+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: MC Cartridge Recommendations For Technics SL1200GR

I'm Ales.

Quote Originally Posted by chris@panteg View Post
    That's what I'm thinking Dave, I've got a 33EV but it's fairly worn out, loss of sparkle but it does have a lot more body and bass weight than the OC9 MLII which sounds a bit anaemic in comparison, though still impressive in terms of tracking and detail.

I have a bit of a problem with my Marantz KI Pearl lite in that the line inputs are 20k, I want to get the puresound P10 but this will not work with a 20k input I believe.

So changes needed for me this year.
    I'm also in process buying Technics SL 1200GR. My question is about comparison of 3 affordable MC's : NOS SAE 1000LT vs new Hana SL/SH vs AT33PTGmk2. Which one of them will have more weight, body and presence on stock arm of 1200GR?

Location: Banbury, Oxfordshire/Panteg is where my late father was born

I'm Chris.

Quote Originally Posted by opt817 View Post
    I'm also in process buying Technics SL 1200GR. My question is about comparison of 3 affordable MC's : NOS SAE 1000LT vs new Hana SL/SH vs AT33PTGmk2. Which one of them will have more weight, body and presence on stock arm of 1200GR?
    I do believe that the 33PTG II would be fine, go for it.
    Chris

We've gone on holiday by mistake !

I'm Bob.

Can't comment on the Hana but I have the other two:-

SAE 1000LT:

Huge dynamic range majoring on a taught, controlled bottom end. Made by Coral in Japan circa 1970's. Maybe not the final word in top end finesse but you won't mind - you'll be too busy smiling.

AT 33 PTG II:

Not as "boogyish" as the SAE but probably a bit more refined and a bit sweeter at the top. Still with plenty of control in the bass though.

If I could have the bottom half of the SAE and the top of the 33 I think I'd be there.

Both of these cartridges offer a massive soundstage when partnered well and presence flows from that. I guess your choice depends on what you're looking for but I'd say you couldn't go wrong with either.
    Source: Orbe SE / SME IV / Cadenza Bronze
    Source: WD NAS / Cyrus Stream X2 / Chord DAVE
    Source: Oppo UDP-205 (CD/DVD-A/SACD)

Amplification: Icon Audio PS 3 Sig Phono + Audio Research LS27 + Musical Fidelity A5cr Power Amp
    Loudspeakers: ProAc Response D28
    Cables/stands: Mark Grant G1500HD + Linn K20 + Cat 5e
    Other bits: Okki Nokki keeping things clean

I'm Ales.

Quote Originally Posted by bob4333 View Post
    Can't comment on the Hana but I have the other two:-

SAE 1000LT:

Huge dynamic range majoring on a taught, controlled bottom end. Made by Coral in Japan circa 1970's. Maybe not the final word in top end finesse but you won't mind - you'll be too busy smiling.

AT 33 PTG II:

Not as "boogyish" as the SAE but probably a bit more refined and a bit sweeter at the top. Still with plenty of control in the bass though.

If I could have the bottom half of the SAE and the top of the 33 I think I'd be there.

Both of these cartridges offer a massive soundstage when partnered well and presence flows from that. I guess your choice depends on what you're looking for but I'd say you couldn't go wrong with either.
    Thanks for recommendation for SAE1000lt and AT 33 PTG II. My question is for recommending me good budget SUT (Step Up Transformer) suitable for AT 33 PTG II? SAE 1000LT is HOMC, so can go directly to MM input.

Location: Banbury, Oxfordshire/Panteg is where my late father was born

I'm Chris.

Thanks for recommendation for SAE1000lt and AT 33 PTG II. My question is for recommending me good budget SUT (Step Up Transformer) suitable for AT 33 PTG II? SAE 1000LT is HOMC, so can go directly to MM input.
    I have the Puresound T10 SUT, it works superbly well with the audio technica mc cartridges, AT33EV OC9 MLII, and will be ideal with the 33PTG II.
    Chris

We've gone on holiday by mistake !

I'm Bob.

Being a High Output MC the SAE at 2.5mV can go straight into your MM input. Mine does. Spec here: http://www.jims-sae-site.com/sae_phono.htm

The 33 is a different matter, as you rightly conclude.

You can go with a SUT or a Headamp. I've used a Rothwell Headspace Moving Coil Headamp to great effect (I still have it). http://www.rothwellaudioproducts.co....c_headamp.html

The great benefit here is that you can change the Gain and Impedance settings inside via dip switches, so you're not tied to a single cartridge. I'm not the greatest authority on SUT's but most are built with a particular set of parameters in mind and may restrict future cartridge choices.

The argument of SUT vs Headamp is well aired. You can find a lot on AOS regarding the subject using the search function.

Amplification: Icon Audio PS 3 Sig Phono + Audio Research LS27 + Musical Fidelity A5cr Power Amp

I'm Ales.

Quote Originally Posted by bob4333 View Post
    Being a High Output MC the SAE at 2.5mV can go straight into your MM input. Mine does. Spec here: http://www.jims-sae-site.com/sae_phono.htm

The 33 is a different matter, as you rightly conclude.

You can go with a SUT or a Headamp. I've used a Rothwell Headspace Moving Coil Headamp to great effect (I still have it). http://www.rothwellaudioproducts.co....c_headamp.html

The great benefit here is that you can change the Gain and Impedance settings inside via dip switches, so you're not tied to a single cartridge. I'm not the greatest authority on SUT's but most are built with a particular set of parameters in mind and may restrict future cartridge choices.

The argument of SUT vs Headamp is well aired. You can find a lot on AOS regarding the subject using the search function.
    I'm more tempted with SAE100LT or E version of MC cartridge, because of fun factor! I also have tube preamp EAR 834P, which should work well with output of 2.5mV. Price level is the same as AT PTG33 mk2, plus I don't have to buy SUT.

I'm Bob.

There are plenty of comments and reviews of the SAE on the internet and I haven't seen a bad one yet. Likewise the 33 is just as well received.

The only things I can add are that the SAE is slightly to the "warm" side of neutral so if your system is sounding coolish this will help. Likewise if you already have any concerns that things are already too warm then the 33 could be just the thing to address the condition. This is really fine tuning though and shouldn't deflect your choice.

Oh, and if you use isopropyl alcohol for stylus cleaning keep it away from the red cover on the SAE 'cause it'll shrivel and melt it (found that out the hard way). Cartridge'll still work fine though.

I'm Andrew.

Make sure you can get the 33ptg low enough as it’s only 16mm in height and the arm is from 17-23mm. Of course a thicker mat will solve this!

My System:

Turntable - Linn Sondek LP12, Kore, Lingo 4, Roksan NIMA, Lyra Delos Cartridge, Roksan HDC-03 arm lead, Trampolin 2 base, Tiger Paw Vulcan, Denon DCD-A110 Cd player, Tag Mclaren DAC20 Digital to Analogue Converter, SPM Interconnects, Nordost Red Dawn Leif Speaker cable, Spendor S3/5R2 Target R1 speaker Stands, Atacama ECO 60/40 hifi racks, Sennheiser HD565 Ovation headphones

+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123