+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Earlug Crap !!

I'm Mark.

Ear syringes don't get much of a look in these days but when I was a kid there were always 2 or 3 hanging about in the sideboard drawers. Can be very effective and somewhat ornamental if left casually on the coffee table, great conversation pieces!

I'm Anto.

I use a small ear wax scraper . Usually after a good hot bath and a soak under the water for a fair few minutes !!
    But I dont recommend it for everyone . The scraper is like a small metal spoon and you need to be really really careful. Plus , a soak for someone with a plug of wax may trap bugs / bacteria in the ear canal and cause you to get an ear infection!!
    I only ride 'em, I don't know what makes 'em work

I'm Mark.

I heard a rumour Dyson are working on an attachment for the hand held model.

I'm AMusicFanNotAnAudiophile.

Quote Originally Posted by Minstrel SE View Post
    I use cotton buds
    Don't!
    Just don't - you shouldn't be using anything that can reach that far inside your ear.
    Chris

Common sense isn't anymore!

I'm inactive.

Well - seems things of moved on since the last time I went for a squirt and scrape. Our local NHS practice had ditched wax removal all together since the nurse with the long finger nail retired

I now have to wait (possibly weeks) for an appointment at the hospital where my wax will be 'micro-suctioned' out - a process which (as usual) is actually scarier than it sounds. Apparently an entire film crew goes in armed with a vacuum pump and you get to see all the action on a monitor while they excavate the gunk.
    Makes the whole London fatberg thing sound like a side show...

Incidentally - one thing I have learnt in the decades dealing with this shenanigans is to never, ever stick anything solid like a cotton bud, hair clip or scraper in your lug in an attempt to DIY the job ... not if you like the joy your hifi brings.

I'm Geoff.

How about submersing each ear in turn into an ultrasonic cleaner bath?

I'm Robert.

Quote Originally Posted by mikmas View Post
    Well - seems things of moved on since the last time I went for a squirt and scrape. Our local NHS practice had ditched wax removal all together since the nurse with the long finger nail retired

I now have to wait (possibly weeks) for an appointment at the hospital where my wax will be 'micro-suctioned' out - a process which (as usual) is actually scarier than it sounds. Apparently an entire film crew goes in armed with a vacuum pump and you get to see all the action on a monitor while they excavate the gunk.
    Makes the whole London fatberg thing sound like a side show...

Incidentally - one thing I have learnt in the decades dealing with this shenanigans is to never, ever stick anything solid like a cotton bud, hair clip or scraper in your lug in an attempt to DIY the job ... not if you like the joy your hifi brings.
    Absolutely ! not worth the agg' not only are you packing the wax tightly further into your ear, (effectively making matters worse), one slip and ......
    My System:
    Amplification - Sansui AU-alpha 707 DR
    Turntable - Technics SP10 MK2-Technics EPA-250 Tonearm-Yannis Tome 423.5Plus tonearm cable-Eichmann KLEI Absolute Harmony plugs.
    Ortofon Cadenza Black moving coil cartridge-Fritz Gyger S re-tip. Panzerholz plinth.

CDP - Pioneer PD-91
    Speakers - Spendor D7 on Soundcare SuperSpikes
    QED Silver Spiral speaker cable-airloc banana plugs
    Mains - Ultra Pure silver plated un-switched socket-Missing link EPS 500 silver plated plugs-Hi-Fi Tuning gold plated silver ceramic 13 amp fuses

I'm Phil.

ears are very precious , having done a good many ear syringes [ which is very satisfying but nerve wracking as a major source of litigation]

some good guidelines here

Don't use your fingers or any objects like cotton buds to remove earwax. This will push it in and make it worse.

Earwax usually falls out on its own. If it doesn't and blocks your ear, put 2 to 3 drops of olive or almond oil in your ear twice a day for a few days.

Over 2 weeks lumps of earwax should fall out of your ear, especially at night when you're lying down.

There's no evidence that ear candles or ear vacuums get rid of earwax

Speak to a pharmacist about earwax build-up. They can give advice and suggest treatments.

They might recommend chemical drops to dissolve the earwax. The earwax should fall out on its own or dissolve after about a week.

Don't use drops if you have a hole in your eardrum (a perforated eardrum).

Not all GP practices remove earwax
    Some can:

flush the wax out with water (ear irrigation)
    suck the wax out (microsuction)
    These treatments are usually painless. You might have to pay to have them done privately.

Preventing earwax build-up
    You can't prevent earwax. It's there to protect your ears from dirt and germs.

But you can keep using ear drops to soften the wax. This will help it fall out on its own and should prevent blocked ears.

Causes of earwax
    You might have earwax build-up because:

you just have more wax in your ears – some people do naturally
    you have hairy or narrow canals (the tubes that link the eardrum and outer ear)
    of your age – wax gets harder and more difficult to fall out
    of hearing aids, earplugs and other things you put in your ear – these can push the wax further in
    How to tell if your ear is blocked with earwax
    You can have:

earache
    difficulty hearing
    itchiness
    dizziness
    an ear infection
    sounds such as high-pitched tones coming from inside the ear (tinnitus)
    Once the earwax is removed, these symptoms usually improve. If they don't, see the nurse at your GP practice.

https://www.nhs.uk/conditions/earwax-build-up/
    ou might slip, you might slide, you might
    Stumble and fall by the road side
    But don't you ever let nobody drag your spirit down
    Remember you're walking up to heaven

Don't let nobody turn you around
    … Walk with the rich, walk with the poor
    Learn from everyone, that's what life is for
    And don't you let nobody drag your spirit down

Eric Bibb

I'm Grant.

oddly, or maybe not, ive been using ear buds most of my life. doc says ive got nice clean ears(i dont tell him lol) just have to be careful and not just bung it in..i get an ear spray due to a long time dermatitis thing i got at work. the ear buds help with that too, but dont have to use it so much now.
    i wouldnt advise anyone to follow suit tho, as it is tricky to do it right.
    Last edited by struth; 12-04-2018 at 14:28.
    Regards,
    Grant .... ؠ ......Don't be such a big girl's blouse

I've said it before and I'll say it again: democracy simply-doesn't-work
    .... ..... ...... ...... ................... ..... ..... ..... ..... .....
    FIIO K7 BT, M11 PLUS, BTR7, KA5 - OPPO BDP-103D - PANASONIC UB450 - PANASONIC 4K ULTRA HD TV - PIXEL 6 - AVANTREE LR BLUETOOTH - 2* X600 SOUNDCORE - HEADPHONES INCLUDE, FIIO, NURAPHONES', FOCAL, OPPO, BOSE, CAMBRIDGE, BOWER & WILKINS, DEVIALET, MARSHALL, SONY, MITCHELL & JOHNSTON - 2*ZBOOK'S- MERCURY BD ROM, ROON, QOBUZ, TIDAL, PLEX, CYBERLINK, JRIVER - MULTI HDD'S -

Oh my god! There's nothing wrong with the bidet is there?

“Nothing discloses real character like the use of power. It is easy for the weak to be gentle. Most people can bear adversity. But if you wish to know what a man really is, give him power. This is the supreme test. It is the glory of Lincoln that, having almost absolute power, he never abused it, except on the side of mercy".

“You see these dictators on their pedestals, surrounded by the bayonets of their soldiers and the truncheons of their police ... yet in their hearts there is unspoken fear. They are afraid of words and thoughts: words spoken abroad, thoughts stirring at home -- all the more powerful because forbidden -- terrify them. A little mouse of thought appears in the room, and even the mightiest potentates are thrown into panic.”

"You don't have free will. You have the appearance of free will.”

“There's a war out there, old friend. A world war. And it's not about who's got the most bullets. It's about who controls the information. What we see and hear, how we work, what we think... it's all about the information!”

***SMILE, BE HAPPY***

I'm Alan.

Otex

you should not insert anything smaller than your finger...in your ear
    'ANDSOME IN THE SUMMER..'ORIBBLE IN THE WINTER. Barney Milne

Cambridge Audio CXN, Seagate nas drive, Michell Gyrodec SE, SME309, Benz M2 Ruby cantilever, Denon DL103, Primare R32, Densen D20, Densen D30, Cambridge Audio 840A V2 integrated, Pioneer SX-N30AE Network Stereo Receiver, Roksan Darius speakers, Technics speakers, Canon speakers, Bastanis Dragonfly Horns, REL Storm III sub, Target R1 speaker stands, Atacama Equinox.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast