+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Quad input board help

I'm Bob.

Default Quad input board help

Does anyone know what the four options are for this board that goes into my Quad 33 pre amp are, I know S1 is for CD or in my case my DAC, the other options are M1, M2 and C1, I seem to remember that M1 and M2 are for record decks but I got this modified board from Quad in about 1988 shortly after I got the amp from a friend and wanted to use CD's using the "Disc" input rather than Radio or Tape inputs (I like things in order).
    Attached Images Attached Images
    System a mixture of old and new.

Speakers Tannoy Cheviot, Amp Pioneer receiver but looking for something new, Source Xbox One X (For everything) via a Panasonic 65inch 4k HDR TV.

I'm Dennis.

From memory, ('91 when I sold it, M1 and M2 are for different sensitivities for vinyl cartridge O/Ps.

But you say you have a modified one, which is impossible to analyse it from that picture, and I have no knowledge of any later evolvement of the Quad boards to deal with CD. The net perhaps, or even Quad.

I'm openingabottleofwine.

The S1 side of the Disc Adaptor Board was for 'Special' inputs (pickup cartridges that were neither electrodynamic nor ceramic), and as such was unpopulated with components, but formed part of the RIAA preamp circuit.

To use a CD player with a Quad 33 you need to use either the "Radio" input with a 14dB attenuator for each channel, or directly into the "Tape" input with the Tape Adaptor Board set to "H".
    Barry

I'm inactive.

C1 is for ceramic cartridges with an output up to 80mv
    MI is for magnetic cartridges with an output up to 2mv
    M2 for magnetic cartridges with an output up to 6mv

(Source - Quad 33 manual)

S1 is a 'special' input which could be adapted for various input needs. The modification to S1 that might have been done to yours was suggested by Quad in a Tech doc No. 036 issued in 1991 titled 'Using a CD Player with the 33 Control Unit'
    - available on the VinylEngine website.

It features a resistor ladder that would provide for a line input of 300mv specifically to accomodate CD players. It is impossible to tell without a photo of the component side of your board.
    Last edited by mikmas; 08-04-2018 at 00:49.

I'm Bob.

Many thanks for that, I can't remember the exact timeframe of events, I had moved to live on a small island in 1987, the Rotel blew up fairly early on and I bought the Quad's (Luckily for me the only other person on the island into Hi-Fi had just moved up and had them spare), I had been using CD's since they first came out with a CD 101, I phoned Quad and they suggested I sent my board into them and they sent it back modified for CD, I am pretty sure this was about 1988 and have used the Disc input with a CD player ever since.

As it was a long time ago I had forgotten what the other inputs were for.

Cheers for the information.
    System a mixture of old and new.

Speakers Tannoy Cheviot, Amp Pioneer receiver but looking for something new, Source Xbox One X (For everything) via a Panasonic 65inch 4k HDR TV.

I'm inactive.

Quote Originally Posted by bobvfr View Post
    ... I phoned Quad and they suggested I sent my board into them and they sent it back modified for CD, I am pretty sure this was about 1988 ...
    Sounds like your 33 was Quad's 'guinea pig' before they went public with the mod

Incidentally, worth looking on the Dada electronics site if you haven't already. Apart from a whole load of info on Quad models and spare parts, they also have inexpensive mods that can help you make your 33 more accessible to modern gear. Most of them pretty simple to do if you can use a soldering iron (or know someone who can...)

http://www.dadaelectronics.eu

+ Reply to Thread