+ Reply to Thread
Page 21 of 25 FirstFirst ... 111920212223 ... LastLast

Thread: Good analog and good digital converge?

I'm NotTakingLifeTooSeriouslyTheseDays.

But thats just it, it used to be well accepted that if you analyse a sign wave' which was originaly derived from a digital source" that one would be able to see a step formation withing the trace of the analogue signal, this has long since been found to be a myth, but I understand where your coming from as far as the digital side is concerned.
    Quote Originally Posted by Bigman80 View Post
    How very interesting. I seriously think it's all about the missing bits in the waveform that the digital "guesses' at.
    "Today scientists have substituted mathematics for experiments, and they wander off through equation after equation, and eventually build a structure which has no relation to reality"
    Nikola Tesla

Its now a conspiracy theory to believe that the Immune system is capable of doing the job it was designed to do.
    A fish is only as healthy as the water its swimming in ! [Dr Robert Young]

www.tubedistinctions.co.uk

Matthew 5:10

Bigman80 Guest

Quote Originally Posted by anthonyTD View Post
    But thats just it, it used to be well accepted that if you analyse a sign wave' which was originaly derived from a digital source" that one would be able to see a step formation withing the trace of the analogue signal, this has long since been found to be a myth, but I understand where your coming from as far as the digital side is concerned.
    Don't get me wrong, the improvements I have made here, make digital sources quite enjoyable but when the Vinyl goes on, it's like another level entirely. I've approached digital with the mentality of just trying to enjoy what it does and that's give me access to a really large library of music. If I like something I hear, I'll buy it on vinyl.

I'm NotTakingLifeTooSeriouslyTheseDays.

I have had many diffrent CD players in my system over the years, and the one that I always come back to as my main player is from 1989, at the time it was classed as the first Hi end CD player, IMHO Still very hard to beat today, it just seems to me that although the technical side of digital has vastly improved, it has been at the expense of musicality!
    Don't get me wrong, the improvements I have made here, make digital sources quite enjoyable but when the Vinyl goes on, it's like another level entirely. I've approached digital with the mentality of just trying to enjoy what it does and that's give me access to a really large library of music. If I like something I hear, I'll buy it on vinyl.
    "Today scientists have substituted mathematics for experiments, and they wander off through equation after equation, and eventually build a structure which has no relation to reality"
    Nikola Tesla

Its now a conspiracy theory to believe that the Immune system is capable of doing the job it was designed to do.
    A fish is only as healthy as the water its swimming in ! [Dr Robert Young]

www.tubedistinctions.co.uk

Matthew 5:10

I'm Grant.

Quote Originally Posted by anthonyTD View Post
    I have had many diffrent CD players in my system over the years, and the one that I always come back to as my main player is from 1989, at the time it was classed as the first Hi end CD player, IMHO Still very hard to beat today, it just seems to me that although the technical side of digital has vastly improved, it has been at the expense of musicality!
    is it a secret?
    Regards,
    Grant .... ؠ ......Don't be such a big girl's blouse

I've said it before and I'll say it again: democracy simply-doesn't-work
    .... ..... ...... ...... ................... ..... ..... ..... ..... .....
    FIIO K7 BT, M11 PLUS, BTR7, KA5 - OPPO BDP-103D - PANASONIC UB450 - PANASONIC 4K ULTRA HD TV - PIXEL 6 - AVANTREE LR BLUETOOTH - 2* X600 SOUNDCORE - HEADPHONES INCLUDE, FIIO, NURAPHONES', FOCAL, OPPO, BOSE, CAMBRIDGE, BOWER & WILKINS, DEVIALET, MARSHALL, SONY, MITCHELL & JOHNSTON - 2*ZBOOK'S- MERCURY BD ROM, ROON, QOBUZ, TIDAL, PLEX, CYBERLINK, JRIVER - MULTI HDD'S -

Oh my god! There's nothing wrong with the bidet is there?

“Nothing discloses real character like the use of power. It is easy for the weak to be gentle. Most people can bear adversity. But if you wish to know what a man really is, give him power. This is the supreme test. It is the glory of Lincoln that, having almost absolute power, he never abused it, except on the side of mercy".

