+ Reply to Thread

Thread: 5 way binding posts. What's all that about?

I'm Dave.

Default 5 way binding posts. What's all that about?

I'm sure manufacturers have been quoting the use of 5 way binding posts for ages but I only seemed to notice the term a few days ago. I'm assuming the name refers to the fact that it can be used in 5 ways? I can only think of 3: bare wires, spades and bananas. So what the hell are the other two? Does anyone know?

Cheers.
    Source: Apple TV 4K - DAC: Beresford Bushmaster Mk II - Preamp: CI AudioPLC-1 Mk II - Power Amps: Musical Fidelity 550K mono blocks - Speakers: Wharfedale Opus 3 - Cables: Mark Grant etc - Misc: Belkin PF30 mains filters.

I'm Steve.

Binding Post Speaker Terminals
    Definition:
    A binding post is a connector or terminal commonly used to connect speaker wires to the back of a receiver, amplifier or speaker (and other electronic equipment). Binding posts are sometimes referred to as 'five-way binding posts' because speaker wires can be connected to a binding post in five different ways:

•Bare wire wrapped around the metal post and clampled
    •Bare wire inserted through the hole in the post and clamped
    •A spade lug clamped around the post
    •Banana plugs inserted in the hole in the top of the binding post
    •Pin plugs or connectors inserted through the hole in the binding post and clamped
    Also Known As: Five-way Binding Post
    Steve.

My System:- dCS Vivaldi Transport + dCS Vivaldi Apex DAC + dCS Vivaldi Master Word Clock + dCS Vivaldi Upsampler Plus, Aurender N20 Music Server/Streamer, TW Raven One tt/Graham Phantom II/Transfiguration Orpheus L & Audio Technica ART20 mc's, Whest Titan Pro, D'Agostino Momentum HD pre/S250 MxV power amp, TAD CR-1 MKII loudspeakers, REL Gibraltar G2 subs, Coherent Systems BD Mains, interconnects & speaker cables, Sablon Audo EVO USB cable, Tellurium Q Ultra Silver power cords, Ziro Disclosure & Vertex Roraima Hi-Rez power cords + Furutech FI connectors, Stillpoints ESS racks/component stands, Vertex Aletheia PSU2 balanced power supply, Coherent Systems RTZ3 ground box + CR/BD cables, Acoustica Applicata DaaD room treatment, Mutec Ref10 SE-120.

I'm Dave.

Got to admit that it does stretch the imagination a bit and if we're really going for it, I make it a 'six way' because you can insert a banana plug sideways through the hole in the connector....

I'm Steve.

Not sure you would get a banana plug sideways through the hole. I havn't tried it myself but I'm sure someone did as they seemed to have been quite inventive when they came up with 5 ways.

I certainly wouldn't recommend bare wire as I had an unfortunate mishap with some a few years ago when a stray strand got into the Chord 1200C power amp I had at the time and there was a very loud bang and flash of flame from the top grille when I next switched it on
    Steve.

My System:- dCS Vivaldi Transport + dCS Vivaldi Apex DAC + dCS Vivaldi Master Word Clock + dCS Vivaldi Upsampler Plus, Aurender N20 Music Server/Streamer, TW Raven One tt/Graham Phantom II/Transfiguration Orpheus L & Audio Technica ART20 mc's, Whest Titan Pro, D'Agostino Momentum HD pre/S250 MxV power amp, TAD CR-1 MKII loudspeakers, REL Gibraltar G2 subs, Coherent Systems BD Mains, interconnects & speaker cables, Sablon Audo EVO USB cable, Tellurium Q Ultra Silver power cords, Ziro Disclosure & Vertex Roraima Hi-Rez power cords + Furutech FI connectors, Stillpoints ESS racks/component stands, Vertex Aletheia PSU2 balanced power supply, Coherent Systems RTZ3 ground box + CR/BD cables, Acoustica Applicata DaaD room treatment, Mutec Ref10 SE-120.

I'm Dave.

Thanks Steve, I guess that makes sense but as Dave said it does stretch the imagination a bit. It reminds me of the dishwasher tablet adverts with their 36 in 1 super washing action bollocks and the shaving razors with 20 blades or whatever they're up to now.

Cheers.
    Source: Apple TV 4K - DAC: Beresford Bushmaster Mk II - Preamp: CI AudioPLC-1 Mk II - Power Amps: Musical Fidelity 550K mono blocks - Speakers: Wharfedale Opus 3 - Cables: Mark Grant etc - Misc: Belkin PF30 mains filters.

+ Reply to Thread