+ Reply to Thread
Page 12 of 25 FirstFirst ... 2101112131422 ... LastLast

Thread: Good analog and good digital converge?

I'm joe.

Quote Originally Posted by Pharos View Post
    It is generally recognised that one only needs an IQ of about 115 - 120 to get a 1st class honours degree, the rest is work.
    I've never had my IQ measured (maybe at school; we did some IQ-type tests, but if so, I can't remember/wasn't told the results). When I did my first degree, many years ago now, only two of my cohort got firsts. One was clearly a brilliant scholar, but prone to emotional ups and downs. The other was a quiet bloke (he was in my tutorial group for two years, and I don't remember him ever saying anything) who obviously just grafted away. I'm a mouthy Northerner, and quite happy to ramble on in seminars and tutorials if no-one else says anything, but I'm not so keen on hard work, which is probably why I didn't get a first.

As far as academics are concerned, as well as my degree and post-grad studies, I worked with them for 20-odd years. They, like the general population, were a very mixed bunch. Some were your typical absent-minded professor types, whose interpersonal skills were, to put it politely, limited; others were self-publicists, but most were genuinely humble about their own abilities, and saw their achievements, up to and including Nobel prizes, as very much the result of team efforts rather than their own brilliance.

I'm paul.

Quote Originally Posted by Joe View Post
    A goddamn fence-sitter.
    Now that is something I am not. I won't be drawn into this intellect/academic discussion, all I will say is that it's not difficult to study and pass exams, but having common sense is not something many of these people that think they are clever have little of.
    Bakoon 13r Denon DP80 Stax UA-70 Shure Ultra 500 in a Martin Bastin body with jico stylus, project ds2 digital Rullit aero 8 field coils in tqwt speakers

Office system, DIY CSS fullrange speakers with aurum cantus G2 ribbons yulong dac Sony STR6055 receiver Jvc QL-A51 direct drive turntable, Leema sub. JVC Z4S cart is in the house

Garage system another Sony receiver, cassette deck

System components are subject to change without warning and at the discretion of the owner.

I'm joe.

Quote Originally Posted by paulf-2007 View Post
    all I will say is that it's not difficult to study and pass exams, but having common sense is not something many of these people that think they are clever have little of.
    I think the second part of the above has too many negatives. As written, it doesn't make sense!

I'm Martin.

. I'm a mouthy Northerner, and quite happy to ramble on in seminars and tutorials if no-one else says anything, but I'm not so keen on hard work, which is probably why I didn't get a first.

That's me too. When I was an undergraduate you would always have the bulk of the people who would sit there and say nothing whilst only one or two would contribute. One time due to other factors I had not done the required reading but figured I would go along anyway, take a back seat in the discussion and let someone else take the strain for a change.

Of course the tutor was used to me having a lot to say so when she couldn't get two words out of the rest of them she turned to me for contributions. My ignorance was exposed and I got a bollocking for not doing the prep. I mean, how is that fair?
    Current Lash Up:

TEAC VRDS 701T > Sony TAE1000ESD > Krell KSA50S > JM Labs Focal Electra 926.

I'm joe.

Quote Originally Posted by Macca View Post
    That's me too. When I was an undergraduate you would always have the bulk of the people who would sit there and say nothing whilst only one or two would contribute. One time due to other factors I had not done the required reading but figured I would go along anyway, take a back seat in the discussion and let someone else take the strain for a change.

Of course the tutor was used to me having a lot to say so when she couldn't get two words out of the rest of them she turned to me for contributions. My ignorance was exposed and I got a bollocking for not doing the reading. I mean, how is that fair?
    Amazingly, almost exactly the same thing happened to me. I 'forgot' about a seminar, but the tutor nabbed me in the bar and dragged me along. The usual silence from everyone, so I started babbling away. The tutor let me carry on for a few minutes, then said 'Have you actually read this text, Joe?' to which I replied 'No, but then I wasn't intending to come to the seminar'.

I'm paul.

I think the second part of the above has too many negatives. As written, it doesn't make sense!
    Haha, I blame memory loss, I meant much of rather than little of, as you said too many negatives. Failed again
    Bakoon 13r Denon DP80 Stax UA-70 Shure Ultra 500 in a Martin Bastin body with jico stylus, project ds2 digital Rullit aero 8 field coils in tqwt speakers

Office system, DIY CSS fullrange speakers with aurum cantus G2 ribbons yulong dac Sony STR6055 receiver Jvc QL-A51 direct drive turntable, Leema sub. JVC Z4S cart is in the house

Garage system another Sony receiver, cassette deck

System components are subject to change without warning and at the discretion of the owner.

I'm Martin.

Amazingly, almost exactly the same thing happened to me. I 'forgot' about a seminar, but the tutor nabbed me in the bar and dragged me along. The usual silence from everyone, so I started babbling away. The tutor let me carry on for a few minutes, then said 'Have you actually read this text, Joe?' to which I replied 'No, but then I wasn't intending to come to the seminar'.
    Seminars were optional for us so I never bothered. Tutorial attendance were 'compulsory' but you could get away with missing about 1 in 3 without anyone being bothered.

I went to one lecture and it was a complete waste of time, just a bloke rambling for about an hour, so I never bothered after that. Academia really is money for old rope.
    Current Lash Up:

TEAC VRDS 701T > Sony TAE1000ESD > Krell KSA50S > JM Labs Focal Electra 926.

I'm Dennis.

My criticisms were a result of experience in universities.

I have worked for much of my life with graduate (and more) engineers and scientists, and found most great to get on with, and a wonderful team effort and atmosphere often prevailed in the working environment.

I'm NotTakingLifeTooSeriouslyTheseDays.

Hi All,
    Only read through some of this thread, and not sure its been mentioned but; whether digital, or Analog front end, ALL comes out Analog at the end, ie; the speaker is an analog device, and therefore; it reproduces All signal it is given in Analog, so, what ever theories one can come up with" as to what makes the diffrence between Analog, and Digital replay, just remember, you hear it all in Analog!
    "Today scientists have substituted mathematics for experiments, and they wander off through equation after equation, and eventually build a structure which has no relation to reality"
    Nikola Tesla

Its now a conspiracy theory to believe that the Immune system is capable of doing the job it was designed to do.
    A fish is only as healthy as the water its swimming in ! [Dr Robert Young]

www.tubedistinctions.co.uk

Matthew 5:10

I'm Geoff.

Stands to reason. Ears are analogue devices.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 12 of 25 FirstFirst ... 2101112131422 ... LastLast