+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Can anyone help fitting an atomic clock to my VRDS x25

I'm David.

Does this have anything to do with the time of the month?

I'm Andrew.

Quote Originally Posted by mr sneff View Post
    Does this have anything to do with the time of the month?
    NO!
    SS
    CD Teac VRDS25X(Audiotuned) DECK 1210 Mat Crystal Audio Mods MN Base/Bearing/Platter+Ebony armboard Feet Isonoe PSU Paul Hynes SR7EHD-27XL/DCSXL Ag DC lead/3 Stage Regs/Recap PCB+No Pitch/Strobe/Light ARM SME V(Kondo Ag Rewire&Tags) MC Cadenza Black FGS CABLES Arm Yannis SPD-4 IC Yannis 222 Litz+Ag bullets Power WAR PRE ATC SCA2 SPEAKERS ATC 50ASL STANDS Atacama PHONO Sugden Masterclass PA4 SUT Ortofon ST80SE POWER PSAudio P10

VALVE
    PRE
    Croft Epoch(Modded) AMP Sondex S100 (Modded) SPEAKERS Tannoy 15"MG+RFC Warwick cabs+ Ref XO + Batpure supertweeters DECK Garrard 301 Mat Teunto Bearings 401(Bastin) Plinth Bamboo Arms 3009/3012 PSU Eagle+Tachometer MC Ag Meister II/FGS + Ortofon SPU MONO CABLES Arm Yannis 420.5 Litz+ SpeakerPC Tripple C+WBT-0681 Ag IC Oyaide FTVS-510 AgWBT 0110Ag Phonostages Paradise(4 Box Mega-Modded) / Croft Musicmaker

I'm James.

The Clock you link to rus at 10MHz, not very useful for CD Players, however they do say they can offer custom frquencies between 8MHz and 18MHz.

Your TEAC runs at 16.9344MHz (384 x fS) and is fully adjustable according to the manual so you can get it pretty accurate but it may drift, really very slightly, over time whereas this Atomic one, not so much.
    Have you approached them to see if they can offer 16.9344MHz? If they do then it may be possible to add this to the TEAC.

Casework Drilling isn't my strong point, especially on someoe else's kit and RF Transmission isn't my area of expertise either. Whether some 'buffer' would be needed between the 'input' to the CD Player and the Frequency input on the PCB is above my pay grade !

Jim.

I'm Svend.

Andrew, just a bit of advice -- I would look at upgrading some other key components in your player, in addition to the clock. There's more in there that affects the sound, and they are definitely worth addressing. If you do only the clock and nothing else, you may end up being disappointed that the sound quality is not as good as you'd hoped. I'd look at the machine as a whole. As mentioned, I'd be happy to list out what I did with mine, which is a very similar machine to yours. Also, if I recall, there's a service in Switzerland or Germany that specializes in modding these Teac machines -- if you're interested I can dig out that link for you, and a few other VRDS mod links (lots out there for these units).

I'm Paul.

I think that the servo clock runs at 16.9334 mhz but the oversampling and DAC chips are clocked separately buy another clock at 18.432 mhz. I imagine that changing the clock for the oversampling and DAC will provide the best results technically.

Some of the CDPs I have worked on have had robust power supplies with clean output but when you measure the power rails close to the ICs in the digital circuits they have been heavily poluted by switching noise. IMO this is something that should be looked at before new clocks.
    ~Paul~

I'm Andrew.

Quote Originally Posted by Svend N View Post
    Andrew, just a bit of advice -- I would look at upgrading some other key components in your player, in addition to the clock. There's more in there that affects the sound, and they are definitely worth addressing. If you do only the clock and nothing else, you may end up being disappointed that the sound quality is not as good as you'd hoped. I'd look at the machine as a whole. As mentioned, I'd be happy to list out what I did with mine, which is a very similar machine to yours. Also, if I recall, there's a service in Switzerland or Germany that specializes in modding these Teac machines -- if you're interested I can dig out that link for you, and a few other VRDS mod links (lots out there for these units).
    My machine is fully audiotuned modded. Thanks anyway!

Quote Originally Posted by Primalsea View Post
    I think that the servo clock runs at 16.9334 mhz but the oversampling and DAC chips are clocked separately buy another clock at 18.432 mhz. I imagine that changing the clock for the oversampling and DAC will provide the best results technically.

Some of the CDPs I have worked on have had robust power supplies with clean output but when you measure the power rails close to the ICs in the digital circuits they have been heavily poluted by switching noise. IMO this is something that should be looked at before new clocks.
    Again I think the audiotuning company did a lot of the work here.
    SS
    CD Teac VRDS25X(Audiotuned) DECK 1210 Mat Crystal Audio Mods MN Base/Bearing/Platter+Ebony armboard Feet Isonoe PSU Paul Hynes SR7EHD-27XL/DCSXL Ag DC lead/3 Stage Regs/Recap PCB+No Pitch/Strobe/Light ARM SME V(Kondo Ag Rewire&Tags) MC Cadenza Black FGS CABLES Arm Yannis SPD-4 IC Yannis 222 Litz+Ag bullets Power WAR PRE ATC SCA2 SPEAKERS ATC 50ASL STANDS Atacama PHONO Sugden Masterclass PA4 SUT Ortofon ST80SE POWER PSAudio P10

VALVE
    PRE
    Croft Epoch(Modded) AMP Sondex S100 (Modded) SPEAKERS Tannoy 15"MG+RFC Warwick cabs+ Ref XO + Batpure supertweeters DECK Garrard 301 Mat Teunto Bearings 401(Bastin) Plinth Bamboo Arms 3009/3012 PSU Eagle+Tachometer MC Ag Meister II/FGS + Ortofon SPU MONO CABLES Arm Yannis 420.5 Litz+ SpeakerPC Tripple C+WBT-0681 Ag IC Oyaide FTVS-510 AgWBT 0110Ag Phonostages Paradise(4 Box Mega-Modded) / Croft Musicmaker

I'm James.

The Clock you linked to appears to have two outputs, is it possible that the unit could be configured to give the two Clock Frequencies your Player runs on?

O/P 1 = 16.934MHz (384 x fS (16.9344MHZ))
    O/P 2 = 18.432MHz (418 x fS (18.4338MHz))

Jim.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12