+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: The Lovely Sennheiser HD600

I'm Mike.

Like everything else, I suppose, synergy is key. My 650s sound a lot different (= better) on my Myryad amp. than they did using my venerable Cyrus One outlet and the Naim Headline before that. I can only imagine that most/all headphone presentations are dependent upon their relevant amplification.

Only when a reputation is acquired using a plethora of diverse kit and in many different installations can it be fully deserved, i.m.o. The 600s, 650s and a number of other cans have, I feel, passed this litmus test.

I'm not a major headphone aficionado, using them more for TV than for any other source, but I am intrigued enough to want to listen to others (i.e. Beyer, Focal), but only in my own environment. I say this, as I listened to (mainly) Focal cans up to and around £3K at the East Anglian show last November and was rather underwhelmed. I can only put that down to source or amplification rather than the product.

I'm Hugh.

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Reed View Post
    I say this, as I listened to (mainly) Focal cans up to and around £3K at the East Anglian show last November and was rather underwhelmed. I can only put that down to source or amplification rather than the product.
    Not necessarily. I've never been impressed by Focals when I've heard them, and you would expect exhibitors to be using sympathetic equipment when demoing.

I'm Mike.

Quote Originally Posted by narabdela View Post
    Not necessarily. I've never been impressed by Focals when I've heard them, and you would expect exhibitors to be using sympathetic equipment when demoing.
    Yes, maybe, but playing unknown music from a streaming or similar device is not my idea of 'showcasing' a product. Must admit that the top of the range ones were rather good but at that cost level........! Maybe it was one of their planar products; certainly they did have one or two there. Oddly (i.m.o.), the amplification seemed to all be tiny boxes (Schitt, maybe?), which did strike me as not rolling out the big boys in headphone amplification (or valved, come to that).

I'm Steve.

There's no two ways about it, the HD600 and HD650 were just great headphones, and especially it light of the headphone price arms race over recent years, amazing value.

I have a pair of each alongside my HD800
    Steve aka 'Twelvebears' (it's a long story)
    System: Technics 1210 Mk5, Jelco 750 arm, AT33EV via MF X-LP2 Phono Stage, Oyaide mat and record clamp. SB Touch via Marantz PM-11S1 amp and Wilson Benesch A.C.T. speakers. Mark Grant cables and PS Audio Power Plant Premier mains regenerator.
    (\__/)
    (='.'=)
    (")_(")

I'm Mike.

Quote Originally Posted by twelvebears View Post
    There's no two ways about it, the HD600 and HD650 were just great headphones, and especially it light of the headphone price arms race over recent years, amazing value.

I have a pair of each alongside my HD800
    Interesting that you have a family of Senn's ! I believe that the 800s are a different kettle of fish to the 600/650. I've also read that the 800S tamed some of the upper level emphasis etc., making it a better all-rounder. I think there's a 700 out now which is receiving good reviews. Maybe between the 800S and the 650? Dunno.

I'm Paul.

Does anyone use their hd600's straight out of a caiman seg? if so how do they sound (is there enough volume) I'm using a 15v linear psu.

Been thinking about a pair of headphones for a while now and see these get mentioned alot on AoS.

I'm Steve.

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Reed View Post
    Interesting that you have a family of Senn's ! I believe that the 800s are a different kettle of fish to the 600/650. I've also read that the 800S tamed some of the upper level emphasis etc., making it a better all-rounder. I think there's a 700 out now which is receiving good reviews. Maybe between the 800S and the 650? Dunno.
    Oh they are very different for sure, but I like them all for different reasons, but the 600 series are just great all-rounders and fab vfm, especially with the price of many new headphones that have come out in recent years.
    Steve aka 'Twelvebears' (it's a long story)
    System: Technics 1210 Mk5, Jelco 750 arm, AT33EV via MF X-LP2 Phono Stage, Oyaide mat and record clamp. SB Touch via Marantz PM-11S1 amp and Wilson Benesch A.C.T. speakers. Mark Grant cables and PS Audio Power Plant Premier mains regenerator.
    (\__/)
    (='.'=)
    (")_(")

I'm Mike.

I got pissed one night and smashed mine up cos one channel kept on going, silly me. Miss 'em now.
    Current system 1210 GR. CDP - Meridian G08. Amp -Sugden A21I - Sig. Wharfedale Lintons.

I'm Patrick.

Quote Originally Posted by southall-1998 View Post
    Just a quick silly review.

I know the HD600 quite well by now, having listening to them since 2011. I've owned a good few HD600's in different years, and very stupidly ended up selling them

Had a long (ish) listening session through the HD600 last night. These headphones just never fails to impress me. They sound sooooo! listenable and subtle. Nothing in the presentation is hyped, just natural. All the detail is present, but without sounding painful. Bass is deep with decent slam, just don't expect sub level bass through the HD600. If you want a little more weight and warmth, then perhaps consider the HD650. Another lovely headphone!

The HD600 is now going to be my endgame headphone. After listening to the HD600 again, and getting to understand them more. I can't return back to Grado's and other different brands. To really escape from the HD600, I'll have to spend huge amounts of money to find something that sounds better to my ears.

Please don't get me wrong. The HD600 are not the best headphones in the world. But for the money, you can't go wrong!

I'm bitterly cross with Sennheiser for discontinuing both the HD600 & HD650. Thanks to those fecking HD660S!!!! Go and watch Tyll's YouTube video (InnerFidelity). He's right and I agree.

Happy listening.

S.
    Glad you are enjoying them. I'm pretty shocked that they have stopped making them. I'm sure you would have to pay a lot more for any improvement in sound quality. Just a pity my ears can't tolerate headphones regardless of quality.

I'm Mike.

Quote Originally Posted by Simon75 View Post
    Glad you are enjoying them. I'm pretty shocked that they have stopped making them. I'm sure you would have to pay a lot more for any improvement in sound quality. Just a pity my ears can't tolerate headphones regardless of quality.
    Rather intrigued by that. In which way, aurally or comfort-wise?

+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast