+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: The Lovely Sennheiser HD600

I'm Werner.

Shane,
    Quote Originally Posted by southall-1998 View Post
    These headphones just never fails to impress me. They sound sooooo! listenable and subtle. Nothing in the presentation is hyped, just natural. All the detail is present, but without sounding painful.[…]
    I’m glad you like them. For my ears the Sennheiser HD 600 and HD 650 sound like there was a semitransparent veil between my ears and the music. I prefer the Beyerdynamic sound.

The best Sennheisers I ever heard were the iconic HD 414.
    Mac OS X iTunes → Schiit Bifrost DAC → Yamaha AX-592 → Triangle Zays XS Grand Angle | AKG K712 Pro headphones | my last.fm profile

I'm Svend.

Quote Originally Posted by Werner Berghofer View Post
    Shane,I’m glad you like them. For my ears the Sennheiser HD 600 and HD 650 sound like there was a semitransparent veil between my ears and the music. I prefer the Beyerdynamic sound.

Interesting comment, Werner. I have the HD-424, which were made around the same time as the 414's and were supposed to be slightly better-sounding, being a model up from the 414. I really like the sound (esp. since I made up a new cable for them) and have been curious as to how they compare to the new Sennheisers. Not wanting to spend hundreds just to satisfy a fleeting curiosity, your comment is quite insightful. Thanks for that!

Hope all is well in the cold north of Germany . My friends in Kiel sent me pictures of snow on the fields over Easter.

Best,
    Svend

I'm inactive.

I had a pair back in the day ... they were very trendy as I remember; I thought the sound was OK too.

I'm Werner.

Svend,
    Quote Originally Posted by Svend N View Post
    I have the HD-424, which were made around the same time as the 414's and were supposed to be slightly better-sounding, being a model up from the 414.
    I also owned a pair of the HD 424 in the classic black-yellow finish. Design and build quality was a step up from the HD 414, but the HD 414 had a unique, minimalist charm and a tremendously open and airy sound stage.

Hope all is well in the cold north of Germany . My friends in Kiel sent me pictures of snow on the fields over Easter.
    Yes, that was terrible, but mainly the east coast was affected by the snow. However, the weather forecast for the weekend promises up to 73 °F and sunshine. I'm already polishing my bicycle full of anticipation. It looks like the winter is finally over, thank goodness.

Take care,

Werner.
    Last edited by Werner Berghofer; 05-04-2018 at 19:09.
    Mac OS X iTunes → Schiit Bifrost DAC → Yamaha AX-592 → Triangle Zays XS Grand Angle | AKG K712 Pro headphones | my last.fm profile

I'm Werner.

Mike,
    Quote Originally Posted by mikmas View Post
    I had a pair back in the day ... they were very trendy as I remember; I thought the sound was OK too.
    in Vienna they were the standard headphones of every reputable record shop.
    Last edited by Werner Berghofer; 05-04-2018 at 19:11.

I'm Svend.

Svend,I also owned a pair of the HD 424 in the classic black-yellow finish. Design and build quality was a step up from the HD 414, but the HD 414 had a unique, minimalist charm and a tremendously open and airy sound stage.

Take care,

Werner.
    Well, I shall carry on enjoying my old HD424's, which sound substantially better now that I made up a new cable for them. They've always been very nice to listen to, but are just so much fuller and richer sounding now, and even more open. Quite remarkably different, actually. No urge to upgrade these...they're a keeper.

Regards,
    Svend

I'm Werner.

Svend,
    No urge to upgrade these...they're a keeper.
    good choice, these are really excellent headphones. The HD 414 and 424 are especially good suited for binaural (aka “dummy head stereo”) recordings.

Werner.

I'm Svend.

Svend,good choice, these are really excellent headphones. The HD 414 and 424 are especially good suited for binaural (aka “dummy head stereo”) recordings.

Werner.
    Gee Werner, I don't think I'd know a binaural recording if it walked up and hit me on the head I wonder if I even have any of those...? As for dummy head stereo, I suspect that my wife regards me that way every time she catches me reading a hi-fi magazine

I'm Andrew.

I tried the HD1000's, hated them.
    SS
    CD Teac VRDS25X(Audiotuned) DECK 1210 Mat Crystal Audio Mods MN Base/Bearing/Platter+Ebony armboard Feet Isonoe PSU Paul Hynes SR7EHD-27XL/DCSXL Ag DC lead/3 Stage Regs/Recap PCB+No Pitch/Strobe/Light ARM SME V(Kondo Ag Rewire&Tags) MC Cadenza Black FGS CABLES Arm Yannis SPD-4 IC Yannis 222 Litz+Ag bullets Power WAR PRE ATC SCA2 SPEAKERS ATC 50ASL STANDS Atacama PHONO Sugden Masterclass PA4 SUT Ortofon ST80SE POWER PSAudio P10

VALVE
    PRE
    Croft Epoch(Modded) AMP Sondex S100 (Modded) SPEAKERS Tannoy 15"MG+RFC Warwick cabs+ Ref XO + Batpure supertweeters DECK Garrard 301 Mat Teunto Bearings 401(Bastin) Plinth Bamboo Arms 3009/3012 PSU Eagle+Tachometer MC Ag Meister II/FGS + Ortofon SPU MONO CABLES Arm Yannis 420.5 Litz+ SpeakerPC Tripple C+WBT-0681 Ag IC Oyaide FTVS-510 AgWBT 0110Ag Phonostages Paradise(4 Box Mega-Modded) / Croft Musicmaker

I'm givingyouaprettygoodclue.

I have a pair of HD600s and to my ears they have a laid back presentation, as if you’re towards the rear of an auditorium and so the sound is set out in front of you. This makes the music easy to follow and they’re quite balanced and analytical. I can see why folks would regard them as sounding neutral. The only snag is that they can seem a bit flat on some recordings. For example I think they favour acoustic and vocal, on which they sound really alive, more than hard rock, on which they can sound a bit unexciting in my view. I also use Beyer DT990s and Denon AH-D2000s which are both more up-front and punchy. Horses for courses and all that.

In terms of history, I used HD410SLs for many years right until the foam disintegrated (it seems odd that nobody on the planet stocks the yellow pads for the 410s any more, only grey ones). They were radio studio standards in the mid 80’s, however they’re a long, long way behind the HD600s.

Pete

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast