+ Reply to Thread
Page 5 of 25 FirstFirst ... 3456715 ... LastLast

Thread: Good analog and good digital converge?

I'm joe.

I never was that hung up on the differences in sound quality between analogue and digital. I certainly didn't go down the 'sell your turntable and all your LPs' route, and used both formats about equally. However, these days I listen mostly to classical music, where the limitations of analogue in terms of surface noise, getting up to change sides every 20 or so minutes etc, are more apparent. This means that the turntable doesn't get much of a look-in unless I feel nostalgic.

I'm James.

Quote Originally Posted by Joe View Post
    I never was that hung up on the differences in sound quality between analogue and digital. I certainly didn't go down the 'sell your turntable and all your LPs' route, and used both formats about equally. However, these days I listen mostly to classical music, where the limitations of analogue in terms of surface noise, getting up to change sides every 20 or so minutes etc, are more apparent. This means that the turntable doesn't get much of a look-in unless I feel nostalgic.
    I think the lower noise floor and lack of vinyl surface noise certainly makes digital more appealing for classical music and the fact most new classical music is released either as a download or CD. Not much makes its way to vinyl.

I'm Alan.

Quote Originally Posted by Gazjam View Post
    Great post James,
    I agree, theres some magic in digital recordings that modern Dacs like the Dave can reveal.
    Listen to the same recording on different dacs and they can sound very different.

Different ways to do it of course,
    Different dac chips, different implimentations and design philospphies.
    My own Dac converts everything you plug into it to 10x DSD, then lowpass filters that through an output transformer, not a traditional analogue output stage.

DCS, Berkley systems, Bricasti and others all have different approaches to digital, so I dont really believe in the classic ‘one or the other’ vinyl vs digital argument anymore, I can enjoy both whist them not being the same.

And why not?
    I'm in agreement here. The important thing with analogue re-construction is not screwing the phase relationships, essentially use gentle filters, however they are implemented. The Bel Canto is in that camp.

With vinyl the best I have heard is direct to disc recording, no tape, ADC or DAC. utterly sublime. James you are in for a treat
    I love Hendrix for so many reasons. He was so much more than just a blues guitarist - he played damn well any kind of guitar he wanted. In fact I'm not sure if he even played the guitar - he played music. - Stevie Ray Vaughan

I'm paul.

Quote Originally Posted by Macca View Post
    No, that's exactly what I found going from a Nagaoka MP11 to an MP50 (which is arguably the best MM cart you can buy). Less euphoric, more like digital. To an extent, the baby went out with the bathwater.

I had a listen to Marco's SL1200 when he had some fancy Ortofon MC on it and that was the same. So close to his CD player in character it was uncanny. I didn't see the point. When he changed it to a fancy Denon, then you could hear why vinyl is worth the bother.
    When I said my vinyl and digital were much the same, people were saying my vinyl set up wasn't all that good. Well up yours to those people, my vinyl set up is the dogs danglies
    Bakoon 13r Denon DP80 Stax UA-70 Shure Ultra 500 in a Martin Bastin body with jico stylus, project ds2 digital Rullit aero 8 field coils in tqwt speakers

Office system, DIY CSS fullrange speakers with aurum cantus G2 ribbons yulong dac Sony STR6055 receiver Jvc QL-A51 direct drive turntable, Leema sub. JVC Z4S cart is in the house

Garage system another Sony receiver, cassette deck

System components are subject to change without warning and at the discretion of the owner.

I'm paul.

Quote Originally Posted by Macca View Post
    But when the vinyl is cut it goes through a digital/analogue convertor? And if the recording was made on a digital recorder to begin with? The analohue purity is ruined before it even gets to you.

Now if we talk recordings and records cut completely pre digital (and even pre-solid state) then yes, I agree they have something a 'perfect' digital recording does not have. But we are well into the realms of subjectivism and in operational terms, multiple possibilities of cause there. Maybe that is the proof of the analogue purity theory. I'm guessing not, I may be wrong.

But if you want to be truly purist analogue it is reel to reel you want, not vinyl
    reel to reel is the best I've ever heard but too late for me to get into.
    Bakoon 13r Denon DP80 Stax UA-70 Shure Ultra 500 in a Martin Bastin body with jico stylus, project ds2 digital Rullit aero 8 field coils in tqwt speakers

Office system, DIY CSS fullrange speakers with aurum cantus G2 ribbons yulong dac Sony STR6055 receiver Jvc QL-A51 direct drive turntable, Leema sub. JVC Z4S cart is in the house

Garage system another Sony receiver, cassette deck

System components are subject to change without warning and at the discretion of the owner.

I'm Gary.

I fell for the hype when CD hit in the 80s and sold all mine, record player and all.
    (Ok, I officially feel old now...)

My second stab at vinyl is one Im glad I made, happily I’ve got all the recordings THAT ACTUALLY MATTERED* back again.

* And thats just the thing, isn’t it?

Ask yourself...Why do these things from your past take on the importance they do?

For me...
    understanding that it’s just your brain making a connection with something that made you feel good 20 odd years ago... is the key to wisdom Grasshopper...

Taking stock of the good stuff thats around you right now is a good thing, and led me to embrace Tidal and Spotify.
    Digitals not a bad word folks, the musics the important bit.

Happily enjoying vinyl AND digital in my system... feel lucky and it’s all good.
    Last edited by Gazjam; 07-04-2018 at 15:52.
    AC POWER
    Hardwired 10kVA balanced mains powering entire system
    AMPS
    Meridian 557 power Amp (Modded) / PS Audio BHK Preamp (Modded)
    SPEAKERS
    Wharfedale Evo 4.4
    DAC
    PS Audio Directstream (Modded)
    TURNTABLE
    Pro-Ject X8 balanced output via XLR / Ortofon Quintet Blue cartridge
    PHONOSTAGE
    Pro-Ject DS3 B balanced Input (TT and Phonostage powered by Pro-Ject Power box RS2 linear psu)
    DIGITAL
    OPPO 203 (Modded: Linear PSU, i2s output to Dac) - Roon Endpoint, HDMI input used for all things Streaming/ PS5 /AppleTV ... also good for movies apparently?
    MUSIC PLAYBACK
    Tweaked AP-Linux based Roon Server into Oppo 203 as Roon endpoint
    Ipad Roon Remote.
    Apple Music/ YouTube via AppleTV, fed to Dac via Oppo HDMI input/i2s output to Dac.
    SPEAKER CABLES
    Biwired: Duelund DCA10GA (Bass) Duelund DCA16GA (mid & treble) Duelund 12DCA used as jumpers (On
    "Blackcat Cable" Chris Sommivigo's advice - yup, even with biwire it sounds better - and it does)
    INTERCONNECTS
    All Balanced: Ghost+ recording studio XLR cables

I'm Alex.

Quote Originally Posted by Clive View Post
    Alex, if you had all those dollars you could have paid for the therapy.
    That was below the belt. I thought we're all gentlemen here, no?
    Don't you just hate it when you cannot detect where the post ends and a signature line begins?

Alex.

I'm Alex.

In my imaginary world of peace and happiness, there are two differences between good vinyl and good digital:

1. I can crank up the volume with vinyl to extreme levels, and it still sounds lush and pleasant. Cranking up the volume to extreme levels with digital makes me cringe a bit.

2. I can listen to vinyl for hours without any perceptible fatiguing. With digital, after an hour or so, I feel like I need to shut it down and go outside, get some fresh air.

Chew on that!
    Don't you just hate it when you cannot detect where the post ends and a signature line begins?

Alex.

I'm Clive.

Quote Originally Posted by magiccarpetride View Post
    Oh I thought you would be self-aware about the affliction.
    TT 1 Trans-Fi Salvation with magnetic bearing + Trans-Fi Terminator T3Pro + London Reference
    TT 2 Garrard 301 with NWA main bearing + Audiomods Series Six 10.5" + Ortofon 2M Mono SE
    Digital Lindemann Bridge + Gustard R26 with LB external clock
    Pre and Power Amp EWA M40P + M40A
    Bass Amp & DSP Behringer iNuke NU3000DSP x 2
    Speakers 1 Bastanis Sagarmatha Duo with twin baffleless 15" bass drivers per side
    Speakers 2 MarkaudioSota Viotti Tower

I'm Gary.

Quote Originally Posted by magiccarpetride View Post
    Alex,

been reading your posts here in AOS here for a number of years...

Obviously your a human being, with family and stuff, but you always seem to be trying to figure out the “Big Questions” with regards to hifi, to the extent that you try to shut down people that talk about anything other than your own viewpoint?

Seriously, are you conducting some kind of a long term Social study on technology addiction (thinking your being cleverer than most?) or are you a genuine hifi/music lover just unhappy with his system?
    I personally have replied to a lot of your posts...lots...with what I’ve learned over 30+ years of Hifi experience and hoping to share some experience with you?

Speak up,
    Where you genuinely at Hifi wise man, I’d like to know and always happy to share but its difficult cos your repeating yourself and (no offence) but your beginning to sound like a broken record.
    Last edited by walpurgis; 07-04-2018 at 17:51. Reason: Abusive remarks removed)
    AC POWER
    Hardwired 10kVA balanced mains powering entire system
    AMPS
    Meridian 557 power Amp (Modded) / PS Audio BHK Preamp (Modded)
    SPEAKERS
    Wharfedale Evo 4.4
    DAC
    PS Audio Directstream (Modded)
    TURNTABLE
    Pro-Ject X8 balanced output via XLR / Ortofon Quintet Blue cartridge
    PHONOSTAGE
    Pro-Ject DS3 B balanced Input (TT and Phonostage powered by Pro-Ject Power box RS2 linear psu)
    DIGITAL
    OPPO 203 (Modded: Linear PSU, i2s output to Dac) - Roon Endpoint, HDMI input used for all things Streaming/ PS5 /AppleTV ... also good for movies apparently?
    MUSIC PLAYBACK
    Tweaked AP-Linux based Roon Server into Oppo 203 as Roon endpoint
    Ipad Roon Remote.
    Apple Music/ YouTube via AppleTV, fed to Dac via Oppo HDMI input/i2s output to Dac.
    SPEAKER CABLES
    Biwired: Duelund DCA10GA (Bass) Duelund DCA16GA (mid & treble) Duelund 12DCA used as jumpers (On
    "Blackcat Cable" Chris Sommivigo's advice - yup, even with biwire it sounds better - and it does)
    INTERCONNECTS
    All Balanced: Ghost+ recording studio XLR cables

+ Reply to Thread
Page 5 of 25 FirstFirst ... 3456715 ... LastLast