• No Don't use Electrostatic or Planar Speakers

19 38.00%
  • Have used before.

9 18.00%
+ Reply to Thread
Page 6 of 9 FirstFirst ... 45678 ... LastLast

Thread: Poll For Electrostatic / Planar Speaker Users

I'm Justin.

If they can only put the mic 6 foot away, you have to wonder what they have done. I'd imagine these huge planars have been dumped in a tiny room, with nowhere near the distance they need from the front wall to perform well.

I'm not defending the Maggies but I am very sceptical about what they have really done.

I'm TheMostHonestPersonYouWillMeet.

Yes Justin I just read an old HFN review of the Maggies I have and they didn't score very well at all

However they also stated that they were: "hard to put down, possibly due to the absence of the usual unpleasant speaker faults" and carried on to say "they may prove sufficiently beguiling in circumstances where musicality can be placed beyond accuracy" etc etc

They didn't 'measure' well either in the test but I guess not all speakers that 'measure' well sound good either
    Bev

Mark Levinson N°390s CD Through:Atlas Elektra XLR's To: Mark Levinson N°383 To: Magneplanar .7's

I'm Justin.

Logans typically don't do well either, with the usual complaints about panel break up and resonances.

Interestingly mine do measure well with the mic exactly at the listening position, some 12 foot away. But they do work quite differently to a Maggie or Logan. Whatever, in my case it is irrelevant, they aren't a commercial product in the normal sense of the concept.

I'm TheMostHonestPersonYouWillMeet.

I am amazed that so many people are using, or have used, electrostatic/planar speakers...
    Bev

Mark Levinson N°390s CD Through:Atlas Elektra XLR's To: Mark Levinson N°383 To: Magneplanar .7's

I'm Martin.

Default Poll For Electrostatic / Planar Speaker Users

Hi, I currently have the following across both camps - a pair of Maggies, Apogee hybrids, DM70 Continental hybrids, ELS57, and ELS63. They are all very pleasing and have their nuances. If I was pushed the ELS57 might have the edge. Martin

I'm Phil.

used martin logan summit x before and probably the best speaker i ever had . 4 years of absolute pleasure terminated sadly by my wife
    ou might slip, you might slide, you might
    Stumble and fall by the road side
    But don't you ever let nobody drag your spirit down
    Remember you're walking up to heaven

Don't let nobody turn you around
    … Walk with the rich, walk with the poor
    Learn from everyone, that's what life is for
    And don't you let nobody drag your spirit down

Eric Bibb

I'm Russell.

I didn’t own them, but a pair of Martin Logan’s gave some of the best sound I’ve ever heard! Soundstage was 3 dimensional, I had no sense of the sound coming from the speakers, just suspended in the air between and beyond them.

Of course the associated electronics were top notch, which I’m sure had much to do with it.

Russell

I'm Lee.

Maggie SMGa currently in my office. Had them for years and will never get rid of them.
    Cheers Lee

I'm gary.

hi I'm using magneplanar smga before that I had some quad 63esls and some analyses epsolons prefer the openness of panels

I'm tony.

Plumbed my 57s back in Sunday night....they beguile me,regardless of there well documented shortcomings.

They just do voices so naturally.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 6 of 9 FirstFirst ... 45678 ... LastLast