“You see these dictators on their pedestals, surrounded by the bayonets of their soldiers and the truncheons of their police ... yet in their hearts there is unspoken fear. They are afraid of words and thoughts: words spoken abroad, thoughts stirring at home -- all the more powerful because forbidden -- terrify them. A little mouse of thought appears in the room, and even the mightiest potentates are thrown into panic.”

"You don't have free will. You have the appearance of free will.”

“There's a war out there, old friend. A world war. And it's not about who's got the most bullets. It's about who controls the information. What we see and hear, how we work, what we think... it's all about the information!”

***SMILE, BE HAPPY***

I'm gone.

How very interesting. I seriously think it's all about the missing bits in the waveform that the digital "guesses' at.
    There is nothing missing.
    Digitally recorded waveforms are mathematically identical to the original analog waveform.
    No ifs or buts, I'm afraid, that is how the physics works.
    Any differences with analog playback are down to analog playback distortions.
    Sorry, but mathematically that is just the way it is. Digital sampling is an exact and precisely defined science.
    Any "improvements" in analog are distortions.

I'm Clive.

Do all DACs sound the same?
    TT 1 Trans-Fi Salvation with magnetic bearing + Trans-Fi Terminator T3Pro + London Reference
    TT 2 Garrard 301 with NWA main bearing + Audiomods Series Six 10.5" + Ortofon 2M Mono SE
    Digital Lindemann Bridge + Gustard R26 with LB external clock
    Pre and Power Amp EWA M40P + M40A
    Bass Amp & DSP Behringer iNuke NU3000DSP x 2
    Speakers 1 Bastanis Sagarmatha Duo with twin baffleless 15" bass drivers per side
    Speakers 2 MarkaudioSota Viotti Tower

Bigman80 Guest

Quote Originally Posted by jandl100 View Post
    There is nothing missing.
    Digitally recorded waveforms are mathematically identical to the original analog waveform.
    No ifs or buts, I'm afraid, that is how the physics works.
    Any differences with analog playback are down to analog playback distortions.
    Sorry, but mathematically that is just the way it is. Digital sampling is an exact and precisely defined science.
    Any "improvements" in analog are distortions.
    Mathematicians don't make music. If there's nothing missing, why have higher bitrates? I'm not being antagonistic, I just don't know why there would be a need for more bits if there was nothing wrong with lower bitrates.

Bigman80 Guest

Quote Originally Posted by RothwellAudio View Post
    Don't they? Brian May has knocked out a few tunes
    (Ok, an astronomer, but there's a lot of maths in it.)
    Lol, there are mathematician/musicians of course but you don't find many in the recording studio, mixing artists material.

I'm Clive.

Quote Originally Posted by RothwellAudio View Post
    That's an interesting point which brings up a subject rarely mentioned in discussions: that distortion in digital systems increases with decreasing signal level, which is the exact opposite of analogue electronics. A sine wave at full output which uses all 16 bits of a 16 bit digital system might show no distortion or steps, but a sine wave 60dB or more lower would have nowhere near the same resolution.
    Which possibly explains digital's poorer ambience and soundstage depth.
    TT 1 Trans-Fi Salvation with magnetic bearing + Trans-Fi Terminator T3Pro + London Reference
    TT 2 Garrard 301 with NWA main bearing + Audiomods Series Six 10.5" + Ortofon 2M Mono SE
    Digital Lindemann Bridge + Gustard R26 with LB external clock
    Pre and Power Amp EWA M40P + M40A
    Bass Amp & DSP Behringer iNuke NU3000DSP x 2
    Speakers 1 Bastanis Sagarmatha Duo with twin baffleless 15" bass drivers per side
    Speakers 2 MarkaudioSota Viotti Tower

Bigman80 Guest

So, I'm sitting here playing Tango in the Night - Fleetwood Mac in 96/??? (Christ knows what it is) and compared to the CD, it absolutely shits on it. Deeper, wider and way easier to listen to. This is nearer to the fluidity of vinyl as far as I'm concerned

Can someone explain why ?

+ Reply to Thread
Page 21 of 25 FirstFirst ... 111920212223 ... LastLast