+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Technics SL 1200 G & 1200 GR

I'm Julian.

Default Technics SL 1200 G & 1200 GR

Any user/tryer have experience of the strengths and or weaknesses of either of these, head to head comparisons, any suggested tweaks such as mats/head shells etc., in fact any info you think pertinent to a possible purchaser. Your assessment of either or both tables would be gratefully received.

We are contemplating downsizing and I am thinking of having a one TT solution for everything from 78s to LPs. (old age creeping in)

In an ideal world I would go for an SME10 with a M2-9R but the price is too steep for the bank manager’s liking let alone getting it past SWMBO. If I could get a good used one with the up to date 3 speed controller then it might become a possibility.

Anyone any ides on SME 10 vs 1200 G?

All thoughts are relevant.

Rest of Kit:

Quad 66 & 606, Graham Slee Jazz Club/ Cambridge 640P ( may get Slee Elevator) Kef 1042s.

Thanks
    Julian.

I'm Hugo.

Hi Julian

I have not personally heard the SL-1200G, although I have customers that own them, but I do use a GR here and it's very impressive. The G/GAE and GR share the same motor topology and drive circuitry, except the GR has a single rotor and the G/GAE have twin rotors. The GR's one rotor provides enough torque to almost strip skin off your fingers when pressed against the platter edge, and it's noteworthy that when Noel Keywood tested the GR, its measured speed stability actually bettered the G/GAE's, so I'm not convinced that the G's more elaborate motor is justified in the real world. The G/GAE do have a nice machined alloy top plate, but the GR's cheaper cast top plate is nicely made and according to my spirit levels, completely true in all directions. The G/GAE have a heavier platter with bonded brass layer against the GR's simpler design which is still rather heavy with a thick rubber layer underneath. People often assume that the GR's platter is a lightweight, resonant thing like that of the old Mk2, but it's not, being heavy by any standard and even without its mat is totally 'dead' to a knuckle rap.

It is worth noting that the SL-1200G's platter is properly balanced and the GR's is not.

Those differences apart, there are significant differences in the standard tonearms fitted to the G/GAE and GR. The former's arms have magnesium tubes whereas the GR's is aluminium. Under the skin, the G/GAE arms have the same sort of metal sub-structure as the old SL-1200 Mk2/Mk5 models, but the GR is very much built to a lower price point and pretty much everything from the outer mounting down is actually made from plastic, albeit very nicely finished plastic. My experience, supported by pretty much all the reviews in magazines for these decks, is that none of these tonearms match the superb performance of the decks' motor systems, which always was the case and why these decks can properly do justice to rather high end tonearms.

So, my first suggestion for tweaking is to consider changing the tonearm, or at least consider something like a KAB damper for the existing one. The standard rubber mat does impart a 'rubbery' sonic signature to the decks and my choice for a much better sounding replacement is the Funk Achromat. Headshells - there are many to choose from but one of the main benefits from swapping these is to tweak the overall effective mass of the arm to better suit cartridges like medium compliance moving coils.

I would take the G or GR over the SME 10 any day - apart from cost there is the significant convenience of a lid, and the overall package is quite compact.
    Last edited by Ammonite Audio; 06-04-2018 at 17:45. Reason: More detail regarding platter balancing

I purchased a 1200GR a couple of weeks ago and absolutely love it. I now wish I'd possibly bought the 1200G although from what Hugo says above I'm not sure it would necessarily sound any better. The 1200G does look beautiful though. Personally, I'd hate the thought of changing the tonearm as these appear to me superb decks as they are with the classic SL1200 looks but a whole host of changes under the bonnet (including with the tonearms).

My reasons for buying one were very much in line with the OP's - I have a few 78s and am getting more into 45s and just enjoying things, rather than striving for that last ounce of detail, etc. Mind you, with decent cartridge you'll get that anyway on your LPs.

These are simply stunning decks by any measure. They have an assurance in operation and sound that other decks I have owned don't - they just seem designed to play records for enjoyment. There are some You Tube videos from that Michael Framer (Stereophile) guy comparing the G to his mega-buck belt drive and it's hard to tell any meaningful difference from the audio clips and analysis.

I have done a couple of "upgrades" but I'm leaving it at that - an Achromat and an AT headshell. I'm currently using a Nagaoka MP-110 which suits it well.

One word of advice - shop around. The GR can be nailed for little over a Grand and a couple of places are doing the G at £2.5K at the moment, or so it seems.

Cheers

Phil

Location: Banbury, Oxfordshire/Panteg is where my late father was born

I'm Chris.

Enjoy it Phil, it's a great deck and will last for decades, looks to be a fantastic buy at about 1k.
    Chris

We've gone on holiday by mistake !

I'm Chris.

Quote Originally Posted by Ammonite Acoustics View Post
    Hi Julian

I have not personally heard the SL-1200G, although I have customers that own them, but I do use a GR here and it's very impressive. The G/GAE and GR share the same motor topology and drive circuitry, except the GR has a single rotor and the G/GAE have twin rotors. The GR's one rotor provides enough torque to almost strip skin off your fingers when pressed against the platter edge, and it's noteworthy that when Noel Keywood tested the GR, its measured speed stability actually bettered the G/GAE's, so I'm not convinced that the G's more elaborate motor is justified in the real world. The G/GAE do have a nice machined alloy top plate, but the GR's cheaper cast top plate is nicely made and according to my spirit levels, completely true in all directions. The G/GAE have a heavier platter with bonded brass layer against the GR's simpler design which is still rather heavy with a thick rubber layer underneath. People often assume that the GR's platter is a lightweight, resonant thing like that of the old Mk2, but it's not, being heavy by any standard and even without its mat is totally 'dead' to a knuckle rap.

Those differences apart, there are significant differences in the standard tonearms fitted to the G/GAE and GR. The former's arms have magnesium tubes whereas the GR's is aluminium. Under the skin, the G/GAE arms have the same sort of metal sub-structure as the old SL-1200 Mk2/Mk5 models, but the GR is very much built to a lower price point and pretty much everything from the outer mounting down is actually made from plastic, albeit very nicely finished plastic. My experience, supported by pretty much all the reviews in magazines for these decks, is that none of these tonearms match the superb performance of the decks' motor systems, which always was the case and why these decks can properly do justice to rather high end tonearms.

So, my first suggestion for tweaking is to consider changing the tonearm, or at least consider something like a KAB damper for the existing one. The standard rubber mat does impart a 'rubbery' sonic signature to the decks and my choice for a much better sounding replacement is the Funk Achromat. Headshells - there are many to choose from but one of the main benefits from swapping these is to tweak the overall effective mass of the arm to better suit cartridges like medium compliance moving coils.

I would take the G or GR over the SME 10 any day - apart from cost there is the significant convenience of a lid, and the overall package is quite compact.
    Hi Hugo

Very good information, how easy is it to change the arm on the GR, I have the mk2 and fitted an SME 309, it was fairly easy apart from having to cut away part of the rubber base for the arm cable.
    Last edited by chris@panteg; 06-04-2018 at 12:02.
    Chris

I'm Hugo.

The GR is very straightforward in this respect, and there is no cutting away required at all - just remove the bottom layer and everything is accessible (there is no intermediate layer on the GR, but there is on the G). Then it’s a simple matter of undoing 3 bolts and one earth wire and the stock tonearm can be lifted out. The whole process is just as easy to reverse.

Quote Originally Posted by chris@panteg View Post
    Hi Hugo

Very good information, how easy is it to change the arm on the GR, I have the mk2 and fitted an SME 309, it was fairly easy apart from having to cut away part of the rubber base for the arm cable.

I'm Chris.

That sounds very easy compared to my mk2, I think it is worth doing if you can afford a better arm and have the inkling.

Thanks Hugo.
    Chris

Quote Originally Posted by chris@panteg View Post
    Enjoy it Phil, it's a great deck and will last for decades, looks to be a fantastic buy at about 1k.
    Thanks Chris, I will. Love the signature by the way - one of my favourite lines from a film and how I have often felt about going on holiday

What is a bit lacking at the moment are comparisons between the G and GR from listeners. I guess that will come with time.

Cheers

Phil

I'm Chris.

Quote Originally Posted by Phil Bishop View Post
    Thanks Chris, I will. Love the signature by the way - one of my favourite lines from a film and how I have often felt about going on holiday

What is a bit lacking at the moment are comparisons between the G and GR from listeners. I guess that will come with time.

Cheers

Phil
    Sorry I can't help you with that as I've not heard it but I suspect if you can afford it, the G would be a lovely thing to own.
    Chris

I'm Julian.

Thanks for all the replies and a particular thank you to Hugo for his very thorough appreciation of the SL1200GR. It seems like I can save some dosh here and upgrade the tonearm later. (Hugo I still have the Pioneer CD recorder you sold me & it is put to good use!).

Hugo have you tried the new Jelco 9 inch on the GR? Or the SME M2-9-R?

In fact given my age and the fact that I am slightly deaf in one ear, I may well be satisfied with the stock arm. I find with this deafness that I have rather given up on sitting in the 'sweet spot', for obvious reasons. If money was no object I might try some Shahinian speakers but I love my KEFs.

I am surprised that you -prefer the Technics to the SME 10. The latter has such high praise from some, only being mentioned as slightly analytical.
    Julian.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast