+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Cagey's new cables

I'm Kevin.

Default Cagey's new cables

I made a couple of new interconnects up recently.
    One set based are made from ELECAUDIO SC-221OCC. This is a "balanced" cable, made from OCC copper, with PTFE insulation fitted with plastic bodied MS Audio plugs.
    The other set is made from Neotech NEMOI-5220. Another "balanced" cable made from rectangular solid core OFC with PTFE insulation. These are fitted with KLE copper Harmony plugs.
    Both sets are roughly 0.5m long.

Marco currently has them, as I sent them to him to see what he thought of them.
    Before he sends them back to me, is there anybody interested in trying them? If so, please reply here.

To be perfectly clear, I have no intention ok making these and selling them on so if you like what you hear, you will have to either make them yourself or get someone else to make them up for you.
    As such I am wanting them to return here in the next couple of months so I will keep the numbers limited.

I am sure Marco will be along with his thoughts soon, but in summary he prefers the Sommer Carbokab in his system.
    Kevin

Too busy enjoying the music....

European loan coordinator for Graham Slee HiFi system components..

I'm Deleted.

I would, particularly the Neotech, but 0.5M is too short for me, would have to be a metre .
    Account Deleted

I'm Kevin.

If there is no interest in the next few days, I will ask Marco to post these back to me.
    Kevin

I'm AudioAl'sArbiterForPISHANTO.

Bit busy just now, so to save time, I've copied the PM message (shown below) I sent Kevin about the cables he kindly loaned me, as mentioned. If anyone would like me to expand on the points I've made, just let me know

Quote Originally Posted by Marco
    Yes, I've now finally came to some conclusions about the cables! Sorry about the delay, but I never make snap judgements on these things, and it takes time to get a proper handle on what each cable is doing.

The new cables you sent (Neotech), with the KLE Harmony plugs are good, but to my ears not in the same league musically, overall, as the Sommer Carbokabs. The former have a nice open and 'airy', detailed tonal quality, and do everything else pretty well too, but ultimately superimpose a 'false sheen' on proceedings, which I consider as unnatural.

The latter (Carbokabs), whilst sometimes not sounding as 'impressive', to my ears make music flow better and are ultimately more 'tuneful' sounding, thus allowing them, in my system, to 'disappear', so I can simply concentrate on the music, instead of focusing on 'hifi-isms', if you follow me?

I get the impression you like a slightly more 'spotlit' and forward presentation to me, that is if you prefer the new cables to the Carbokabs, which may be a result of how our respective systems are 'voiced'.

The other cables you sent (Elecaudio), with the MS Audio plus are interesting, and in some ways preferable to the new cables you made, as they share the slightly more 'easy going', big-boned qualities of the Carbokabs, but like them still sound open and revealing, although ultimately not quite as musically satisfying. I could probably live with them if I didn't know that the Carbokabs existed.

Experience has taught me that the best cables, in any system, are those that simply do their job without drawing attention to themselves, which is actually easier said than done, and that means them not acting like an obvious tone control.

Therefore, in that respect, the Carbokabs will remain as my cables of choice, until such times as I introduce myself (or you introduce me) to something else!
    I would add that I can usually hear the inherent sonic signature of solid-core cables, as described above [a little 'hard' and unnatural], which ultimately isn't for me, and on that basis is why I rejected the Neotech. I seem to be more of a 'stranded' guy

Marco.
    Main System

Turntable: Heavily-modified Technics SL-1210MK5G [Mike New bearing/ETP platter/Paul Hynes SR7 PSU & reg mods]. Funk Firm APM Achromat/Nagaoka GL-601 Crystal Record Weight/Isonoe feet & boots/Ortofon RS-212D/Denon DL-103GL in Denon PCL-300 headshell with Funk Firm Houdini/Kondo SL-115 pure-silver cartridge leads.

Paul Hynes MC head amp/SR5 PSU. Also modded Lentek head amp/Denon AU-310 SUT.

Other Cartridges: Nippon Columbia (NOS 1987) Denon DL-103. USA-made Shure SC35C with NOS stylus. Goldring G820 with NOS stylus. Shure M55E with NOS stylus.

CD Player: Audiocom-modified Sony X-777ES/DAS-R1 DAC.

Tape Deck: Tandberg TCD 310, fully restored and recalibrated as new, by RDE, plus upgraded with heads from the TCD-420a. Also with matching TM4 Norway microphones.

Preamps: Heavily-modified Croft Charisma-X. LDR Stereo Coffee. Power Amps: Tube Distinctions Copper Amp fitted with Tungsol KT-150s. Quad 306.

Cables & Sundries: Mark Grant HDX1 interconnects and digital coaxial cable, plus Mark Grant 6mm UP-LCOFC Van Damme speaker cable. MCRU 'Ultimate' mains leads. Lehmann clone headphone amp with vintage Koss PRO-4AAA headphones.

Tube Distinctions digital noise filter. VPI HW16.5 record cleaning machine.

Speakers: Tannoy 15MGs in Lockwood cabinets with modified crossovers. 1967 Celestion Ditton 15.

Protect your HUMAN RIGHTS and REFUSE ANY *MANDATORY* VACCINE FOR COVID-19!

Also **SAY NO** to unjust 'vaccine passports' or certificates, which are totally incompatible with a FREE society!!!

I'm Kevin.

I have asked Marco to post these back to me, so the offer is now withdrawn.
    Kevin

I'm Gary.

Quote Originally Posted by Marco View Post
    Bit busy just now, so to save time, I've copied the PM message (shown below) I sent Kevin about the cables he kindly loaned me, as mentioned. If anyone would like me to expand on the points I've made, just let me know

I would add that I can usually hear the inherent sonic signature of solid-core cables, as described above [a little 'hard' and unnatural], which ultimately isn't for me, and on that basis is why I rejected the Neotech. I seem to be more of a multi-strand guy

Marco.
    Marco,

Have you tried CarbOkab 225 with no shield connected?

I find in my system the cables sound better this way than with shield connected either end.

My cables are 0.5 metres.

I'm Bill.

Quote Originally Posted by Stryder5 View Post
    Marco,

I find in my system the cables sound better this way than with shield connected either end.

Carbokab with the shield completely stripped away - that is the best I've heard it
    Chord Mojo / Sennheiser HD600

Sorry, just noticed this:

Quote Originally Posted by Stryder5 View Post
    Marco,

Don't think so. Ask Kev... As far as I know, mine have the shield connected at the source end only, and sound fab. He may be doing some more cables for me (Carbocab with different plugs to those I'm using now), so we might experiment with the shield thing then.

I know that I don't like how they sound with the shield connected at either end.

Marco.
    Main System

Turntable: Heavily-modified Technics SL-1210MK5G [Mike New bearing/ETP platter/Paul Hynes SR7 PSU & reg mods]. Funk Firm APM Achromat/Nagaoka GL-601 Crystal Record Weight/Isonoe feet & boots/Ortofon RS-212D/Denon DL-103GL in Denon PCL-300 headshell with Funk Firm Houdini/Kondo SL-115 pure-silver cartridge leads.

Other Cartridges: Nippon Columbia (NOS 1987) Denon DL-103. USA-made Shure SC35C with NOS stylus. Goldring G820 with NOS stylus. Shure M55E with NOS stylus.

Tape Deck: Tandberg TCD 310, fully restored and recalibrated as new, by RDE, plus upgraded with heads from the TCD-420a. Also with matching TM4 Norway microphones.

Preamps: Heavily-modified Croft Charisma-X. LDR Stereo Coffee. Power Amps: Tube Distinctions Copper Amp fitted with Tungsol KT-150s. Quad 306.

Cables & Sundries: Mark Grant HDX1 interconnects and digital coaxial cable, plus Mark Grant 6mm UP-LCOFC Van Damme speaker cable. MCRU 'Ultimate' mains leads. Lehmann clone headphone amp with vintage Koss PRO-4AAA headphones.

Speakers: Tannoy 15MGs in Lockwood cabinets with modified crossovers. 1967 Celestion Ditton 15.

Also **SAY NO** to unjust 'vaccine passports' or certificates, which are totally incompatible with a FREE society!!!

I'm jamie.

Quote Originally Posted by Marco View Post
    I know that I don't like how they sound with the shield connected at either end.

Marco.
    now why did you have to say that? guess what i'll be doing at the weekend!!!
    My System
    John Wood KT88 Amp.
    Paradise Phono Stage
    Sony TTS-8000 Turntable.
    PMAT-1010 MK6 Tonearm.
    Ortofon Cadenza Bronze
    Sony X555ES Cd Player
    Yamaha NS1000m Speakers

Lol..... You know I like keeping you busy!

There was quite a marked sonic improvement, to my ears, simply having the shield connected only at the source end. I can't comment on disconnected altogether, as I haven't tried that.

Do report back with your findings

Marco.
    Main System

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast