+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Budget Schuko Plug Recommendations

I'm Darren.

Default Budget Schuko Plug Recommendations

Looking for recommendations for a budget Schuko Plug, say upto ~£25. Anyone have any suggestions or plugs they're looking to move on?
    Darren.
    Listening Room.
    UNDER CONSTRUCTION
    Turn Table. Garrard 401, Reso Mat, 2 Tier Slate Plinth, DIY Hadcock GH242, Nick G modded Lentek, Denon DL-103.
    Pre Amp. Croft Super Micro2. Power Amps Quad 405 Mono Blocks.
    Speakers. TBC

Home Cinema.
    UNDER CONSTRUCTION
    DAC/Pre Amp. Denon AVC X3700H.
    BDP/Streamer. Panasonic DP-UB820EB / Apple TV4K.
    Display. Optoma UHD51 / DIY False Black Window Screen.
    Power Amps. 2 x Nakamichi AVP1.
    Front Speakers. DIY Baby Celestion Ditton 66. Surround Speakers. Celestion Ditton 11. Subwoofer. BK Electronics P12 300SB PR.

Old Gallery. http://theartofsound.net/forum/showt...-of-the-70%92s

I'm Alan.

Hi Darren, I have a few Schuko plugs you can have, pm your address and i'll get then in the post to you.

Cheers, Alan

I'm Darren.

You're a Gentleman
    Darren.
    Listening Room.
    UNDER CONSTRUCTION
    Turn Table. Garrard 401, Reso Mat, 2 Tier Slate Plinth, DIY Hadcock GH242, Nick G modded Lentek, Denon DL-103.
    Speakers. TBC

Home Cinema.
    UNDER CONSTRUCTION
    Front Speakers. DIY Baby Celestion Ditton 66. Surround Speakers. Celestion Ditton 11. Subwoofer. BK Electronics P12 300SB PR.

I'm Darren.

Default Bals to it!?!

Whilst my thanks goes to Alan for sending me plugs from his own personal stash, it was obvious from the moment they arrived they were not going to work with my wire (2.5mm) or my earth arrangement (shield to earth)

In the absence of a better idea, I ordered some Martin Kaiser Schukos. I've not wired many Schuko plugs, but I really didn't get on with the Kaisers, maybe it's me and my choice of wire but I couldn't get a satisfactory connection to earth which was audibly and visually apparent upon testing.

Going back to the drawing board and searching further afield I came across the Bals 73 series plugs which seems moderately popular in Germany. A search for Bals 7372 will show this plug commonly assembled with Lapp wire and a Watt Gate IEC, so surely it has some merits? I became aware of the Bals after seeing this (http://www.hifi-advice.com/blog/revi...tors-compared/) and so ordered a couple of Bals 73's for pretty much the same price as the Kaisers.

The difference between the two is significant, not only is the Bals a joy to terminate, but it actually feels like a plug! In all testing so far (all of 4 plugs ) this has been the best Schuko I have used by a very large margin. My system feels more powerful and faster with greater focus and lower back ground noise and distortion with this plug fitted.

IMG_8469.jpg

As a budget plug I'm very happy with the Bals 73 and it makes me wonder what benefits increasing the budget could yield? If anyone has any other recommendations please share them.
    Darren.
    Listening Room.
    UNDER CONSTRUCTION
    Speakers. TBC

Home Cinema.
    UNDER CONSTRUCTION

+ Reply to Thread