+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Headphone amps, are they bollocks?

I'm Steve.

Default Headphone amps, are they bollocks?

Well?
    It may be that my nearly 60 years old ears are passed their best but I have been listening to my headphones via numerous amplification devices lately and it has to be said that of the stand alone headphone amps I have listened to sound no better than on board headphone outputs. Starting to think there is a little snake oil in it all to be honest.

I'm AMusicFanNotAnAudiophile.

The mists in my crystal ball are not clearing to show which devices you have been listening to.
    Pray do tell ....
    Chris

Common sense isn't anymore!

I'm Grant.

and what cans? ive 2 head amps and both are excellent to my ears
    Regards,
    Grant .... ؠ ......Don't be such a big girl's blouse

I've said it before and I'll say it again: democracy simply-doesn't-work
    .... ..... ...... ...... ................... ..... ..... ..... ..... .....
    FIIO K7 BT, M11 PLUS, BTR7, KA5 - OPPO BDP-103D - PANASONIC UB450 - PANASONIC 4K ULTRA HD TV - PIXEL 6 - AVANTREE LR BLUETOOTH - 2* X600 SOUNDCORE - HEADPHONES INCLUDE, FIIO, NURAPHONES', FOCAL, OPPO, BOSE, CAMBRIDGE, BOWER & WILKINS, DEVIALET, MARSHALL, SONY, MITCHELL & JOHNSTON - 2*ZBOOK'S- MERCURY BD ROM, ROON, QOBUZ, TIDAL, PLEX, CYBERLINK, JRIVER - MULTI HDD'S -

Oh my god! There's nothing wrong with the bidet is there?

“Nothing discloses real character like the use of power. It is easy for the weak to be gentle. Most people can bear adversity. But if you wish to know what a man really is, give him power. This is the supreme test. It is the glory of Lincoln that, having almost absolute power, he never abused it, except on the side of mercy".

“You see these dictators on their pedestals, surrounded by the bayonets of their soldiers and the truncheons of their police ... yet in their hearts there is unspoken fear. They are afraid of words and thoughts: words spoken abroad, thoughts stirring at home -- all the more powerful because forbidden -- terrify them. A little mouse of thought appears in the room, and even the mightiest potentates are thrown into panic.”

"You don't have free will. You have the appearance of free will.”

“There's a war out there, old friend. A world war. And it's not about who's got the most bullets. It's about who controls the information. What we see and hear, how we work, what we think... it's all about the information!”

***SMILE, BE HAPPY***

I'm Steve.

Quote Originally Posted by Stratmangler View Post
    The mists in my crystal ball are not clearing to show which devices you have been listening to.
    Pray do tell ....
    I listened to a Schiit valve headphone amp, a Slee Novo, a little bear valve hpa, my Audiolap 8000C pre amp a vintage Pioneer and Trio integrated amps and a NAD 3020.

I've heard the headphone output from a NAD3020 and it was shite.
    My NAD C320BEE is a lot better than its elder stable mate, and both are shown a clean set of heels by my GSP Solo SRGII with PSU1.

Which leads me to conclude that yer ears are fooked
    Chris

I'm Simon.

You're going deaf, or using very easily driven phones.
    Kuzma Stabi/S 12", (LP12-bastard) DC motor and optical tacho psu, Benz LP, Paradise (phonostage). MB-Pro, Brooklyn dac and psu, Bruno Putzeys balanced pre, mod86p dual mono amps, Yamaha NS1000m

I'm Steve.

I use Sennheiser HD600 with stock cable. I agree about the 3020. My Audiolab pre amp is pretty good though as was the aged Trio amp borrowed from a pal. According to my most recent hearing test last December they are in pretty good shape. I also use Grado SR225 headphones which are a tad more open and exciting. I remain sceptical about stand alone headphone devices.

I'm Simon.

Grado are an easy drive and the fr is awful. Try something neutral. Youll hear the difference
    Kuzma Stabi/S 12", (LP12-bastard) DC motor and optical tacho psu, Benz LP, Paradise (phonostage). MB-Pro, Brooklyn dac and psu, Bruno Putzeys balanced pre, mod86p dual mono amps, Yamaha NS1000m

I've not heard the HD-600s.
    Are they anything like the HD-650s?
    If so, that could well be why you can't hear any real differences between amplifiers.

I have heard HD-560s, and they're far more accurate than the HD-650s.
    Chris

I'm Bill.

I use HD600's and I think I may have come to the same conclusion.
    I have used the following with them-
    Heed Canamp
    Rega Ear
    Lehmann Linear
    Dragonfly Red
    Caiman SEG

The Dragonfly and the SEG have sounded the best and are probably the weakest as far as HP amps go. I have come to the conclusion that the HP amp only offers a volume control to the 600's and doesn't seem to add much else.
    Chord Mojo / Sennheiser HD600

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast