Five days ago I replaced my Rega RB300 tonearm with Jelco 750E. The sound changed immediately, and I interpreted the change as being a staggering improvement. I was immediately able to hear many previously never heard details, plus the overall sound became much more authoritative and natural.

I had a good fortune to be able to spend the past five days listening to a lot of LPs, enjoying the new configuration. Then, after about two or three days of dedicated listening, I began noticing how the sound changes. The sound started becoming less in-your-face analytical and gradually morphed into a much more relaxed, silky and sweet presentation.

I was amazed by the transformation -- it is precisely how I'd like my turntable to sound. But then I started wondering -- what is it in the chain that is now burning-in? Conventional wisdom claims that tonearms need no burn-in time, so what could it be?

Then it dawned on me -- I've added high quality brand new Nagaoka cables to connect Jelco with the phono stage. So could it be that Nagaoka cables are gradually burning in? I am not a believer in cable burn-in, so I immediately became skeptical of that hypothesis.

Then it dawned on me again -- maybe it's just me, my ears gradually getting used to the new configuration? And as I'm getting accustomed to the brand new sound, I'm beginning to perceive it as more pleasant, more familiar, smoother, more liquid and less granular?

So maybe this entire burn-in principle is merely an urban myth, and what's actually going on during the burn-in period is our listening getting accustomed to the new configuration?

Anyone had similar experiences?