+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Slowly building a system. Upgrades?

I'm Svend.

Quote Originally Posted by Lurch View Post
    I would say either an Ortofon 2M Blue, as there is a natural upgrade path by changing stylus head colours, or something from Audio Technica within your price range. The Goldring 1000 series also offers a similar upgrade path.
    +1 Agree with this, but it depends on the arm on your Rega. Assuming it's a later model RB arm, and not the original S-shaped R-200, then I would like to recommend a Goldring 1000 series. I had an RB-300 arm on my TT and tried an Ortofon 2M Bronze (a model up from the Blue) and it sounded very nice but nothing special. Then put a Goldring 1022 on it and it really came alive - big improvement in dynamics, tonal range, soundstage, depth and fullness. It's a great match for the RB-series arms. The 1022 sounds esp. good for jazz and rock. Very punchy.

OTOH, the 2M Bronze sounded much better on the older R-200 S-shaped arm than it did on the RB-300. Very nice cartridge, but fussy over what it's mounted on, it seems.

Good luck.

Svend

I'm Andy.

I would've said Goldring 1000 series as well. No love for the Ortofons myself.

I'm Mike.

I usually advise to start with the mains.

If you don't have one already, are truly confident swap your existing switched socket with an unswitched one.
    Assuming that works well as I think it will you could put in a second to cover all 3 bits of kit.
    TAD CD / DAC / Pre, Technics 1210, MCRU PSU, Mike New Bearing & Platter, Stillpoints LP1 weight, Speedy Steve Ebony armboard, Fidelity Research FR64FX arm, Ortofon SPU. Aurorasound VIDA Phono Pre Amp, TAD Power Amp, TAD E1 speakers. Coherent RTZ 3 Grounding box, Coherent grounding cables, Creaktiv racks. Coherent Mains Cables. SR Blue Fuse. Interconnects : Coherent and Yannis 223.5 Connect Litz. Coherent speaker cable. Audio Magic Transcendence Conditioner. Coherent mains socket. Mains Filters : , PS Audio Harvesters, Russ Andrews Purifiers, Tacima, Vertex. Black Ravioli and RDC supports. Electric Beach S1NX platforms for TAD CD and Technics. Ferrite chokes everywhere except the above. Ears, brain

Mike

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12