+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Slowly building a system. Upgrades?

I'm Marc.

Wink Slowly building a system. Upgrades?

Currently my system consists of .......

Rega RP2 TT
    Dennon DRA-325 Amp/receiver, I think the amp is 45W/channel TNT’s 8 ohm.
    Dennon DCD-660 CD player
    Mourdent Short Aviano 6 floor standing speakers.

I also have a Nad 3130 amp unused at the moment.

As most of us on here I’m sure, I’m constantly thinking of upgrading. I’m quite new to owning a hi fi & most of this equipment came to me by way of my late father so not sure what’s out there apart from the TT which is a recent purchase so probably a bit of a mismatch. Though it works. & cost me nothing except for the TT obviously.

In hinsight possibly I should have gone for a better Rega TT as the power adaptor looks cheap & buzzes not through the speakers just the plug, & the phono leads look a little cheap aswell, all I could afford at the time.
    I want to upgrade the cartridge & was thinking of a Rega Elys2, would this be a markedly improved upgrade or could I do better?

Also in time I would like to upgrade the amp, as allways improved sound quality is the goal rather than pure power possibly a pre/power amp combo. Can anybody recommend a decent amp to go with what I have. probably looking at 2nd hand as I don’t have an endless budget looking to spend up to about £500 for the right gear.

Any other upgrades/ improvements worth considering?
    Many thanks for your input
    Marc.

Location: Banbury, Oxfordshire/Panteg is where my late father was born

I'm Chris.

Well I would say yes upgrade the cartridge and the natural amplifier to go for would be perhaps the Rega Brio, try and get a listen to one.

Should be able to get one second hand if you like it and save a few quid.
    Chris

We've gone on holiday by mistake !

I'm Dave.

I would agree with the above.

If you want a Brio, I do have lightly used ex-demo from time to time.

I'm Phil.

You could do a lot worse than going for a complete Rega system - I have seen RS3 speakers go for about £250 so you may be able to get a pair of them and an old style Brio R for around your £500 budget. There are certainly better speakers and amps out there but the Rega kit does have great synergy

I'm Andy.

I would agree, although I don't care for Rega cartridges. Far better out there I'd say.

I'm Marc.

Quote Originally Posted by Scooby View Post
    I would agree, although I don't care for Rega cartridges. Far better out there I'd say.
    What would you recommend for similar price to the Elys2?

I'm Marc.

While we are on the subject of Rega TT upgrades another question".....

Iv seen a few adds & eBay listings for replacement sub platters for Rega turntables. You know aluminium & steel ones reclaimed from spaceship parts, to the tolerance of a few microns or so it’s claimed����.

Do these really work in improving sound? I must admit the plastic one I have doesn’t look that great? Is it worth it?

I'm Dave.

Don't go there. I have seen, used and removed many after market Rega 'upgrades' over the years. Some make no difference at all, some make things worse and some are very poorly made. Rather than spend money on these, I would recommend you save up for a Rega further up the chain, where the improvements are tangible.

I'm Geoff.

Quote Originally Posted by hifi_dave View Post
    Don't go there. I have seen, used and removed many after market Rega 'upgrades' over the years. Some make no difference at all, some make things worse and some are very poorly made. Rather than spend money on these, I would recommend you save up for a Rega further up the chain, where the improvements are tangible.
    I'm inclined to agree.

If you buy a Rega, It'll do a good job at its price, but in my opinion, 'upgrading' is just throwing money at it that could be better used towards another turntable.

I'm John.

Quote Originally Posted by Marc1t View Post
    What would you recommend for similar price to the Elys2?
    I would say either an Ortofon 2M Blue, as there is a natural upgrade path by changing stylus head colours, or something from Audio Technica within your price range. The Goldring 1000 series also offers a similar upgrade path.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast