+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Kickstarter for "No Filter" - AAA vinyl

I'm Jerome.

Default Kickstarter for "No Filter" - AAA vinyl

Hello,

I wasn't sure where to post this, I hope this is OK.

I'm a jazz musician and an audiophile living in New York. I have a Garrard 401 turntable, a Fisher X-100-3 amplifier and Rogers JR 149 speakers. In the digital world, I have a mac mini server with a Wavelength Brick V3 DAC and an Arcam FMJ23 CD player. I was recently profiled in the Stereophile series Musicians as Audiophiles in Stereophile. My interest in British classic hifi led me to this board.

Three years ago, the support of the audiophile community helped make a vinyl pressing of my album "The Turn" a reality. "The Turn" made a few "best of" lists for 2014 (LA Times, Boston Globe, DownBeat) and was also favorably reviewed in Stereophile and Analog Planet.

I recently recorded a new album, "No Filter", a project I co-lead with my old friend - and fantastic guitarist - Greg Tuohey. Like "The Turn", this record was recorded live to two track 1/2 inch tape at 30 ips by James Farber at Sear Sound. It will be mastered and cut to lacquer directly from the tape by Bernie Grundman. 96/24 downloads will also be available, as well as CDs and reel to reel. I am raising funds on Kickstarter, essentially pre selling the album.

The Kickstarter is here.

I am trying to keep the vinyl affordable ($20) but international shipping is expensive. I can however send several at the same time, which brings the cost down. Please feel free to PM me.

I thought this could interest board members here. I am happy to answer any and all questions.

Thank you!

Best Regards,

Jerome Sabbagh
    www.jeromesabbagh.com

I'm richard.

Excellent Post Jerome; I enjoyed reading it and looking thru those links too. Especially so the articles: Musicians as Audiophiles in Stereophile-

Of course the use of JR149s caught my eye - I have a pair in the office with me - they are quite beguiling and were my dream speaker but something I could not afford when they were released.

I'll take a listen to the kickstarter link and music on there next - Jazz fans on here should have a listen !.

many thanks,

richard.

I'm Jerome.

Thanks Richard! I do love the JR 149. Amazing speaker, with great imaging quality and no obvious flaw. I hope you enjoy the music!

I'm Jerome.

An update: We have the first mastered test track from Bernie Grundman. So far, it's "just" 96/24 but it sounds great. I can't wait to hear how the vinyl turns up. The Kickstarter is still online for another two weeks. Thank you!

I'm Jerome.

As a thank you for the support on this board, I wanted to share a couple of preview tracks with you. They are streaming here:

https://soundcloud.com/jeromesabbagh...ohey-no-filter

Mastering Engineer Bernie Grundman gave us a few options to choose from in the beginning and, after extensive listening, we ended up going with no EQ, which allowed us to bypass the mastering board for an even purer signal path.

For the vinyl, Bernie has cut a test lacquer of a song two ways, one on his solid state lathe and one on his tube lathe. We’re going to pick the one that sounds best to us to cut the vinyl directly from the tape.

I hope you will enjoy the music and consider supporting this project, if you haven’t done so already. There are 5 days left:

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects...r-analog-vinyl

I have a master at 96/24 and if anyone here would like to hear the tracks at 96/24, please PM me and I will happily send a link.

Thank you!

Jerome Sabbagh

+ Reply to Thread