+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: The BIG issue :)

I'm Steve.

Default The BIG issue :)

This is my current set up - 2TB Brennan fed through a Yamaha WXC-50 streaming pre-amp via toslink. The speakers are Yamaha HS7 active monitors and the Yamaha HS8S active Sub. These speakers are on QuickLok BS300 Adjustable stands.

I’m pretty happy with this set up - my needs are simple. A little bit of radio, and selections from my extensive CD’s ripped to the Brennan. And with the sound by passing any electronic trickery the WXC-50 offers, as in ‘direct’ - for the outlay the sound is stunning to say the least. The speakers to me sound flawless! But I have to add that I am no audiophile!

However - I have come across a problem. There is a spare aux input on the WXC-50 so I thought I’d try my Sky box plugged in, for the various music stations that exist on that platform. I even bought new leads, as I always do for new connections to anything. But the feedback noise is absolutely awful in the form of a hum. It can be drowned out to an extent by turning up the volume but that obviously is not ideal. I’m wondering if the Yamaha and the Sky box are in too close proximity. They are on different shelves the Yamaha over the top of the Sky box, in a purpose built AV TV unit.

I would rather solve this problem as opposed to start replacing gear. In fact I would rather do without the sky connection and keep the set up simple as described above than look into a more complex set up. Does anyone have any ideas about what could be causing this awful feedback? And more to the point, is it solvable? Having said that, and now that the bee is in my bonnet, I could see me replacing the amp for a more substantial AV receiver if is is found that this is at fault. Somehow though this unit has been so good in what it does, I don’t think it is this. HELP!
    2TB Brennan fed through a Yamaha RN-803D network amp via toslink. The speakers are floor-standing Q Acoustics Concept 40s on spikes. Next up, CD player, turntable, possible sub.

I'm Geoff.

Why don't you convert your WXC-50 to a WXA-50 by adding the amp module. I hear that it is very good.

Geoff

I'm Steve.

Can you just add the amp module? I was thinking that I should have got the WXA - but I got the set up that was recommended by someone else. And to be fair, it is good. I'd hate to either buy a WXA or the module as you suggest, only to find it didn't cure my problem.
    2TB Brennan fed through a Yamaha RN-803D network amp via toslink. The speakers are floor-standing Q Acoustics Concept 40s on spikes. Next up, CD player, turntable, possible sub.

I'm Martin.

Does your Sky box have optical out? If so connect it to the WXC via optical cable. The hum is probably an earth loop, optical connection will solve that.
    Current Lash Up:

TEAC VRDS 701T > Sony TAE1000ESD > Krell KSA50S > JM Labs Focal Electra 926.

I'm AMusicFanNotAnAudiophile.

Quote Originally Posted by Macca View Post
    The hum is probably an earth loop, optical connection will solve that.
    It probably isn't.
    There's nothing grounded from a safety earth perspective.
    Chris

Common sense isn't anymore!

I'm Martin.

Still worth a try IMO.
    Current Lash Up:

TEAC VRDS 701T > Sony TAE1000ESD > Krell KSA50S > JM Labs Focal Electra 926.

The optical will work without a hitch.
    The only problem is that the pre has a single connection.

The buzzing (why the OP called it feedback God alone knows ) could well be a problem with a lack of continuity on the signal ground.
    Chris

I'm Steve.

That you all for your input - most appreciated.

The WXC only has one optical and the Brennan uses that - I use this the most! I wouldn't give the optical up for the Sky box just on the amount of times I might use this versus the amount of times I use the B2. The hum/buzz happens when I connect the red cable to its socket - not sure if that means anything to any of you or not?

What happens when you connect the Brennan to the aux input?
    Chris

I'm Dennis.

My immediate reaction is as above, an earth loop problem, but a signal earth problem quite separate from earthing for safety at one point.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast