+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Earlug Crap !!

I'm Mark.

Ear syringes don't get much of a look in these days but when I was a kid there were always 2 or 3 hanging about in the sideboard drawers. Can be very effective and somewhat ornamental if left casually on the coffee table, great conversation pieces!

I'm Anto.

I use a small ear wax scraper . Usually after a good hot bath and a soak under the water for a fair few minutes !!
    But I dont recommend it for everyone . The scraper is like a small metal spoon and you need to be really really careful. Plus , a soak for someone with a plug of wax may trap bugs / bacteria in the ear canal and cause you to get an ear infection!!
    I only ride 'em, I don't know what makes 'em work

I'm Mark.

I heard a rumour Dyson are working on an attachment for the hand held model.

I'm AMusicFanNotAnAudiophile.

Quote Originally Posted by Minstrel SE View Post
    I use cotton buds
    Don't!
    Just don't - you shouldn't be using anything that can reach that far inside your ear.
    Chris

Once we've made sense of our world, we wanna go fuck up everybody else's because his or her truth doesn't match mine. But this is the problem. Truth is individual calculation. Which means because we all have different perspectives, there isn't one singular truth, is there?

I'm Mike.

Well - seems things of moved on since the last time I went for a squirt and scrape. Our local NHS practice had ditched wax removal all together since the nurse with the long finger nail retired

I now have to wait (possibly weeks) for an appointment at the hospital where my wax will be 'micro-suctioned' out - a process which (as usual) is actually scarier than it sounds. Apparently an entire film crew goes in armed with a vacuum pump and you get to see all the action on a monitor while they excavate the gunk.
    Makes the whole London fatberg thing sound like a side show...

Incidentally - one thing I have learnt in the decades dealing with this shenanigans is to never, ever stick anything solid like a cotton bud, hair clip or scraper in your lug in an attempt to DIY the job ... not if you like the joy your hifi brings.

I'm Geoff.

How about submersing each ear in turn into an ultrasonic cleaner bath?

I'm Robert.

Quote Originally Posted by mikmas View Post
    Well - seems things of moved on since the last time I went for a squirt and scrape. Our local NHS practice had ditched wax removal all together since the nurse with the long finger nail retired

I now have to wait (possibly weeks) for an appointment at the hospital where my wax will be 'micro-suctioned' out - a process which (as usual) is actually scarier than it sounds. Apparently an entire film crew goes in armed with a vacuum pump and you get to see all the action on a monitor while they excavate the gunk.
    Makes the whole London fatberg thing sound like a side show...

Incidentally - one thing I have learnt in the decades dealing with this shenanigans is to never, ever stick anything solid like a cotton bud, hair clip or scraper in your lug in an attempt to DIY the job ... not if you like the joy your hifi brings.
    Absolutely ! not worth the agg' not only are you packing the wax tightly further into your ear, (effectively making matters worse), one slip and ......
    My System:
    Amplification - Sansui AU-919 Complete overhaul, upgraded, re-capped. Caps upgraded from 4 x 15,000 uf to 4 x 20,000 uf-inside original oval caps. All glue and 'black flags' removed
    Turntable - Modified Technics SL1210 MK5G
    Mike New precision bearing, bearing base plate, ETP Platter
    Micro Seiki MA-202 tonearm, rewired, hybrid ceramic bearings
    Ortofon Cadenza Black moving coil cartridge
    Yannis Tome 423.5 Silver-Litz tonearm cable with KLEI Pure Silver Harmony plugs
    Ebony armboard
    Audio Technica MS-8 Magnesium headshell, Ortofon pure silver headshell leads
    Isonoe Isolation Feet
    Paul Hynes SR7EHD PSU (plus regulator modules), DCSXL pure-silver DC lead with Jaegar low impedance connector
    CDP - Pioneer PD-91
    Speakers - Mission 752 Freedom
    QED Silver Spiral speaker cable, Airlock plugs - bare wire amp end.
    Mains - Ultra Pure silver plated un-switched socket, Missing link EPS 500 silver plated plugs with Hi-Fi Tuning gold plated silver ceramic 13 amp fuses

I'm Phil.

ears are very precious , having done a good many ear syringes [ which is very satisfying but nerve wracking as a major source of litigation]

some good guidelines here

Don't use your fingers or any objects like cotton buds to remove earwax. This will push it in and make it worse.

Earwax usually falls out on its own. If it doesn't and blocks your ear, put 2 to 3 drops of olive or almond oil in your ear twice a day for a few days.

Over 2 weeks lumps of earwax should fall out of your ear, especially at night when you're lying down.

There's no evidence that ear candles or ear vacuums get rid of earwax

Speak to a pharmacist about earwax build-up. They can give advice and suggest treatments.

They might recommend chemical drops to dissolve the earwax. The earwax should fall out on its own or dissolve after about a week.

Don't use drops if you have a hole in your eardrum (a perforated eardrum).

Not all GP practices remove earwax
    Some can:

flush the wax out with water (ear irrigation)
    suck the wax out (microsuction)
    These treatments are usually painless. You might have to pay to have them done privately.

Preventing earwax build-up
    You can't prevent earwax. It's there to protect your ears from dirt and germs.

But you can keep using ear drops to soften the wax. This will help it fall out on its own and should prevent blocked ears.

Causes of earwax
    You might have earwax build-up because:

you just have more wax in your ears – some people do naturally
    you have hairy or narrow canals (the tubes that link the eardrum and outer ear)
    of your age – wax gets harder and more difficult to fall out
    of hearing aids, earplugs and other things you put in your ear – these can push the wax further in
    How to tell if your ear is blocked with earwax
    You can have:

earache
    difficulty hearing
    itchiness
    dizziness
    an ear infection
    sounds such as high-pitched tones coming from inside the ear (tinnitus)
    Once the earwax is removed, these symptoms usually improve. If they don't, see the nurse at your GP practice.

https://www.nhs.uk/conditions/earwax-build-up/
    1]bel canto pre 3 vbs /MSB s200 , / Marantz sa8005/ bel canto fm1
    sonos, . tannoy eaton legacy 2]naim supernait 2 rotel 965cd bel canto 3.5vbss and RFC impulse ta`us

I'm Grant.

oddly, or maybe not, ive been using ear buds most of my life. doc says ive got nice clean ears(i dont tell him lol) just have to be careful and not just bung it in..i get an ear spray due to a long time dermatitis thing i got at work. the ear buds help with that too, but dont have to use it so much now.
    i wouldnt advise anyone to follow suit tho, as it is tricky to do it right.
    Last edited by struth; 12-04-2018 at 14:28.
    Regards,
    Grant ....

I've said it before and I'll say it again: democracy simply-doesn't-work
    .... ..... ...... ...... ................... ..... ..... ..... ..... .....
    OPPO BDP-103D DARBEE - JBE SERIES 3/M55E/EMOTIVA XPS1 - TWIN PRO MONOBLOCK AMPLIFIERS - XIANG SHENG DAC\PRE\HEADPHONE AMP - TWIN AVANTREE OASIS CLASS 1 BLUETOOTHS - AUDIO TECHNICA ATH-MSR7 & OPPO PM-3 PLANAR HEADPHONES - WIN10 JRIVER23, DEEZER HiFi - ECHO DOT - SMSL M6 MINIDAC - RPI/AUDIOPHONICS - FULL RANGE TWIN TELEFUNKEN/Q ACOUSTIC BT3/CANTON SUB - P.INSPIRED MAINS REGENERATED.

I'm Alan.

Otex

you should not insert anything smaller than your finger...in your ear
    'ANSOM IN THE SUMMER..'ORIBBLE IN THE WINTER

Cambridge Audio stream magic 6, Seagate nas drive, Sony X559ES CD Player, Michell Gyrodec SE, SME309, London pro., Denon DL103, Primare R32, Musical Fidelity A5, Sugden Headmaster headphone/pre-amp, Class D power amp, Shanling dac 50, Roksan Darius speakers, Kef Calinda speakers, Target R1's, Atacama Equinox.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast