+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Oppo udp-205

I'm Grant.

Quote Originally Posted by Getgaff View Post
    You might want to reconsider and look for an alternative following this announcement:

https://www.oppodigital.com/farewell.aspx

A real shame, but I can take comfort knowing my Oppo 205 won’t be replaced by a newer model any time soon!
    very odd decision.
    Regards,
    Grant .... ؠ ......Don't be such a big girl's blouse

I've said it before and I'll say it again: democracy simply-doesn't-work
    .... ..... ...... ...... ................... ..... ..... ..... ..... .....
    FIIO K7 BT, M11 PLUS, BTR7, KA5 - OPPO BDP-103D - PANASONIC UB450 - PANASONIC 4K ULTRA HD TV - PIXEL 6 - AVANTREE LR BLUETOOTH - 2* X600 SOUNDCORE - HEADPHONES INCLUDE, FIIO, NURAPHONES', FOCAL, OPPO, BOSE, CAMBRIDGE, BOWER & WILKINS, DEVIALET, MARSHALL, SONY, MITCHELL & JOHNSTON - 2*ZBOOK'S- MERCURY BD ROM, ROON, QOBUZ, TIDAL, PLEX, CYBERLINK, JRIVER - MULTI HDD'S -

Oh my god! There's nothing wrong with the bidet is there?

“Nothing discloses real character like the use of power. It is easy for the weak to be gentle. Most people can bear adversity. But if you wish to know what a man really is, give him power. This is the supreme test. It is the glory of Lincoln that, having almost absolute power, he never abused it, except on the side of mercy".

“You see these dictators on their pedestals, surrounded by the bayonets of their soldiers and the truncheons of their police ... yet in their hearts there is unspoken fear. They are afraid of words and thoughts: words spoken abroad, thoughts stirring at home -- all the more powerful because forbidden -- terrify them. A little mouse of thought appears in the room, and even the mightiest potentates are thrown into panic.”

"You don't have free will. You have the appearance of free will.”

“There's a war out there, old friend. A world war. And it's not about who's got the most bullets. It's about who controls the information. What we see and hear, how we work, what we think... it's all about the information!”

***SMILE, BE HAPPY***

I'm Bob.

That's a surprise and no mistake. Now I really have a decision to make.

Do I get one now whilst they're still available or look elsewhere?

Trouble is I'm struggling to find something similar to the 205 with the same performance and audio out options. A real head scratcher.
    Source: Orbe SE / SME IV / Cadenza Bronze
    Source: WD NAS / Cyrus Stream X2 / Chord DAVE
    Source: Oppo UDP-205 (CD/DVD-A/SACD)

Amplification: Icon Audio PS 3 Sig Phono + Audio Research LS27 + Musical Fidelity A5cr Power Amp
    Loudspeakers: ProAc Response D28
    Cables/stands: Mark Grant G1500HD + Linn K20 + Cat 5e
    Other bits: Okki Nokki keeping things clean

I'm Grant.

maybe an issue with the new dolby atmos..... i take it, it is not connected to the date
    Regards,

FIIO K7 BT, M11 PLUS, BTR7, KA5 - OPPO BDP-103D - PANASONIC UB450 - PANASONIC 4K ULTRA HD TV - PIXEL 6 - AVANTREE LR BLUETOOTH - 2* X600 SOUNDCORE - HEADPHONES INCLUDE, FIIO, NURAPHONES', FOCAL, OPPO, BOSE, CAMBRIDGE, BOWER & WILKINS, DEVIALET, MARSHALL, SONY, MITCHELL & JOHNSTON - 2*ZBOOK'S- MERCURY BD ROM, ROON, QOBUZ, TIDAL, PLEX, CYBERLINK, JRIVER - MULTI HDD'S -

“Nothing discloses real character like the use of power. It is easy for the weak to be gentle. Most people can bear adversity. But if you wish to know what a man really is, give him power. This is the supreme test. It is the glory of Lincoln that, having almost absolute power, he never abused it, except on the side of mercy".

“You see these dictators on their pedestals, surrounded by the bayonets of their soldiers and the truncheons of their police ... yet in their hearts there is unspoken fear. They are afraid of words and thoughts: words spoken abroad, thoughts stirring at home -- all the more powerful because forbidden -- terrify them. A little mouse of thought appears in the room, and even the mightiest potentates are thrown into panic.”

“There's a war out there, old friend. A world war. And it's not about who's got the most bullets. It's about who controls the information. What we see and hear, how we work, what we think... it's all about the information!”

***SMILE, BE HAPPY***

I'm Bob.

For those that have a 205, how warm does it run?

I've downloaded the manual and read the recommendation of 4" clearance at the top, sides and rear: I'd struggle to achieve 4" at the top.

Can anyone also confirm that the EU version is DVD all region and Blu-Ray region B?

(Still mystified by the 2nd April announcement - can't recall seeing anything like that from a successful manufacturer, they normally just sell out)

Thanks Bob

Amplification: Icon Audio PS 3 Sig Phono + Audio Research LS27 + Musical Fidelity A5cr Power Amp

I'm John.

Quote Originally Posted by bob4333 View Post
    For those that have a 205, how warm does it run?

I've downloaded the manual and read the recommendation of 4" clearance at the top, sides and rear: I'd struggle to achieve 4" at the top.

Can anyone also confirm that the EU version is DVD all region and Blu-Ray region B?

(Still mystified by the 2nd April announcement - can't recall seeing anything like that from a successful manufacturer, they normally just sell out)

Thanks Bob
    Mine doesn't run warm. Only around 2'' clearance above on my rack. The shelf above is slightly recessed. Does seem odd that they are stopping production of these fine machines. Owning two Oppo's, it is disappointing if true.

Last edited by prestonchipfryer; 03-04-2018 at 09:57. Reason: Additional text
    Sent by me using an appendage

SME Model 15/V tonearm, Lyra Dorian, EAR Phono Box.

Luxman 509X amp.

PMC 25 23i speakers.

Innuos/Roon/Qobuz/I-Pad. Oppo UDP-205.

Cables by Kimber, Yannis and Audioquest.

Audioquest Niagara. Tube Distinctions Mains power filter. Project RCM. Zerostat.

I'm Clive.

I’m on my 3rd OPPO (95,105D,205) and can say without doubt that the currant 205 SQ is second to none. I only use the OPPO streaming for movies and find for music it’s a bit clunky (I use a Cyrus StreamX Signature for that) but that should not put you off as SQ is not the issue here. I also use OPPO PM1 Headphones with no thoughts of changing those either.
    For SACD, DVD-A & BluRay music there is not a machine anywhere near the price point to beat it let alone match.
    My advice, simply is rush out and buy before they get as rare as hen’s teeth. OPPO’s decision to stop manufacturing is very strange but my gut feeling is that it’s something to do with OPPO in China pulling the plug because of Trumps decision to impose 25% duty on imports to America from China. All OPPO’s products are built in China and it is at the the end of the day a Chinese company.
    SOURCE:OPPO UDP-205 BluRay, SkyQ, Technics SL1210M5G/HexMat Eclipse/MN Bearing/Origin Live Gravity One puck/Isonoes with Boots/Jelco TK-850S Tonearm/Hana Umami Blue, PS Audio Stellar Phonostage. I also have an AT-OC9XSH as a spare cartridge.
    AMPLIFIER: Bryston BR-20 Pre/DAC/Streamer & Bryston 4B3 Power Amplifier
    SPEAKERS: Spendor D7 on Iso-Acoustics Gaia III’s
    HEADPHONES: OPPO PM-1 with Atlas Zeno cable, B&W Pi7 S2 and B&W C5 v2.
    CABLES: Analogue: Speaker Atlas Mavros Grun. Interconnect - Atlas Mavros XLR x3, MCRU Silver Tonearm cable
    Digital:Audioquest Carbon Ethernet x 4, Audioquest Carbon digital, English Electric 8Switch, Chord Optichord, Atlas Optical.
    Mains: PS Audio Perfectwave AC-05 x 5, Isol-8 Powerline Extreme with Quantum Science yellow fuse on input cable, Sounds Fantastic 6way Mains Blocks.
    STORAGE: Synology DS216J NAS with 2 x 3Tb WD Red hard-drives. Samsung 500Gb SSD.
    TV LG55B7 OLED

I'm Bob.

Clive, where does the signal go when playing SACD, DVD-A & BluRay music, through the Oppo DAC or out to your Cyrus DAC XP Signature and in to your system?

When you say "clunky" is this in terms of the software or the music coming out? Is your NAS relying on a WiFi link or hard cabled?

Thanks, Bob

I'm Clive.

Quote Originally Posted by bob4333 View Post
    Clive, where does the signal go when playing SACD, DVD-A & BluRay music, through the Oppo DAC or out to your Cyrus DAC XP Signature and in to your system?

When you say "clunky" is this in terms of the software or the music coming out? Is your NAS relying on a WiFi link or hard cabled?

Thanks, Bob

I will answer your questions in order.

1: I have connected by both digital and analogue between the 205 & DACXP. When playing SACD I use the analog line (necessary as SACD won’t transmit digitally) and for all else the digital.

2: Clunky refers to the way the OPPO app works when streaming. With it rarely showing artwork and rarely is gapless. The Cadence app for Cyrus is far from perfect but in comparison runs well.

3: My NAS & HiFi are all on a wired home network.
    SOURCE:OPPO UDP-205 BluRay, SkyQ, Technics SL1210M5G/HexMat Eclipse/MN Bearing/Origin Live Gravity One puck/Isonoes with Boots/Jelco TK-850S Tonearm/Hana Umami Blue, PS Audio Stellar Phonostage. I also have an AT-OC9XSH as a spare cartridge.
    AMPLIFIER: Bryston BR-20 Pre/DAC/Streamer & Bryston 4B3 Power Amplifier
    SPEAKERS: Spendor D7 on Iso-Acoustics Gaia III’s
    HEADPHONES: OPPO PM-1 with Atlas Zeno cable, B&W Pi7 S2 and B&W C5 v2.
    CABLES: Analogue: Speaker Atlas Mavros Grun. Interconnect - Atlas Mavros XLR x3, MCRU Silver Tonearm cable
    Digital:Audioquest Carbon Ethernet x 4, Audioquest Carbon digital, English Electric 8Switch, Chord Optichord, Atlas Optical.
    Mains: PS Audio Perfectwave AC-05 x 5, Isol-8 Powerline Extreme with Quantum Science yellow fuse on input cable, Sounds Fantastic 6way Mains Blocks.
    STORAGE: Synology DS216J NAS with 2 x 3Tb WD Red hard-drives. Samsung 500Gb SSD.
    TV LG55B7 OLED

I'm Bob.

Thanks Clive.

"Clunky refers to the way the OPPO app works when streaming. With it rarely showing artwork and rarely is gapless." Does everyone else with a 205 recognise this?

The non-gapless aspect would be a major spoiler for me when streaming audio, to the extent of not using it if I've understood your comment correctly.

I guess I'd have to keep the Cyrus / Leema DAC. I find the Cadence App to be disappointing and Cyrus don't seem very bothered in developing it - but that's another topic entirely.

Again, very helpful insight.

Bob

I'm Grant.

yup the app is nowt to write home about although Ive seen worse. Ive been trying streaming to my 103 from the pc and from the network hdd on the router, and that works better, and art work mostly appears. Ive also got an hdd plugged in back and although it works, is not as good.
    Regards,

***SMILE, BE HAPPY***

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast