+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Inverted law of diminishing returns?

I'm jamie.

Quote Originally Posted by magiccarpetride View Post

Also, performance is a very broad category. Does it perform any better? Depending on perform what? A mini van performs better than a Ferrari when it comes to transporting a family from one place to another. Ferrari, on the other hand, performs better when it comes to rolling down the street turning heads.
    thats as maybe but whats that got to do with hifi? in terms of performance if the upgrade doesn't better your previous tonearm or turntable or amp etc then dont buy it. simple.
    My System
    John Wood KT88 Amp.
    Paradise Phono Stage
    Sony TTS-8000 Turntable.
    PMAT-1010 MK6 Tonearm.
    Ortofon Cadenza Bronze
    Sony X555ES Cd Player
    Yamaha NS1000m Speakers

I'm Martin.

So you basically get what you pay for.

I'd suggest that of all the things you can buy hi-fi is the area where there is the most chance of not getting what you think you are paying for. There's a lot of very over-priced equipment out there. (In terms of price vs performance).
    Current Lash Up:

TEAC VRDS 701T > Sony TAE1000ESD > Krell KSA50S > JM Labs Focal Electra 926.

I'm paul.

You've managed to ignore one of the most important aspect of good engineering -- quality control. Yes, it is possible to come up with good design with not much more money than bad design, but to implement it properly, you need to pony up some serious cash. And that's where we enter the pricey hi fi territory. Most of us have seen some pretty decent gear that sells for cheap and ships from China, but buying such items is a dicey game -- you may or may not luck out and get a well assembled piece. Or you may get a shoddily assembled piece, which breaks down after few hours/days.

So you basically get what you pay for.

Also, performance is a very broad category. Does it perform any better? Depending on perform what? A mini van performs better than a Ferrari when it comes to transporting a family from one place to another. Ferrari, on the other hand, performs better when it comes to rolling down the street turning heads.
    Alex, we could be fit a couple of uk mini vans inside one of your mini vans. I'm off to listen to some music.
    Bakoon 13r Denon DP80 Stax UA-70 Shure Ultra 500 in a Martin Bastin body with jico stylus, project ds2 digital Rullit aero 8 field coils in tqwt speakers

Office system, DIY CSS fullrange speakers with aurum cantus G2 ribbons yulong dac Sony STR6055 receiver Jvc QL-A51 direct drive turntable, Leema sub. JVC Z4S cart is in the house

Garage system another Sony receiver, cassette deck

System components are subject to change without warning and at the discretion of the owner.

I'm Alex.

Quote Originally Posted by Macca View Post
    I'd suggest that of all the things you can buy hi-fi is the area where there is the most chance of not getting what you think you are paying for. There's a lot of very over-priced equipment out there. (In terms of price vs performance).
    Same is true for cars, and, well, pretty much anything else.
    Don't you just hate it when you cannot detect where the post ends and a signature line begins?

Alex.

I'm Alex.

Quote Originally Posted by RothwellAudio View Post
    I did say it's a matter of opinion but I'll give an example to illustrate why I take the stance I do.
    There's a well-known audiophile who used to make a very good living from an advert in the magazines that said "new amps for old". Basically, he would take Naim amps and address their design flaws. With just a few resistors and capacitors - and not particularly expensive ones - he would transform the performance of the amps. Of course, it's time-consuming to do those modifications and I don't think he over-charged for the work, but if Naim had implemented those aspects to the design in the first place it wouldn't have made their amps any more expensive at all.
    More generally, electronics is a field where a bad circuit is just as expensive to produce as a good circuit - or a good circuit no more expensive than a bad one, if you prefer it that way round. Changing the value of a few resistors can make a huge difference and it doesn't cost anything. You just have to know what you're doing.

Loudspeakers are another example. A box that's the wrong size or a port that's the wrong length isn't any cheaper to produce than correctly sized ones. The performance depends on getting the design right, and the right dimensions cost no more than the wrong ones.

However, I will admit that things like tonearms may be a different matter. Precision engineering aluminium/brass/steel to high tolerances is probably one area where more money spent yields better performance.
    That's a very good point. But again, my contention is that it is one thing to tweak and improve a component in one's home, and a completely different thing to mass produce that same component. Mass production is riddled with its own issues, hence the need for stringent quality control. And that process costs a lot of money. The cost is then being passed on to the consumer.
    Don't you just hate it when you cannot detect where the post ends and a signature line begins?

Alex.

I'm Dennis.

The supposedly intellectual posts were up to a point very interesting, but I think the English a little clumsy which sabotaged my comprehension. I'll try again tomorrow.

Seems to me that metaphors are an odd animal, and which can take us away from a rigorous understanding; I am dumfounded that looking at different things in a different sphere can apparently further our understanding in the one we are dealing with.

It is vital to ordinate money in design to place it where it is most beneficial to the effectiveness of final result, and possible to waste it on irrelevance. I question Magico's use of airframe tolerances in their speaker cabinets; is that really an appropriate use of technology?

I'm Martin.

Quote Originally Posted by Pharos View Post
    The supposedly intellectual posts were up to a point very interesting, but I think the English a little clumsy which sabotaged my comprehension. I'll try again tomorrow.

Seems to me that metaphors are an odd animal, and which can take us away from a rigorous understanding; I am dumfounded that looking at different things in a different sphere can apparently further our understanding in the one we are dealing with.

It is vital to ordinate money in design to place it where it is most beneficial to the effectiveness of final result, and possible to waste it on irrelevance. I question Magico's use of airframe tolerances in their speaker cabinets; is that really an appropriate use of technology?
    This what I was saying. Of course it is not going to make any difference but it looks great in the sales brochure. Hi-fi is full of this sort of thing.

Cars are not so different. One US manufacturer discovered about 20 years ago that it was losing sales to a rival. The reason? The rival had more cup holders, and one of the first questions people would ask when they came to look at the car in the showroom was 'How many cup holders does it have?'

People who buy cars based solely on the driving performance, and people who buy hi-fi purely on the sound quality, are very rare. So rare that the manufacturers have no interest in them as a demographic.
    Current Lash Up:

TEAC VRDS 701T > Sony TAE1000ESD > Krell KSA50S > JM Labs Focal Electra 926.

I'm Geoff.

There is apparently, a 'law of diminishing interest'.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123