• No Don't use Electrostatic or Planar Speakers

19 38.00%
  • Have used before.

9 18.00%
+ Reply to Thread
Page 8 of 9 FirstFirst ... 6789 LastLast

Thread: Poll For Electrostatic / Planar Speaker Users

I'm Justin.

Post #70 was made after a few glasses of wine after a session with my brother.

The in-parallel suggestion is probably a bad idea

I'm Stephen.

Just changed from a pair of Finals (in a 2+2 configuration) to Quad 2905s.
    Thats my sixth ‘stat and 8th planar. Guess I know what I like 😋

Any other Quad 2805/2905 owners know how to change the light behind the Quad logo ?
    One speaker is fine, the other is not (yes, I have twiddled the rear knob).
    I’m hoping I can just pull the badge off and an easily replaced bulb will lie behind, but dont want to go poking and prodding too much just 24hrs into ownership.

Cheers
    Current kit :
    Music library (FLAC) on IMac or streamed via Qobuz. Fed wirelessly to Raspberry Pi / Allo Digione and into Lyngdorf digital amplification. This handles room correction and drives a pair of Quad 2905 electrostatics.

I'm openingabottleofwine.

I expect Mike Reed might be able to help you since he uses 2905s, otherwise give Quad a call.
    Barry

I'm Mike.

I've never had to investigate mine, Stephen. However, I'd echo Barry and give Quad a ring. As you can turn the lights off, why don't you just use them like that; assuming it's the front light you're talking about and not the rear 'on' light. I'd be interested in what you're driving them with and what you think of them, as you've got form with panels !

I'm Stephen.

Yes, its just the front logo.
    Driving them with a Lyngdorf 2200 fully digital amp with inbuilt room correction software.
    Just finished calibrating the room correction, added the weights and spikes. Best I could do positioning wise is 2’6” from rear wall and toed in so axes cross just in front of my nose. Can only manage 5’ between inner edges and listen about 9’ away.

Well, they ceratainly disappear ! More so than any panel I’ve yet had (Audiostatic Wings came close) with a gloriously broad sounstage and good imaging. A little less depth than I had with my much smaller Finals and woofers but hey, the Quads could do with another foot behind them I expect. I do have acoustic wall panels behind mind.

And far more, and good quality, bass than I expected. I did think of relieving them of low bass by retaining my woofers (active.y bi-amped) but, as yet, I am not feeling the need. Volume is plenty for my needs too but my old Tannoys would show them a clean pair of (coloured) heels in macro dynamics.

If you are near Somerset you would be welcome to hear the set up. Source is just Qobuz and FLAC library via a Raspberry Pi and Allo Digione card.
    Current kit :
    Music library (FLAC) on IMac or streamed via Qobuz. Fed wirelessly to Raspberry Pi / Allo Digione and into Lyngdorf digital amplification. This handles room correction and drives a pair of Quad 2905 electrostatics.

I'm Mike.

Norwich, I'm afraid, but thanks. That's a very strange amplification system to drive the 2905s, but it seems to work. You're probably right about the 2'6"; it's not a lot. Mine are driven by E.A.R pre. and two mono's (which were designed around 63s). I have four sources into my pre., so I do get v.f.m. out of the ESLs .

I have 6' between edges and sit around 12' away. I'm lucky inasmuch as I have a room (as the rear part of a through lounge) behind the speakers, but they're right up to side walls and arch as I'm a bit pushed for width. Unfortunately, there aren't any more walls I can knock down, so I'm stuck with it !

I'm Stephen.

Strange ? Not really, just different perhaps.
    As I discover more about the Quads I suspect they do not have the original mains leads as the IEC connectors, which are the usual straight ones, protrude too far for the plastic cover plate to sit flush. Did Quad used right angled IECs ?

Actually I do have other sources plumbed in - Oppo 103, Sony PS4, and Humax PVR for TV. Just nothing analogue (although the Lyngdorf does have the optional analogue input board).
    Current kit :

I'm Mike.

Hi Stephen. Yes, mine are the right-angled IEC plug. Guess I'm a bit old school where ESLs reflect valved amplification, but of course, as long as there's welly, anything above, say, 50 W/ch will suffice. Incidentally, my 2905s much prefer the 4 ohm taps on my 509s, but I don'y think non-valved amplification has this facility.

I'm a novice with ESLs, but simply can't imagine reverting to m/c speakers, despite having some really hefty ones over the decades. Re. your light, I can't see any way of accessing it except by prising off the 'Quad' tag, and I wouldn't fancy trying that, even IF that was the way in (which I doubt)

I'm Hugo.

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Reed View Post
    Norwich, I'm afraid, but thanks. That's a very strange amplification system to drive the 2905s, but it seems to work.
    I used to run Quad 57s with an early Lyngdorf TDA-2200 amplifier and it was a wondrous pairing. Lyngdorf’s particular flavour of Class D is one of those designs that genuinely laughs at difficult loads, and it showed with the Quads. Truly magnificent stuff.

I'm Stephen.

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Reed View Post
    Hi Stephen. Yes, mine are the right-angled IEC plug. Guess I'm a bit old school where ESLs reflect valved amplification, but of course, as long as there's welly, anything above, say, 50 W/ch will suffice. Incidentally, my 2905s much prefer the 4 ohm taps on my 509s, but I don'y think non-valved amplification has this facility.

I'm a novice with ESLs, but simply can't imagine reverting to m/c speakers, despite having some really hefty ones over the decades. Re. your light, I can't see any way of accessing it except by prising off the 'Quad' tag, and I wouldn't fancy trying that, even IF that was the way in (which I doubt)
    Hi Mike
    Bit of a daft request but don’t suppose you could post a picture of the angled IEC plug ? I have a feeling that Quad may have used something a bit off-piste. Thanks
    Current kit :

+ Reply to Thread
Page 8 of 9 FirstFirst ... 6789 LastLast