AU-310 SUT.

Other Cartridges: Nippon Columbia (NOS 1987) Denon DL-103. USA-made Shure SC35C with NOS stylus. Goldring G820 with NOS stylus. Shure M55E with NOS stylus.

CD Player: Audiocom-modified Sony X-777ES/DAS-R1 DAC.

Tape Deck: Tandberg TCD 310, fully restored and recalibrated as new, by RDE, plus upgraded with heads from the TCD-420a. Also with matching TM4 Norway microphones.

Preamps: Heavily-modified Croft Charisma-X. LDR Stereo Coffee. Power Amps: Tube Distinctions Copper Amp fitted with Tungsol KT-150s. Quad 306.

Cables & Sundries: Mark Grant HDX1 interconnects and digital coaxial cable, plus Mark Grant 6mm UP-LCOFC Van Damme speaker cable. MCRU 'Ultimate' mains leads. Lehmann clone headphone amp with vintage Koss PRO-4AAA headphones.

Tube Distinctions digital noise filter. VPI HW16.5 record cleaning machine.

Speakers: Tannoy 15MGs in Lockwood cabinets with modified crossovers. 1967 Celestion Ditton 15.

Protect your HUMAN RIGHTS and REFUSE ANY *MANDATORY* VACCINE FOR COVID-19!

Also **SAY NO** to unjust 'vaccine passports' or certificates, which are totally incompatible with a FREE society!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Joe View Post
    ... go to a concert.
    ...acoustic only.

Marco.
    Main System

Turntable: Heavily-modified Technics SL-1210MK5G [Mike New bearing/ETP platter/Paul Hynes SR7 PSU & reg mods]. Funk Firm APM Achromat/Nagaoka GL-601 Crystal Record Weight/Isonoe feet & boots/Ortofon RS-212D/Denon DL-103GL in Denon PCL-300 headshell with Funk Firm Houdini/Kondo SL-115 pure-silver cartridge leads.

Other Cartridges: Nippon Columbia (NOS 1987) Denon DL-103. USA-made Shure SC35C with NOS stylus. Goldring G820 with NOS stylus. Shure M55E with NOS stylus.

Tape Deck: Tandberg TCD 310, fully restored and recalibrated as new, by RDE, plus upgraded with heads from the TCD-420a. Also with matching TM4 Norway microphones.

Preamps: Heavily-modified Croft Charisma-X. LDR Stereo Coffee. Power Amps: Tube Distinctions Copper Amp fitted with Tungsol KT-150s. Quad 306.

Cables & Sundries: Mark Grant HDX1 interconnects and digital coaxial cable, plus Mark Grant 6mm UP-LCOFC Van Damme speaker cable. MCRU 'Ultimate' mains leads. Lehmann clone headphone amp with vintage Koss PRO-4AAA headphones.

Speakers: Tannoy 15MGs in Lockwood cabinets with modified crossovers. 1967 Celestion Ditton 15.

Also **SAY NO** to unjust 'vaccine passports' or certificates, which are totally incompatible with a FREE society!!!

I'm joe.

Quote Originally Posted by Marco View Post
    ...acoustic only.

Marco.
    Obviously. Otherwise it'd be a gig.

Some folks call a concert a gig, and vice versa, incorrectly I know. Therefore, best not to assume one way or the other.

Marco.
    Main System

I'm Timothy.

Audiophile Myth xx-Most of these threads end up being pointless overall, as we all do what we want to anyway!

Actually it has been an interesting read, as are most posts. And the above is probably truth and not myth...I am confused. More coffee...
    Last edited by Frazeur1; 13-04-2018 at 09:11.
    Holbo TT-Nag 110-Croft phono/Innuos Zen MK2/LinnenberG Telemann DAC-Preamp/LinnenberG Allegro monoblocs/Duevel Venus/LinnenberG Maestro SE-Senn. 660S DH Labs cabling

Croft Series 7 amps, WLM La Scala, Naim Uniti1, Naim Nait XS3, Naim ND5XS2, Guru Junior

I'm Alan.

Gotta keep the old grey matter ticking over or we'll all end up liking Bananarama

I'm Timothy.

The tunes might have been lame, but the chicks were okay!
    Holbo TT-Nag 110-Croft phono/Innuos Zen MK2/LinnenberG Telemann DAC-Preamp/LinnenberG Allegro monoblocs/Duevel Venus/LinnenberG Maestro SE-Senn. 660S DH Labs cabling

Croft Series 7 amps, WLM La Scala, Naim Uniti1, Naim Nait XS3, Naim ND5XS2, Guru Junior

I'm Geoff.

Quote Originally Posted by Frazeur1 View Post
    The tunes might have been lame, but the chicks were okay!
    Keren was OK. The other two were a bit rough. Guess they're about sixty now!

I'm Timothy.

Geoff, strangely as I get older, my scale tends to slide upwards as well. Some 60 year olds are still hot...ugh, did I really just say that?

I'm Geoff.

Quote Originally Posted by Frazeur1 View Post
    Some 60 year olds are still hot...ugh, did I really just say that?
    I guess if the incontinence pants and zimmer frame don't put you off, go for it!

+ Reply to Thread
Page 12 of 23 FirstFirst ... 2101112131422 ... LastLast