+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 25 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast

Thread: Good analog and good digital converge?

I'm James.

Martin I think your theory of what makes analogue music sound pleasant is just your theory. The elephant In the room you always ignore is simply analogue music sounds better because the ear has evolved to listen this way and not to reconstructed mathematical square waves.

I'm Clive.

My main vinyl setup does not sound that different to good digital. Where digital tends to striggle is around stage depth. I don't have the vinyl euphony that some speak of. I'm sure such euphony exists but it is a feature of kit with poorly controlled resonances. Ultimately the best of digital and the best of vinyl converge.

Characterising vinyl as euphonic is like saying valve amps sound warm and cuddly. It can be the case but needn't be and often isn't.
    TT 1 Trans-Fi Salvation with magnetic bearing + Trans-Fi Terminator T3Pro + London Reference
    TT 2 Garrard 301 with NWA main bearing + Audiomods Series Six 10.5" + Ortofon 2M Mono SE
    Digital Lindemann Bridge + Gustard R26 with LB external clock
    Pre and Power Amp EWA M40P + M40A
    Bass Amp & DSP Behringer iNuke NU3000DSP x 2
    Speakers 1 Bastanis Sagarmatha Duo with twin baffleless 15" bass drivers per side
    Speakers 2 MarkaudioSota Viotti Tower

montesquieu Guest

What is this 1985? People still stunned by how clean and modern that new Dire Straits album sounds in the hifi shop? Why can't I get my mouldy old Garrard SP25 to sound like that? Give me one of those Compact Disk players right away!

Anyway ....

Some really good points above. I have a system in my study that basically replicates that speakers-up-on-top-of-bookcases (because there was no room for fancy stands), emotionally satisfying but far from hifi vinyl sound I had in my bedroom (I had to fit my piano and my guitars in there, as well as somewhere to sit and write essays longhand) back in the early 80s. The psycho-acoustic effect related to memory is powerful - I can hardly listen to Bowie or Dylan or Neil Young on my main system, it sounds totally wrong to hear all that stuff going on in the studio. But with badly spaced speakers and a basic cartridge, it delivers emotionally what it (for me) is supposed to, and takes me back to the past as reliably as Proust's madeleines.

On the other hand I also agree that the better a vinyl system, gets the closer it comes to fixing the things CD was supposed to fix (pops, clicks, groove hiss, mistracking and so on). But there is still a divergence. Vinyl still does something that sounds better to my ears at least (if not to an oscilloscope). And both are a very difficult to take to the ultimate and I guess what the ultimate is is not something objective by any stretch.

I was doing some thinking lately about digital and analogue and it seemed to me that in a lot of ways, DAC choice is like choosing a cartridge - you go for your preferences, which are often unconscious and certainly generally un-articulated: whatever your preferences - tipped up treble to hear those cymbals, explosive bass, a pipe and slippers, laid back presentation, ultra detail, instruments forward in the mix - you pick one that combines what you like, even possibly one tailored to the musical genres you like. (And I don't think this has that much to do with DAC chips and what happens in the digital domain, it seems clear to me from my experience that the crucial element in a DAC's sound is the output stage).

If that's the case then certainly wouldn't be beyond the powers of the unconscious mind (let alone the conscious one) for a hifi nut to be working towards convergence in sound between their digital and their analogue source components - indeed there's even benefit in having similar gain levels. It stands to reason that if you ended up with vinyl and digital that sounded different, then one of them would clearly be deemed to be 'wrong'! And so we are back at psycho-acoustics.

I'm James.

I agree with the premis that the best digital and the best vinyl do converge although they are still different.

Even though I am obviously a massive vinyl fan I do concede that I have heard digital do things even the best vinyl cannot achieve. In fact I would say if the progress I have heard with digital goes any further we are entering an acoustic experience unlike anything I have heard before. Give digital development another 10 years and it will sound remarkable and vinyl will sound limited by its technical parameters.

I'm Gary.

Quote Originally Posted by magiccarpetride View Post
    I am using Logitech Squeezebox Touch for digital. Compared to Systemdek with Jelco 750E 10" tonearm/Ortofon OM20/iFi Micro iPhono combo, Squeezebox Touch sounds nearly identical.

Go figure...
    As fantastic the Touch is (absolutly loved mine at the time)..theres your problem. You can do better.
    Digital in my ‘second’ system is a Logitech Transporter...and it’s WAY better than the Touch.
    My first foray into streaming was a Slimserver branded SB3 and so, so happy for the Journey. (Look over the old squeezebox forums, I was there back in the Day)
    Transporters as good as it gets to 24/96...but things move on.

For the record, I have a pretty decent vinyl system and its as good as my digital...just presented in a different way.
    I enjoy both.

