+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Long run of HDMI required for 4K

I'm Bob.

Default Long run of HDMI required for 4K

Just stepping into 4K AV with an OPPO 205 and a Sony 4K screen due later this week.

Any recommendations for a high speed HDMI 18Gbps cable? It needs to deliver over a run of 11 meters, I can't really get it any shorter.

Am I still OK with a passive cable over this distance or am I on the limit?

The screen also has an ARC HDMI connection, the player has an HDMI input. I'm assuming this is to get audio from the station received by the TV back to the OPPO?

If so then I guess I'm going to need 2 of these 11m cables, or have I misinterpreted what I've been looking at. I need to get these cables right first time as they're going under the floorboards (which means ME climbing under to fit them). Once they're under I don't want to go back again.

Sorry for the numpty questions but this is new to me and it seems there's a bit more to it than just plugging in.

Thanks, Bob
    Source: Orbe SE / SME IV / Cadenza Bronze
    Source: WD NAS / Cyrus Stream X2 / Chord DAVE
    Source: Oppo UDP-205 (CD/DVD-A/SACD)

Amplification: Icon Audio PS 3 Sig Phono + Audio Research LS27 + Musical Fidelity A5cr Power Amp
    Loudspeakers: ProAc Response D28
    Cables/stands: Mark Grant G1500HD + Linn K20 + Cat 5e
    Other bits: Okki Nokki keeping things clean

I'm Geoff.

This site can offer 11m or 12m cables that meet your needs

http://www.cablesuk.co.uk/12m-HDMI-C...oaAhcKEALw_wcB

Most other sites do 10m or 15m. This seems a rel bargain from Amazon as it includes Redmere tech which I would suggest is necessary for anything over a couple of meters.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/AmazonBasic...+cable+redmere

Geoff

PS. Make sure you get the direction right when laying it out. The source and monitor ends are marked on the plugs.

I'm Gareth.

Be sure to purchase from a retailer who’ll accept returns if the cable doesn’t function as expected. I experienced dropouts/pixelation with 4K material over a mere 3m using a cable that claimed to 4K UHD compatible. Ended up buying a certified cable and all was fine:

https://www.amazon.co.uk/OMARS®-Prem...certified&th=1

I'm Bob.

Thanks for the info so far.

It's now just down to do I need one or two cables???

Amplification: Icon Audio PS 3 Sig Phono + Audio Research LS27 + Musical Fidelity A5cr Power Amp

I'm Geoff.

Quote Originally Posted by bob4333 View Post
    Thanks for the info so far.

It's now just down to do I need one or two cables???
    If you are installing one, I would double up with two in case one cable fails. Too much effort to take up the boards again, although you might be able to pull a replacement cable through by attachning to the original. Are you using a conduit?

Geoff

I'm Bob.

Quote Originally Posted by Sherwood View Post
    If you are installing one, I would double up with two in case one cable fails. Too much effort to take up the boards again, although you might be able to pull a replacement cable through by attachning to the original. Are you using a conduit?

Geoff
    No Geoff, no conduit and I've tried (believe me) drawing other cables through using a variety of methods to avoid crawling around.

My question centres around will 1 cable carry signals both ways, or do I need to use the ARC socket from the TV to get the TV audio back to the surround system? I guess if I use the Redmere cable I'll need 2 as these are directional if I've got this right?

Does this look like it'll do the job (not redmere though)?

https://www.amazon.co.uk/HDMI-Cable-...mi+cable&psc=1

I'm Geoff.

Quote Originally Posted by bob4333 View Post
    No Geoff, no conduit and I've tried (believe me) drawing other cables through using a variety of methods to avoid crawling around.

My question centres around will 1 cable carry signals both ways, or do I need to use the ARC socket from the TV to get the TV audio back to the surround system? I guess if I use the Redmere cable I'll need 2 as these are directional if I've got this right?

Does this look like it'll do the job (not redmere though)?

https://www.amazon.co.uk/HDMI-Cable-...mi+cable&psc=1
    The specs for the Amazon show it has ARC and is rated for in wall installation, Specs in full are:

A-Male to A-Male HDMI cable with RedMere technology; supports Ethernet, 3D, 4K video, and Audio Return Channel (ARC); CL3-rated for in-wall installation
    Connects Blu-ray players, Fire TV, Apple TV, PS4, PS3, XBox one, Xbox 360, computers, and other HDMI-enabled devices to TVs, displays, A/V receivers, and more
    Cable allows you to share an Internet connection among multiple devices without the need for a separate Ethernet cable
    Meets the latest HDMI standards (4K Video at 60 Hz, 2160p, 48 bit/px colour depth) that supports bandwidth up to 18Gbps and backwards compatible with earlier versions
    Cable length: 15.2 m; backed by AmazonBasics 1-year limited warranty

Advantage of Amazon is that you can always send it back if it doesn't work.

Geoff

I'm Bob.

Yes, you're quite right and easy enough to return.

Can't really go wrong with this "Backed by an AmazonBasics lifetime warranty"

Two ordered just in case and on the way.

Thanks

I'm Ken.

What does the HDMI spec say about cable length?

It usually gives a max length that a cable (meeting the spec) will support the signal.
    I've not looked at the specs for a while, a few years back, I tried a 12m run that failed, when I checked the HDMI spec for the cable, it said max 10m in ideal conditions. People were selling terminated 30m lengths of this cable at the time, which was pointless.

Just check the relevant HDMI spec before you buy anything.

https://www.hdmi.org/

I'm Bob.

Extract from HomeTheaterHiFi:

"A passive HDMI cable maxes out at 15 to 25 feet and requires some relatively hefty copper conductors at that length—according to Monoprice, a 25-foot passive, high-speed HDMI cable uses 22 AWG conductors. By contrast, a 60-foot RedMere-equipped active cable can achieve the same performance using 28 AWG conductors."

I've played safe and have gone with Geoff's recommendation for a Redmere cable. Although I need a long run I still wanted to keep it as short as I could. If the above statement is correct then it'll be OK and I'll have cable to spare in case the route gets tricky. As I've said this is all going under the floorboards and there's nothing worse than routing it to find you're a foot short and can't meet the connection!
    Last edited by bob4333; 10-04-2018 at 07:17.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast