+ Reply to Thread
Page 6 of 25 FirstFirst ... 4567816 ... LastLast

Thread: Good analog and good digital converge?

I'm joe.

Quote Originally Posted by magiccarpetride View Post
    That was below the belt. I thought we're all gentlemen here, no?
    I'm common as muck, meself.

I'm joe.

In my imaginary world of peace and happiness, there are two differences between good vinyl and good digital:

1. I can crank up the volume with vinyl to extreme levels, and it still sounds lush and pleasant. Cranking up the volume to extreme levels with digital makes me cringe a bit.

2. I can listen to vinyl for hours without any perceptible fatiguing. With digital, after an hour or so, I feel like I need to shut it down and go outside, get some fresh air.

Chew on that!
    Neither holds true for me. I tend to listen at relatively low levels anyway, but I've certainly never found digital to be any more fatiguing than vinyl.

I'm Alex.

Quote Originally Posted by Gazjam View Post
    Alex,

been reading your posts here in AOS here for a number of years...

Obviously your a human being, with family and stuff, but you always seem to be trying to figure out the “Big Questions” with regards to hifi, to the extent that you try to shut down people that talk about anything other than your own viewpoint?

Seriously, are you conducting some kind of a long term Social study on technology addiction (thinking your being cleverer than most?) or are you a genuine hifi/music lover just unhappy with his system?
    I personally have replied to a lot of your posts...lots...with what I’ve learned over 30+ years of Hifi experience and hoping to share some experience with you?

Speak up,
    Where you genuinely at Hifi wise man, I’d like to know and always happy to share but its difficult cos your repeating yourself and (no offence) but your beginning to sound like a broken record.

If so, #############################.
    I enjoy good discussion, but at the same time am not interested in reaching that plateau of fulfillment and satisfaction. Always interested in not leaving any stone unturned. I know it is upsetting to the apple cart, but I just can't help it.

I know it is not possible to disassociate intellectual enquiry from the personality traits, but I am always hopeful that in here we're discussing ideas and concepts, not personalities. Personalities bore me, and I am not interested in any ad hominem.

But if you're honestly pursuing intellectual enquiry, it is very hard to not appear flippant and as if you're taking the piss. And then people latch on you and your personality, which is a tremendous waste of time.

So in my case, I like to explore things, to continue with a playful enquiry. It may upset some people, but you can't please the world, so I'm at peace with that state of affairs.
    Last edited by walpurgis; 07-04-2018 at 17:52. Reason: Quoted abusive remarks removed
    Don't you just hate it when you cannot detect where the post ends and a signature line begins?

Alex.

I'm Gary.

I enjoy good discussion, but at the same time am not interested in reaching that plateau of fulfillment and satisfaction. Always interested in not leaving any stone unturned. I know it is upsetting to the apple cart, but I just can't help it.

I know it is not possible to disassociate intellectual enquiry from the personality traits, but I am always hopeful that in here we're discussing ideas and concepts, not personalities. Personalities bore me, and I am not interested in any ad hominem.

But if you're honestly pursuing intellectual enquiry, it is very hard to not appear flippant and as if you're taking the piss. And then people latch on you and your personality, which is a tremendous waste of time.

So in my case, I like to explore things, to continue with a playful enquiry. It may upset some people, but you can't please the world, so I'm at peace with that state of affairs.
    Playfuls a good word, like and respect that.
    Thanks for the explaination Alex, you didn’t need to give it but my understanding is better now that you have.

In this Game for some time now, but always happy to contribute and learn.
    Last edited by Gazjam; 07-04-2018 at 19:41.
    AC POWER
    Hardwired 10kVA balanced mains powering entire system
    AMPS
    Meridian 557 power Amp (Modded) / PS Audio BHK Preamp (Modded)
    SPEAKERS
    Wharfedale Evo 4.4
    DAC
    PS Audio Directstream (Modded)
    TURNTABLE
    Pro-Ject X8 balanced output via XLR / Ortofon Quintet Blue cartridge
    PHONOSTAGE
    Pro-Ject DS3 B balanced Input (TT and Phonostage powered by Pro-Ject Power box RS2 linear psu)
    DIGITAL
    OPPO 203 (Modded: Linear PSU, i2s output to Dac) - Roon Endpoint, HDMI input used for all things Streaming/ PS5 /AppleTV ... also good for movies apparently?
    MUSIC PLAYBACK
    Tweaked AP-Linux based Roon Server into Oppo 203 as Roon endpoint
    Ipad Roon Remote.
    Apple Music/ YouTube via AppleTV, fed to Dac via Oppo HDMI input/i2s output to Dac.
    SPEAKER CABLES
    Biwired: Duelund DCA10GA (Bass) Duelund DCA16GA (mid & treble) Duelund 12DCA used as jumpers (On
    "Blackcat Cable" Chris Sommivigo's advice - yup, even with biwire it sounds better - and it does)
    INTERCONNECTS
    All Balanced: Ghost+ recording studio XLR cables

I'm Alex.

Quote Originally Posted by Gazjam View Post
    Playfuls a good word, like and respect that.
    Thanks for the explaination Alex, you didn’t need to give it but my understanding is better now that you have.

In this Game for some time now, but always happy to learn.
    You've always been an awesome partner in crime, I'm sorry if I've given you the wrong whiff of trying to mess with anyone here. Chalk it up to my insatiable curiosity, which can get super annoying -- just ask my friends and colleagues
    Don't you just hate it when you cannot detect where the post ends and a signature line begins?

Alex.

I'm Gary.

You've always been an awesome partner in crime, I'm sorry if I've given you the wrong whiff of trying to mess with anyone here. Chalk it up to my insatiable curiosity, which can get super annoying -- just ask my friends and colleagues
    Awesome.
    Now I understand (not that THAT matters) dont ever change...

Always good have a strong voice coming from good intentions.
    AC POWER
    Hardwired 10kVA balanced mains powering entire system
    AMPS
    Meridian 557 power Amp (Modded) / PS Audio BHK Preamp (Modded)
    SPEAKERS
    Wharfedale Evo 4.4
    DAC
    PS Audio Directstream (Modded)
    TURNTABLE
    Pro-Ject X8 balanced output via XLR / Ortofon Quintet Blue cartridge
    PHONOSTAGE
    Pro-Ject DS3 B balanced Input (TT and Phonostage powered by Pro-Ject Power box RS2 linear psu)
    DIGITAL
    OPPO 203 (Modded: Linear PSU, i2s output to Dac) - Roon Endpoint, HDMI input used for all things Streaming/ PS5 /AppleTV ... also good for movies apparently?
    MUSIC PLAYBACK
    Tweaked AP-Linux based Roon Server into Oppo 203 as Roon endpoint
    Ipad Roon Remote.
    Apple Music/ YouTube via AppleTV, fed to Dac via Oppo HDMI input/i2s output to Dac.
    SPEAKER CABLES
    Biwired: Duelund DCA10GA (Bass) Duelund DCA16GA (mid & treble) Duelund 12DCA used as jumpers (On
    "Blackcat Cable" Chris Sommivigo's advice - yup, even with biwire it sounds better - and it does)
    INTERCONNECTS
    All Balanced: Ghost+ recording studio XLR cables

I'm Dennis.

I don't see how intellectual enquiry can be ruled out of this pursuit, or even general life itself, and we really need it with what is being extolled in the media currently.

This pursuit necessitates it in several areas; science, engineering, biology, sociology, and psychology, which inevitably involving personality traits.

We all have 'erroneous zones', (psychological foibles), and in life run the risk of these being exposed in our interaction with others. This is a part of everyday life and we must learn to deal with it, and use error detection to improve ourselves.

But deliberate ad hominem should be illegal IMO, as also should pissing contests.

I'm Alex.

Quote Originally Posted by Pharos View Post
    I don't see how intellectual enquiry can be ruled out of this pursuit, or even general life itself, and we really need it with what is being extolled in the media currently.

This pursuit necessitates it in several areas; science, engineering, biology, sociology, and psychology, which inevitably involving personality traits.

We all have 'erroneous zones', (psychological foibles), and in life run the risk of these being exposed in our interaction with others. This is a part of everyday life and we must learn to deal with it, and use error detection to improve ourselves.

But deliberate ad hominem should be illegal IMO, as also should pissing contests.
    Good point. Disruptive behaviour is rude, but sometimes necessary in order to dismiss with prescribed ways of thinking. Anyone not following prescribed ways is always deemed inappropriate, often times dangerous and unwanted. But I for one don't see any advantage in following prescribed ways. Those ways are certainly not being prescribed in order to make things better for me personally. Those prescribed ways are always and invariably attempts to establish control and to rule by the terror of majority (or consensus).

I say screw that!

Alex.

I'm Martin.

Good point. Disruptive behaviour is rude, but sometimes necessary in order to dismiss with prescribed ways of thinking. Anyone not following prescribed ways is always deemed inappropriate, often times dangerous and unwanted. But I for one don't see any advantage in following prescribed ways. Those ways are certainly not being prescribed in order to make things better for me personally. Those prescribed ways are always and invariably attempts to establish control and to rule by the terror of majority (or consensus).

I say screw that!
    Damn straight! And there's nothing wrong with the occasional pissing contest providing it is all in good fun. Why are people so over-sensitive these days? The feminisation of society?
    Current Lash Up:

TEAC VRDS 701T > Sony TAE1000ESD > Krell KSA50S > JM Labs Focal Electra 926.

I'm Dennis.

I don't see disruptive behaviour as always intrinsically rude, it may well save many people much trouble by showing them errors in their thinking. I also do not see sensitivity as a specifically feminine trait; I am sensitive, but also strong I believe, the two are not mutually exclusive.

Surely sensitivity is awareness of ever subtler or finer inputs, and that is a prerequisite for greater depth of analysis.

We need hereticism more than ever IMO with large powerful bodies steamrolling out their agendas with little concern for those who buy them, much of it based on 'Fake Truths'.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 6 of 25 FirstFirst ... 4567816 ... LastLast