Alex,
    Been seeing your posts for a number of years now...you’ve still not sorted your stuff out yet...I’m surprised man?
    Last edited by Gazjam; 06-04-2018 at 20:53.
    AC POWER
    Hardwired 10kVA balanced mains powering entire system
    AMPS
    Meridian 557 power Amp (Modded) / PS Audio BHK Preamp (Modded)
    SPEAKERS
    Wharfedale Evo 4.4
    DAC
    PS Audio Directstream (Modded)
    TURNTABLE
    Pro-Ject X8 balanced output via XLR / Ortofon Quintet Blue cartridge
    PHONOSTAGE
    Pro-Ject DS3 B balanced Input (TT and Phonostage powered by Pro-Ject Power box RS2 linear psu)
    DIGITAL
    OPPO 203 (Modded: Linear PSU, i2s output to Dac) - Roon Endpoint, HDMI input used for all things Streaming/ PS5 /AppleTV ... also good for movies apparently?
    MUSIC PLAYBACK
    Tweaked AP-Linux based Roon Server into Oppo 203 as Roon endpoint
    Ipad Roon Remote.
    Apple Music/ YouTube via AppleTV, fed to Dac via Oppo HDMI input/i2s output to Dac.
    SPEAKER CABLES
    Biwired: Duelund DCA10GA (Bass) Duelund DCA16GA (mid & treble) Duelund 12DCA used as jumpers (On
    "Blackcat Cable" Chris Sommivigo's advice - yup, even with biwire it sounds better - and it does)
    INTERCONNECTS
    All Balanced: Ghost+ recording studio XLR cables

I'm Grant.

You relegated the transporter? I'm surprised
    Regards,
    Grant .... ؠ ......Don't be such a big girl's blouse

I've said it before and I'll say it again: democracy simply-doesn't-work
    .... ..... ...... ...... ................... ..... ..... ..... ..... .....
    FIIO K7 BT, M11 PLUS, BTR7, KA5 - OPPO BDP-103D - PANASONIC UB450 - PANASONIC 4K ULTRA HD TV - PIXEL 6 - AVANTREE LR BLUETOOTH - 2* X600 SOUNDCORE - HEADPHONES INCLUDE, FIIO, NURAPHONES', FOCAL, OPPO, BOSE, CAMBRIDGE, BOWER & WILKINS, DEVIALET, MARSHALL, SONY, MITCHELL & JOHNSTON - 2*ZBOOK'S- MERCURY BD ROM, ROON, QOBUZ, TIDAL, PLEX, CYBERLINK, JRIVER - MULTI HDD'S -

Oh my god! There's nothing wrong with the bidet is there?

“Nothing discloses real character like the use of power. It is easy for the weak to be gentle. Most people can bear adversity. But if you wish to know what a man really is, give him power. This is the supreme test. It is the glory of Lincoln that, having almost absolute power, he never abused it, except on the side of mercy".

“You see these dictators on their pedestals, surrounded by the bayonets of their soldiers and the truncheons of their police ... yet in their hearts there is unspoken fear. They are afraid of words and thoughts: words spoken abroad, thoughts stirring at home -- all the more powerful because forbidden -- terrify them. A little mouse of thought appears in the room, and even the mightiest potentates are thrown into panic.”

"You don't have free will. You have the appearance of free will.”

“There's a war out there, old friend. A world war. And it's not about who's got the most bullets. It's about who controls the information. What we see and hear, how we work, what we think... it's all about the information!”

***SMILE, BE HAPPY***

I'm Alex.

Quote Originally Posted by Gazjam View Post
    As fantastic the Touch is (absolutly loved mine at the time)..theres your problem. You can do better.
    Digital in my ‘second’ system is a Logitech Transporter...first foray into streaming was a Slimserver branded SB3 and so, so happy for the Journey. (Look over the old squeezebox forums, I was there back in the Day)
    Transporters as good as it gets to 24/96...but things move on.

For the record, I have a pretty decent vinyl system and its as good as my digital...just presented in a different way.
    I enjoy both.

Alex,
    Been seeing your posts for a number if years now...you’ve still not sorted your stuff out yet...surprised man.
    Show me a person who is firmly convinced that they've sorted their stuff, and I'll show you a charlatan.
    Don't you just hate it when you cannot detect where the post ends and a signature line begins?

Alex.

I'm Geoff.

I must be a charlatan then!

I'm Gary.

Quote Originally Posted by magiccarpetride View Post
    Show me a person who is firmly convinced that they've sorted their stuff, and I'll show you a charlatan.
    No...not so much.
    Wasn’t being confrontstional, but some of us music lovers have actually got there?
    AC POWER
    AMPS
    SPEAKERS
    Wharfedale Evo 4.4
    DAC
    TURNTABLE
    PHONOSTAGE
    Pro-Ject DS3 B balanced Input (TT and Phonostage powered by Pro-Ject Power box RS2 linear psu)
    DIGITAL
    OPPO 203 (Modded: Linear PSU, i2s output to Dac) - Roon Endpoint, HDMI input used for all things Streaming/ PS5 /AppleTV ... also good for movies apparently?
    MUSIC PLAYBACK
    Ipad Roon Remote.
    Apple Music/ YouTube via AppleTV, fed to Dac via Oppo HDMI input/i2s output to Dac.
    SPEAKER CABLES
    Biwired: Duelund DCA10GA (Bass) Duelund DCA16GA (mid & treble) Duelund 12DCA used as jumpers (On
    "Blackcat Cable" Chris Sommivigo's advice - yup, even with biwire it sounds better - and it does)
    INTERCONNECTS

I'm Gary.

Quote Originally Posted by struth View Post
    You relegated the transporter? I'm surprised
    The new Dac running as a Roon endpoint blows it into the weeds Grant.
    AC POWER
    AMPS
    SPEAKERS
    Wharfedale Evo 4.4
    DAC
    TURNTABLE
    PHONOSTAGE
    DIGITAL
    MUSIC PLAYBACK
    Ipad Roon Remote.
    SPEAKER CABLES
    INTERCONNECTS

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 25 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast